• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
FinalD

Starting Problems & Tuning

FinalD

Hi,

I'm new here. I run a Peugeot 205 XR, it's a 1988 car, petrol, 1360cc with a manual choke, as far as I can tell it is a TU engine.

I've done a few searches on the problem I'm having with the car starting, and I think I may have found a few solutions, but incase they don't work, I figured I'd mention it in this post. When trying to start the car, sometimes it has no spark, or atleast as far as we can tell it doesn't. The ignition module on the coil has been replaced as it was thought to be that causing the problem, it still does it, so it's not that. There is a multi-plug that goes into the coil with four wires on it, only one of them carries a signal when the key is turned, which is a 15v signal, I'm sure there should be more than that if there are 4 wires.

Anyways, onto the second part, which I admit I have not searched for, so I can be flamed if it has been posted many times before :D

Basicaly when the car does start, it sounds very wrong, so I'd like to tune it, I have a plethera of tools at my disposal, and was wondering if I could get a hand as to how I could go about tuning the car. It's noisey and has a random high pitched whine when it's running every now and then. If needed I can start it and record the noises and post it up if it'll aide peoples ability to help me.

Cheers,

Rob

djinuk

check your cambelt timing for starters dude, very easy on this engine , even i have done it, just do a search on how to do it , but all you will need to lock the top cam and the bottom flywheel is a 8mm drill bit and a bolt. I would get the carb tuned via a garage, and as for the dizzy timing, well im trying to work out how to do this :D

FinalD

Well I just finished cleaning it, WOW it looks better. ;)

Then I took her for a spin, fired up first time, doesn't like the choke, sounds like it's about to stall with it on, which says to me that it's running rich - flooding it, plus it smells of fuel when fired up, like excess.

Man she flys! :o:) I took her for a wee test 'around the block' as we call it, which is about 1-2miles of country roads around my house, handeling was brilliant, and it really shifts...never got to 5th and I got some *cough* speeds.

It does feel like it's running rich though, and the tracking needs doing. I'll pop into my local wheel place soon for the tracking, only problem about tuning is I know not of a decent place that doesn't require like a couple weeks booking in advance...but then they really tune them well, for efficency and speed :D

Having driven etc. I'm not so sure it's a no spark, I think it could have been over fueling, aswell as iffy carb jets, which are now clear, as when I had it sat outside the house and revved it, it had a sligh loss of power when I revved on the pedal, and now it's fine.

Rob

johnnyboy666

my cars not too keen on the choke either, a lot of people i know with tu 205s pull the choke fully out when starting which just seems like madness to me, i pump the throttle once or twice before starting, turn the key, give the throttle a quick pump then pull the choke out about the length of the end of my thumb before the revs drop :D works every time

FinalD

I find that (at the moment certainly), it doesn't need choke at all, which says to me that the reason it wasn't starting before is because when people start it, they use the choke, and maybe pedal too, so it floods it...giving it nospark...or more to the point not allowing it to fire due to amount of fuel.

I think that it is over fueling though, which obviously doesn't help...although I don't like chokes, so it over fueling is actually handy ;)

I'll take it into town tomorrow I think, to get it all sorted...then knowing my luck it'll turn out to be some stupid fault elsewhere :D

Rob

FinalD

Well, I was wrong.

The car now won't start, I wanted to take it into town to fill it up and get the tracking done as I've been offerd a job, starting tomorrow at 8am...fine...but the tracking needs doing as I'm not driving 50miles with it out, and the car has about a 1/4 tank fuel...which isn't enough. :)

I can't find the spark socket either, so it's not like I can check the plugs (which are supposidly fine), typical, it seems to work, then decides that it wont. I now can't get the tracking done till Sat as the place closes at half 5 on week days, and I'll be 50+miles away.

Going to have to use my dad's rusty old rover I think :angry:

So I'm back to square one.

Rob

djinuk

have faith my friend, dont rush the poor tu engine, once u have set everything up it will look after you :)

FinalD
have faith my friend, dont rush the poor tu engine, once u have set everything up it will look after you :angry:

See that's the problem, getting it set up ;)

Well I got mum to call the AA out (as she has home start on her policy, and nmy RAC cover doesn't), and they said that it's probably the coil, but could be the dizzy (not sure if he meant cap or the whole thing), and mum said he mentiond something about the crank case. :)

But the only problem was that it was a local garage man, and not the real AA who are good, and the bloke was a bit of a plank..."Is it petrol or deisel"...now personally if I were a mechanic...the engine would tell me that...oh and the smell of petrol it gives off once you've flooded it...like he did.

It smells a little rich when it does run, to me anyways, but my brother said it went through the MOT fine on emmisions, still I want to get it tuned, to make sure like.

Well I tried to get the car sorted before I came home from uni part way through my exams, so I could get myself home, but my brother couldn't be botherd to get it sorted. So no I am home and have been given a job, I need a/my car...and I hate driving my dad's 216 GSi...so the poor 205 is going to be rushed.

