• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

Name That Tool

Richie-Van-GTi

I need a device that I can use to push the pillars out on a car (stupidly welded my B pillar at wrong angle). I want something I can put against the cage inside and push the pillar out so needs to be roughly the width of the interior. Hoping I can hire one but dont want to look a tw4t ringing up and not knowing what Im asking for.

steve@cornwall
I need a device that I can use to push the pillars out on a car (stupidly welded my B pillar at wrong angle). I want something I can put against the cage inside and push the pillar out so needs to be roughly the width of the interior. Hoping I can hire one but dont want to look a tw4t ringing up and not knowing what Im asking for.

It's called porta-power

http://www.tools-4-you.co.uk/Body%20Repair...CFRkcEAodhBh6rA

Paintguy

As above.

If you weren't so far away, you could gladly borrow our 10 tonner for a weekend.

crogthomas

How about a bottle jack and a piece of 2x4? Secured in place with rope to stop it pinging out and hitting you in the face?

Paintguy

^^^ Depending on the distance between B post and cage, a standard car scissor jack might do the trick too :)

Richie-Van-GTi

I'll have to take it from the cage on opposite side, theres only about 1 inch between cage on post on the problem side.

Im thinking of putting the car side on to the rear end of the rover and then using a 5 ton ratchet strap from the pillar to the towbar on the rover, hopefully it will give me enough control to do it gradually.

@Paintguy, in your experience when its pulled out will it spring back at all? IE shouldit be pulled say 1/2 inch out to allow for it coming back when released?

Paintguy

Whilst it's hard to give a figure, it'll certainly spring back slightly once the tension is released.

Take it easy, pulling it a little further than required, release the strap, and see where the pillar 'rests'. You can always pull it a little further if you need to, but it's not a good idea to keep pulling it backwards and forwards if you overshoot every time (if you see what I mean)

Pugnut

post-44-1181505840_thumb.jpg

ok, so now i'm sober i've done a quick drawing of how i did both my front bars and b pillar bars . this is pushing out obviously . pushing inwards the scissor jack sounds a good idea.

just a couple of wedges nailed onto an old fence post . i needed to cut notches out of the fence post to positively locate it round the vertical bars on the cage.

cheers, Al

Sign in to follow this