• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DirtyFlare

Bleeding Cooling System

DirtyFlare

Well after my cambelt and water pump change, i changed the coolant but im not sure if i am bleeding the system correctly.

I have undone the three bleed points i can find which are;

1. bottom of the rad

2. on the pipes that goto the heater matrix (into the car)

3. the one on the engine near the lifting point

are there any more?

I ask because the pipe that goes from the bottom of the header tank down the back of the engine to the metal pipe gets hot, the metal pipe gets hot, but the pipe from the metal pipe to the radiator doesn't get hot :) and so the radiator doesn't get hot. I left my car for about 3-5mins but the radiator didnt get hot, by this time the car was too hot to touch, i didnt want to leave it any longer as the engine might have over heated

Any help would be great

ablister

bottom radiator hose isn't a bleed valve, it's the coolant drain plug. Not done it in a while but it's the heater matrix pipe though bulkhead and thermostat housing.

Maybe your problem is a stuck thermostat? If it's stuck shut, coolant won't be circulating around radiator

matty_gti

What did your temp gauge tell you?, was it heating up at all?. You only have to undo the bleed screw on top of the hose coming from the heater matrix and one either on your T.stat housing or the one actually on the thermostat cover that takes the big hose to the rad if you have one. Either way it will bleed its self.

Matt

DirtyFlare

the temperature on the gauge was going up, i did notice what i thought could be a bleed point near the top of the rad above the thermostat which requires a 14mm alan key.

matty_gti
the temperature on the gauge was going up, i did notice what i thought could be a bleed point near the top of the rad above the thermostat which requires a 14mm alan key.

Ok, but no dont undo that. Just undo numbers 1 and 2 in your first post and then wait for a little water to bubble out from either.

Edited by matty_gti

DirtyFlare

i just had a look at the throttle body, there are two hoses that come out of it underneath, but i couldnt locate the bleed screw. Just had a look on the parts cd but that didnt help either :)

matty_gti
i just had a look at the throttle body, there are two hoses that come out of it underneath, but i couldnt locate the bleed screw. Just had a look on the parts cd but that didnt help either :(

Follow the one that goes to the t.stat housing, you should find a bleed screw :)

pug_ham

Bleed points

They are the only two in the system apart from leaving the expansion tank cap off while its running.

Graham.

DirtyFlare

lol so ive bleed my system then, was looking for ages for this other bleed screw on the throttle body, nm my mistake,

thanx for the help huys :)

Sign in to follow this