Rob

FinalD

Got back from my new job today all tired etc. and thought 'At least I can take the 205 in tomorrow as mum has gotton a new coil whilst I've been working'...alas it's a coil for a 1.1 205, and the plug connection has the blades horizontal, and I need verticl ones...so will be using the *shuders* rover tomorrow.

I hope a new coil is what'll fix it though, I want my car now!! :P

Rob

djinuk

if you rust things buddy you will be forever pilling money into the car

FinalD

:):):P:D:angry:

Put a 'new' (I hate scrappies) coil on the car, and now it doesn't start even once (before I could get like 1-2 starts per day)!

The car was meant to be on the road about 3-4 weeks ago, and I wouldn't have had this agro if it had been done then, but my lazy brother couldn't be botherd to sort it before I cam back from uni.

I am now about to send the thing to the scrappers it'self, I'd rather cancel everything on the car and quit my new job than drive my dad's rover to work again! It's a rusty, faulty, smelly, boat of a car that doesn't deserve an MOT! I want my car, I've spent hundreds of £ on it, and I can't use it!

if you rust things buddy you will be forever pilling money into the car

I was not trying to rush it, as I thought that the darn thing would be sorted ages ago as stated above, but I didn't know hoe lazy my brother was going to be.

In all honesty I'm thinking of chucking the old coil back in there, and hoping it'll start tomorrow, so I can get to work in something that isn't going to fall apart as soon as I get in it. Then if it doesn't work for the way home, just call the RAC and say 'fix it now, here's my card!'!! - It's about the only sane way I can sort this out really, as I need my own car for work, and my dad uses his car on Thursdays and Fridays (doesn't need it, but he uses it), which says seeing as I just emptied the tank I should use my own car.

The rover has a brilliant habbit of when you turn it off once warm it will not start again for about 20mins...I thought this was fixed...found out on my way to work, it was not, almost ended up late, and I'm really not meant to be late. Which also means I can't fill that thing up with fuel this evening or tomorrow morning before work, unless I leave really early again.

Rob

Edited by FinalD

FinalD

:)

It fires fine now, just as I thought (and said to my brother - who knows more than me about cars :D), that the dizzy unit was knackerd. He was like, oh no it can't be that, it'd never be that...rummaged in his spare 205 bits, found a dizzy the same, swaped them...oh look it works fine. :)

He then tells me "you can't thrash the car till it's tuned, also with those wheels you can't thrash it like the 306 'cause it'll crash" - I then point out that with the current wheels on the 205 (steelies from the 306 - XLd - my old car, now his), when they were on the 306 you couldn't push it else it'd flake out, so he said something like I can't push the car the same way as the 306 with the 205 1.9 GTi alloys on it. I'm standing there washin my hands thinking "Well DUH!!".

Then he went off on one about me having crashed my Renault 5...gawd he really doesn't drop things, that was over two years ago, I have improved in car driving sense since then...belive it or not...as I've seen he hasn't, he drives the 306 like it is a 205 GTi :P

Anyway, main point, car now works, and it is due to what I thought it was early on. :angry:

Tuning and tracking are out, but I can't get them done till the weekend, as I work 8am-5pm 50miles from home.

Rob

calvinhorse

sounds like your havin a fun time! get some pictures up!!!

FinalD

I have some piccies...on my photobucket account, I'll link the album here, I am now a happy bunny. :blush: It has pull even up hill in 5th at 70, very nice. I'm not used to the accelerator yet though, as it's very twitchy which is rather anoying when driving around town.

I left work earlier and overthrottled and squealed one (atleast) of the tyres at some lights, I meant to pull away quickly, but not scream it away :)

Also I was amazed, put £30 of fuel in (made it a full tank) before work, then went to work and got back and it still says it's a full tank...I thought that it may drink fuel, but even it it's rather badly tuned state it doesn't drink. :D

Oh, and the gearbox (your sig reminded me), it's a short range box...soooo nice, my mate had a 1.1 a while ago, and it had a really long range on it, 1st was like in the passenger footwell, this one is nice and tight, so easy to quick shift.

I was also thinking about (at a later date), getting an aftermarket air filter (along with pipe to allow for a cold feed, not hot), is this pointless and just 'chavvy'? Also it it is worthwhile and not 'chavvy' then where abouts would the best place be for a filter?

Edited by FinalD

Casanova

Ah, ignore the fuel gauge - mine takes 50 miles to move off the full mark. Glad you're up and running though, car looks good, in lovely shape. With the twitchy accelerator, it can be a very simple thing (was on my Junior) of the split pin (the one that holds the plastic sleeve of the accelerator cable in the bracket on the carb/manifold) catching and making the acceleration snatch past a certain point. Just a little thing to check.

§

Sign in to follow this