• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
calvinhorse

Tu 1600 Build

calvinhorse

Ok, this is the 3rd time ive taken this engine apart without it running once! its a tu3s head on a saxo vtr bottom end, i know now not the best head or bottom end but its what i know and what i have!

I've used yamaha R6 carbs on a manifold i had made by a chap on ebay for just £85 its not brilliant but i could'nt have done any better!

the ports in the manifold where too big so ive opended the head up to match the manifold and had the waterways in the head welded up as the manifold wouldnt seal propperly (incase u wondered why!)

its not going to be raced and i dond expect it to be massive bhp i just enjoyed building it myself (and with allanallen ahem...)

post-8638-1181242189_thumb.jpg

post-8638-1181242219_thumb.jpg

calvinhorse
:)

post-8638-1181242302_thumb.jpg

post-8638-1181242329_thumb.jpg

calvinhorse

as you can see i work in an almost hospital clean environment with the most pricise surgical tools.... :)

post-8638-1181242414_thumb.jpg

Sandy

Good project, glad to see you keep a hammer close by :)

RossD
as you can see i work in an almost hospital clean environment with the most pricise surgical tools.... :)

Good project! ^_^ The 1600 bottom end might be a bit restricted with the smaller valves in that head, but the overall result will still be great fun in something as light as a 205! Are you using the TU3S cam?

Edit: Just read your sig: TU24 cam :D

Edited by RossD

smckeown

those ports look massive compated to stock, was that wise ? port velocity will be reduced significantly

calvinhorse

cheers fellas! ive done a tu3s head on vtr bottom end before using stadard carb and exhaust manifold and was well impressed, it ran a 15.4 1/4 mile and it wasnt even as stripped out as it is now ^_^

cant wait to get it running! :D

Jrod

Coming on nicely. Can always change the head over at a later date if you feel it necessary. :D

Got a few more bits for my build.

Think I have everything I need for my engine now, just need to get the car all put together then the engine can be done. :)

calvinhorse
Coming on nicely. Can always change the head over at a later date if you feel it necessary. :D

Got a few more bits for my build.

Think I have everything I need for my engine now, just need to get the car all put together then the engine can be done. :)

great stuff! what size are the webbers? are those torsion bars?

Jrod

They are dcoe 40's

Yes 23mm torsion bars and a 25mm ARB. :)

We'll be able to have a TU meet with the amount of people building fast TU's atm. :D

Edited by Jrod

calvinhorse
They are dcoe 40's

Yes 23mm torsion bars and a 25mm ARB. :D

We'll be able to have a TU meet with the amount of people building fast TU's atm. :D

sounds like a great idea, i aint putting a date on it tho! :P:)

Jrod

Will be before 2009! (I hope :D) :)

GazRallye

Hi, this is the only topic i could find on someone whos done, what i'm considering

I want to drop a vtr or 106 equivalent bottom end in and use it with my TU3s and gearbox, keeping the standard carb and cam for the time being

What are the potential problems i might encounter is it an easy, drop in and play conversion?

Is the block the same height allowing clearence for the manifold?

Will the compression ratio be affected?

Do the current ancillaries bolt straight on, alt, starater motor etc?

Is it actually worth it !?

allanallen
Hi, this is the only topic i could find on someone whos done, what i'm considering

I want to drop a vtr or 106 equivalent bottom end in and use it with my TU3s and gearbox, keeping the standard carb and cam for the time being

What are the potential problems i might encounter is it an easy, drop in and play conversion?

me and the horse did this on his previous engine, vtr bottom end, xs(tu3) head, xs carb. as far as i can remember the bottom end was a straight swap for the 1400 one, using the vtr headgasket. Think the oil filter needed altering but all the parts you need will come off the tu3 bottom end.

I think the CR is quite high when you do this conversion (please correct me if i'm talkin s*it) but it went really well and cost fook all to do.

Pm calvin, he'll remember more about it than me, al

Sandy

The CR will be very high, which will cause you problems with getting acceptable ignition timing with a distributor.

RossD

Well, as my build is also a 1600 TU.... :D This is my engine so far... 106 XSi 1600 bottom end with a 106 rallye 1600 head.

The compression ratio when using the 1.6 head is lower, as the chambers are much larger as can be seen in the shot below:

Combustionchambers.jpg

TU Build

More pics of parts here

Head with manifold

Headwithmanifoldandinjectors2.jpg

Completed build, just needs ancillaries

STA71526.jpg

Edited by RossD

RossD

Iirc, you won't be able to use the TU3S gearbox with the VTR block, you'll need a post 1992 gearbox.

calvinhorse
Iirc, you won't be able to use the TU3S gearbox with the VTR block, you'll need a post 1992 gearbox.

correct :blush:

you also need the vtr bottom rad to rear of engine hose and the vtr flywheel and timing covers.

the csc marmite manifold (for the xs) fits without modification.i used the vtr altinator and starter but the xs one can be used but the larger of the 2 altinator pullies needs the holes drilling out if using the xs one!

as sandy said the timing/advance is an issue because of the high compression pink pink PINK!!!!!

calvinhorse

correct :blush:

you also need the vtr bottom rad to rear of engine hose and the vtr flywheel and timing covers.

the csc marmite manifold (for the xs) fits without modification.i used the vtr altinator and starter but the xs one can be used but the larger of the 2 altinator pullies needs the holes drilling out if using the xs one!

as sandy said the timing/advance is an issue pink pink pink!

DaveW

DSC00054.jpg

This where mine is up to atm, not wired up yet just gotta buy a few things to do that with :blush:

GazRallye

What are the choices in respect to getting the timing ok then?

Are throttle bodies the answer, (which i cant really afford) or if i want to keep it on the xs carb, a different distro?

What are the choices if i wanted to run twin carbs with a complete vtr engine?

Shame about the XS gearbox not fitting, is the VTS one a shorter ratio than the VTR?

I really would like to go 16v but the initial cost is far more expensive, you can pick up VTRs for buttons plus I want to keep costs low and keep things simple at the moment and stick with carb.

DaveW

Are you sure the xs box does not fit? i have a ax gti one fitted to the 16v engine, and a guy with a another 205 rallye 16v has the rallye box on his 16v engine too...

RossD
Are you sure the xs box does not fit? i have a ax gti one fitted to the 16v engine, and a guy with a another 205 rallye 16v has the rallye box on his 16v engine too...

All XS boxes are pre 1992, and all 1600 bottom ends are post 1992. You can't fit a pre 1992 box to a post 1992 block I seem to remember being told. An AX GTi or Rallye box will most likely be newer that 1992. The issue isn't simply an XS box wont fit to a VTR bottom end, the issue is the 1992 changeover date :blush:

Edited by RossD

RossD

In regards getting the timing correct, you ideally would have mappable ignition so you can set less advance where needed. Because of the increased compression ratio, you dont want as much advance. You could get the XS distributor recurved to suit the new engine setup, H&H (?) ignition solutions should be able to help you out, I know a few members on here have used them.

I've got all the ignition advance curves at home somehwere for the carb TU engines, I'll take a look later to see if you could try a quick bodge in using a distributor from a different TU engine.

Edited by RossD

DaveW

Has anyone tryed to fit a xs box to a 1600 then? just to clear that up, only thing then is to find a ax gti/xsi box or a vts/gti box.

Sign in to follow this