• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
16v205

88mm 306 1.9 Crank

16v205

Hi

Ive had a look around but cant find the info needed. Ive heard that the xu9 diesel cranks are the same as the mi16 cranks but looking on the pug catalogue they are a different part number.

Does anyone know for sure if there the same? Would it be a suitable replacement for a 88mm mi16 crank? and will it fit the block without any castings/spraybars etc getting in the way?

Cheers

Rich

16v205

No one any ideas or seen/measured one? :lol:

Baz

I'd be quite interested to know too, being a lot easier to get hold of.

Hilgie

They have differnt partnumbers for reasons unknown to me. But they are definately the same item. Same sizes and double webbing.

Baz

Excellent. I'll find some time soon to take one out. :D

Cheers Hilgie.

smighall

I think they only have 4 counterbalance weights as opposed to 8 on the mi cranks?

Baz

I've been donated a couple of 1.9TD lumps so will take one out and compare them with an Mi crank just to be sure.

16v205
I think they only have 4 counterbalance weights as opposed to 8 on the mi cranks?

Id heard something about the balance weights before but was unsure. I dont know how only having 4 balance weights would really affect the reliability of the crank assuming its only going to do 7500rpm max.

It'd be nice to know one way or the other if the diesel cranks are usable as then well have loads of easy spares for our mi's when they spin a shell :D

Rich

RossD
Id heard something about the balance weights before but was unsure. I dont know how only having 4 balance weights would really affect the reliability of the crank assuming its only going to do 7500rpm max.

It'd be nice to know one way or the other if the diesel cranks are usable as then well have loads of easy spares for our mi's when they spin a shell :D

Rich

They could be different part numbers due to very minor differences, such as material composition or bearing undercuts for example!

Hilgie

Dieselcranks have 8 counterbalance weights as well....

JERAM

The diesel crank does not clear the oil sprays on the block of the MI

RossD

So the counterbalance weights are bigger?

Kev-G
So the counterbalance weights are bigger?

Counterweights are straight and don't feature the chambfer to clear the oil spays on the Mi.

Baz

Haven't actually removed one yet, but took some pictures of one still in situ, will hopefully give enough to compare;

Dcrank.jpg

DSC00200.jpg

DSC00199.jpg

And an Mi crank for reference;

DSC00203.jpg

HTH! :blush:

Looks to me as if the diesel item doesn't have the same webbing/counterbalances as the Mi item, and from what's been said perhaps not ideal for the spray bars, although it looks as if the chamferring is present on the diesel one as the Mi one? (If i'm thinkinh/looking at the same parts on the crank meant above anyway! :))

Any thoughts?

DrSarty

Well my XU11D crank (from a 'P' or 'R' plate 2.1TD 406), which is a 92mm crank, dropped straight in to my (iron) S16 block and span without fouling. See my thread - Matt of QEP did comment on this; he seemed quite surprised.

And Baz - your piccy links are FUBAR'd!

Rich :)

Edited by DrSarty

Kev-G
Haven't actually removed one yet, but took some pictures of one still in situ, will hopefully give enough to compare;

Looks to me as if the diesel item doesn't have the same webbing/counterbalances as the Mi item, and from what's been said perhaps not ideal for the spray bars, although it looks as if the chamferring is present on the diesel one as the Mi one? (If i'm thinkinh/looking at the same parts on the crank meant above anyway! :))

Any thoughts?

That's only got single counterweights therefore is equivalent to an 8v crank....It would certainly fit an Mi, but wouldn't be desired.

1.9 and 2.0 Mi's feature different sprays - 1.9 are 'bars' with go front to back, across the cylinder. 2.0 are smaller 'jets' if you like which sit to one side.

JERAM
Well my XU11D crank (from a 'P' or 'R' plate 2.1TD 406), which is a 92mm crank, dropped straight in to my (iron) S16 block and span without fouling. See my thread - Matt of QEP did comment on this; he seemed quite surprised.

And Baz - your piccy links are FUBAR'd!

Rich :blush:

mmm, a diesel crank will not fit a alloy block with oil sprays. it will fit a iron 2.0ltr MI block.

i thought we were talking about a 1.9 MI 88mm :)

16v205

So were saying a diesel crank will fit the iron block as the spray bars are different but wont fit a alloy mi block.

Is there a good reason not to use the 88mm diesel crank assuming its the one with 8 balance weights? Is it heavier or does it have different sizes journals?

Rich

B1ack_Mi16
So were saying a diesel crank will fit the iron block as the spray bars are different but wont fit a alloy mi block.

Is there a good reason not to use the 88mm diesel crank assuming its the one with 8 balance weights? Is it heavier or does it have different sizes journals?

Rich

I thought it was only the 1.9 turbodiesel cranks that had the 8 counterweights, while normal 1.9D engines just have 4 counterweights.

The 2.1 crank is one different story anyway, it's a forged item while the others are cast afaik.

Baz

The pics above is a '98 1.9TD engine from a Xsara!

petert
The 2.1 crank is one different story anyway, it's a forged item while the others are cast afaik.

I must inquire how much a new one costs. Diesels are so rare over here, that they attract premium prices at the wreckers.

Edited by petert

RossD
I must inquire how much a new one costs. Diesels are so rare over here, that they attract premium prices at the wreckers.

From the dealer, inc VAT, a 2.1TD crank is...... £1141.98 retail. Might be able to get some discount if you are in the trade or owners club etc.

(The joys of having access to Citroen parts price list :) )

Sign in to follow this