• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

Tb'd 1360 8v Results

Sandy

I've found a moderate approach to the TU works best and the inlet tract shape/size is very important. This car was particularly interesting, because it had a heavily ported head, Chadil inlet manifold and Kent PT13 cam (315 degree) before I worked on it and was painfully flat, so much so I was convinced the bottom end was on the way out (it hasn't been touched by since). The company that built it previously had claimed it was making 140bhp, but I seriously doubt that, the injector size and duration alone prove that it wasn't. It's a completely different beast now, much more responsive, far better sounding and tangibly more powerful everywhere.

I made the point of posting the results for this one, because it is interestingly different to the engine at the start of the thread. The cams are very similar, the main differences between the engines are:

40mm vs 45mm TB's

Long rods/lightweight pistons vs short rods and heavier pistons (XSi)

Raceland 4-2-1 exh manifold vs GMC 4-1 exh manifold

Shillaber head vs my head

I can't isolate any one thing as being responsible for the difference in the spread of power, but they do feel very different.

RossD
1.4 XSi standard bottom end (pistons pocketed for valve clearance)

Lightly ported head (by me), standard valve sizes.

Catcam 4900646

Kent vernier pulley

Sandy Brown DCOE inlet manifold (the prototype!)

Jenvey downdraught pattern 45mm bodies with adapters to fit DCOE flanges

40mm trumpets

GMC 4-1 exhaust manifold

Pugsport system

Omex 500 ECU.

Thanks to Mark Davey for keeping the faith!

What sort of compression is this engine running then, I see you have pocketed the pistons, so does this mean you have raised compression by decking the block? The 646 cam only has circa 2.3mm lift at TDC, so there should be plenty of clearance as standard??

Another fantastic result from Sandy & co!

Sandy

The head has been skimmed heavily, it does need the pockets the way I've set it up. CR is approx 11.4:1.

pug_ham

Two good spec engines with great results.

When did they stop making the 1.4 engined 205? Or any 205 suitable. I know I've seen a P reg 205. :)

Ideas for a new daily driver project.;)

Graham.

DaveK

how much roughly do you charge for this mate? phenomenal work!!

Sandy

Thanks Graham, I think they were still selling to 1.4 in 1996, Cat equipped obviously.

DaveK, I'm not in the habit of building engines generally, these are cars that I look after wholesale and the first one is a bit of a test bed. But to give you an idea of what it would take to get a standard engine to that spec:

Bottom end including donor parts ~£600

Head ~£450

Cam, pulley and springs ~£350

Exhaust manifold ~£150

Inlet manifold ~£250

Throttle bodies with ancillaries ~£600

ECU and loom ~£850

Mapping ~£350

Inc VAT

Sign in to follow this