• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Spiky

Gti-6 Rev Counter Issue

Spiky

on the following thread

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...mp;hl=gti-6+rev

it's mentioned to join two of the ve+ wires together, surely this isn't a good idea???

does the ve+ not do any pulsing to ignite the spark? or is it just a constant live?

sorry i just dont understand it, but just though linking both ve+'s together was a bad i deal

anyone explain it for me??

cheers

pugrallye

no you take the negative, which is actually the ecu 'trigger' wire.. ecu creates an earth (its down to collapsing magnetic fields) and you take a feed off coils 1 and 2 (& 3 and 4 on a GTi 6 as it doesnt have wasted spark) and create circuit as posted elsewhere using 2 x diodes (4x for a gti 6) 1 x zener diode and a resistor, zener diode is blocking the 6V it 'sees' until coil is triggered (basically when rev counter sees a 0V it flicks) tried to explain it as basically as I can, sure others can elaborate more in laymans terms, but you have any doubts you should really seek guidance from an auto electrician as getting it wrong and shoving 300V up an ECU could let the black smoke out of it

Edited by pugrallye

Spiky

ok, will need to have a closer look at this when the engine comes :ph34r:

Spiky

DOH, sorry it was me being stupid, it is shown as connected to the VE- and i misread makes sense now :ph34r:

see below

gti-6-205-rev.jpg

Spiky

sorry to bring this up,

but i've got an order ready to buy these bits

see below

but i dont know what to order for the "R1"

anyone got any ideas?? preferably on www.rswww.com as thats down the road from me and i want to get them tomorrow :D

welshpug

Spiky RS dont do counter sales, I tried on monday!!! they charge a fiver for postage but you get a fiver's worth of jiffy bags :D

if you hold on till midday tommorow ish I should have finished trying to fit my adapter to my 205.

Spiky
Spiky RS dont do counter sales, I tried on monday!!! they charge a fiver for postage but you get a fiver's worth of jiffy bags :D

if you hold on till midday tommorow ish I should have finished trying to fit my adapter to my 205.

if i order and say pickup i can go pick them up, as told by the man in RS earlier :blush:

so i just need the part number for R1

welshpug

my brother is an arse! they wouldnt let him do it apparently!

199-7135

minimum order qualtity;5

Mikey G

Spiky, i got a load of diodes and resistors the other week, i have more than enough to help you if you need any :D

Spiky
Spiky, i got a load of diodes and resistors the other week, i have more than enough to help you if you need any B)

cheers welshpug top man

mikey, i want to get them tomorrow, and for 3quid it wont be breaking the bank :blush:

but really appreciate the offer :D:o

smighall

I never got that to work. You can just alter the rev counter itself and it then works fine. Basically need to solder the input wire direct onto the chip rather than through the other stuff on the board. It's detailed on here somewhere.

Spiky
I never got that to work. You can just alter the rev counter itself and it then works fine. Basically need to solder the input wire direct onto the chip rather than through the other stuff on the board. It's detailed on here somewhere.

did you use 4 diode's? or 2 ( did you connect to 2 coils or 4?)

it's not much lost if it dont work, so not to worried

welshpug

I tried to find that, but nobody's actually said where and how to do it sucesfully.

smighall

OK i'll try and find the thread.

But basically i haven't used any diodes at all, just a piece of wire soldered onto the back of the circuit board, taking the input directly to the input pin on the chip bypassing the other diodes on the rev counter's board.

welshpug

so from the topic linked above, if I do this -

PICT0013.JPG

it'll work with MP3.1??

welshpug

apologies for the size of the pic posted!

PICT0013.jpg

it did not work however, so I think someone's fibbing/withholding information...

Edited by welshpug

welshpug

the method of an adapter works :) not sure if its reading 100% yet, does anyone know if the wattage or the zener diode affects anything?

smighall
apologies for the size of the pic posted!

PICT0013.jpg

it did not work however, so I think someone's fibbing/withholding information...

That's exactly how mine is IIRC and it works spot on, are you sure you're taking the input from the correct wire out of the ecu?

welshpug

yes! theres only 1 tacho wire!

pin 21 of my mp3.1 ecu

Edited by welshpug

Spiky

well how fooking cool am i :lol::DB):)

i have my rev counter working :D

15V Zener diode,BZX85C15 1.3W rs number 812500

1N4007-E3 rs number 6289546

ER74 silicone wirewound resistor,1K 2.5W rs number 1997135

soooooooooo happy, as i dont have to worry about fitting a shift light now, and can see what revs i'm driving at

funkymofo

I'd just like to say, thanks very much for posting all the part numbers etc..........makes it so much easier for an electrical dunce such as myself to know what to order!

Spiky

you will need to attach to all four coils remember :( not just 2 :P

also like to add, i'm always helpfuly, unlike some :P

Edited by Spiky

welshpug

spot on matey :(

the 6 doesnt use wasted spark, and also drives the coils directly, so you just have to tag your adpter widget to the loom next to the ECU and connect the output to wire 112 instead of the ECU.

if its on a wasted spark and Igntion amp setup you only need 2 feeds, unless its a 4 coil app with separate outputs for each coil.

Sign in to follow this