• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
KaspaCti

Ignition Barrel Wiring

KaspaCti

Hi,

I've done a search but can't find a definitive answer to my question, which is.....

Is it possible to swap the wiring from one ignition barrel to another? The wiring on mine has been hacked to pieces at some point to fit an immobiliser. When I bought the car the guy had lost the immobilser fob so I just removed it all and joined what was left of the wires. This has made the loom very tight and I worry about it coming apart and shorting to the steering column.

I don't really want to fit a new barrel as it would mean a different key. I have had a look in my local breakers and was going to remove a barrel with good wiring to have a play with, but of course the breakers didn't have the keys so I couldn't get any of the barrels out :D.

So a second question.... Can the wiring be removed with the barrel still in the column?

Sorry just thought of a third question. Where's the best place to get a barrel and wiring from (I guess most breakers don't have the keys handy) Ebay?

Any advice is much appreciated

Cheers

Sean

Rob_the_Sparky

You could do it properly and get a full lock set from a car that is being broken. Base models are good for this as they generally haven't been hacked for imobilisers.

AFAIK you can't easily disconnect the wires even with the barrel out. You could cut off the mess you have and joint on a length of loom from another barrel. Depends how good you soldering skills are whether you are happy to do this.

I'd personally get a lock set from a breaking thread on here or one of the other Pug clubs. A chunk of loom isn't hard to get from a scrappy though.

Rob

TEKNOPUG

Just attach some longer wires?!

TEKNOPUG

I've got a spare barrel and key with wires if you need one.

KaspaCti
You could do it properly and get a full lock set from a car that is being broken. Base models are good for this as they generally haven't been hacked for imobilisers.

AFAIK you can't easily disconnect the wires even with the barrel out. You could cut off the mess you have and joint on a length of loom from another barrel. Depends how good you soldering skills are whether you are happy to do this.

I'd personally get a lock set from a breaking thread on here or one of the other Pug clubs. A chunk of loom isn't hard to get from a scrappy though.

Rob

Cheers Rob,

I know what you mean about getting a lock set, but it seems a lot of work if I could just change the wiring over on the barrel. All my locks are on the same key so I'm loathe to take all the skin of my knuckles (again :D ) fishing around in the doors tring to connect the new locks. But if you don't think you can remove the wiring I might have to. My soldering is pretty good but I'd like that factory fresh confidence ;) if possible.

Sean

KaspaCti
I've got a spare barrel and key with wires if you need one.

Cheers TEKNOPUG. Might be worth having a play to see if it can be done. I'll PM you

Sean

pug_ham

Yes, the wires can be swapped over. I've done it before to keep a single key for the car.

There are just two screws at the back of the ignition barrel which hold it all togther but its a fiddly job.

Graham.

SamGTi

I would try to avoid opening up the barrel at all costs if I were you. I tried this just last week and I couldn't for the life of me get it back together properly so I ended up just getting a replacement barrel anyway which was a simple plug-in fix!

TEKNOPUG

You need to use a little blue-tac to keep the spring in place.......

pug_ham
I would try to avoid opening up the barrel at all costs if I were you.
To swap the wiring on the back you don't need to open the barrel up much, definately no spring involved other than the steering lock but iwth that extaneded the wire plug just slides out.

As long as the key is in the same position on the barrel you are swapping to it should fit straight on. You just need to check the Y shape on the wires plug will match the pins on the key side of the barrel & then refit the end & tighten the two screws.

Graham.

post-71-1181229735_thumb.jpg

TEKNOPUG

Youll need to separate the black plastic cover from the main wiring body to allow access to the clamps that hold the wires in place. When doing so, youll release the spring. Its not a major problem, just a little fiddly. I cant really see a way in which the ignition barrel will break except if someone has forced it with a screwdriver. It will be far easier to just cut the wires and solder them to the wires from another barrel. If you buy a complete lock set, will it come with an ignition barrel sans wires? If so, Id be inclined to go to a breakers and try and swipe the barrel, key and locks from another 205.

pug_ham
Youll need to separate the black plastic cover from the main wiring body to allow access to the clamps that hold the wires in place.
No you don't, the wires are seperate in the above picture & are ready to swap to a different barrel. Thats how I did/do it anyway.

There was no reason to seperate the black plastic cover to get inside & have to mess around with the spring etc.

An ignition barrel can break, eventually they can loose the return spring from the start position so you have to move it back by hand but catching your keys with you knee can then move it so the starter engages again whilst driving along.:)

A new ignition barrel comes complete with the wiring & nothing needs taking apart on it for fitting apart from getting the old one out.

Graham.

KaspaCti

Thanks for all the help guys.

Sorry for the late reply, I've not been on the board for a few days.

Really good info on splitting the wiring from the barrell, cheers pugtorque/teknopug. managed to get hold of another barrel so I'll have a go at breaking that one :unsure: before I attack the one on the car.

Thanks again

Sean

Sign in to follow this