• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chesney

Restoration To Begin

chesney

Got the 205 in bits in the garage and gave the rear end the once over after removing the beam.

Found a few areas of rust where the rear 1/4's meet the sills and inner wings and some non structural areas on the boot floor area. A mate at work is very handy at welding and we're planning to put new sills on it, cut the rear arches back to good metal and weld in a section of rear arch and blend it all back in. Tidy up the boot floor and get it all well treated.

I have seen on Hadrian's site that sills and arches are listed but no inner wheel arch. I have heard Auto Supplies are good too. Trouble is Hadrians don't list GTi rear wings and its just base models. Just want to be sure all panels can be sourced.

Looking forward to getting it sorted. My weld/fabricator mate has an old Cav gsi 16v and had to do similar to it and has made an outstanding job as it all looks factory!!

Will try to get some pics up

Richie-Van-GTi

gti rear quarters can be bought, I just bought a base model one of eby recently though as it was a genuine pug one, the pattern ones are known to be porr fitting and often not galvanised so will rust quickly.

Id reccomend getting the quarter off before deciding on anything, I took mine of to be greeted by a massive mess (B pillar rotted away and only attached by a 'teabag' of metal). The inner arch assuming you mean the actual curved part around the wheel is pretty simple to make up yourselves.

the bae models just need trimmiing and drilling for the arch trims :)

chesney

Cheers Richie.

Mate was up checking out the bits he will need to weld and replace. Reckons its nothing in comparison to his cavvy and will be easy to sort. Just need to get some body panels.

We were thinking if it was possible to get a new boot floor then it may be worthwhile replacing it and the box section that holds the rear of the rear beam. Not that its rotten but has a 3 small holes in it now after poking the rusty bits!!

Front wing/light area seems quite solid but as its a 205 rot area we will tidy it up and treat it. Few areas down the exhaust tunnel that have a few bubbles of rust so get them sorted too.

Edited by chesney

chesney

Stripping continues.

Still not got door off (sorry KevG but still not sure if I will need one until I get it off).

Got the new sills and rear arches and also a rear beam mount section from the pug dealer. Was a bargain at £25 so asked about a full boot floor and it was £400 !!! Er think I'll just plate it up!

Ripped the interior out carefully and can now get at the floor pan from inside. Will need to get the fuel tank off which looks like a mission cos the bolts are seized and rusty so think a nut cracker and new bolts will be needed. Upper side of floorpan looks surpisingly solid with a few minor holes, worst of which are to the sides of the seat belt anchors. Easy weld up job though but will be much clearer once the tanks off!

Anyhoo here's a pic for anyone interested ^_^

floorpan.jpg

mattmk1
Stripping continues.

Still not got door off (sorry KevG but still not sure if I will need one until I get it off).

Are you unbolting the doors or trying to get the hinge pins out? The pins can be a real pain, easier to unbolt them in my experience .

Looks a nice project, should keep you busy. £400 for a boot floor :)

chesney

Got a fair bit of work done this weekend. Mostly to the inside of the floorpan. Couldn't believe how thin the metal is in there and we set about grinding out the holes and rusty areas.

Also got a rear arch sorted and spot welded in place. Need to trim it as it was a std 3dr one.

Hoping another 2 days of work will have the shell done and ready for painting. Not sure when this will happen though I'm fecked :unsure:

DSCF2132.jpg

DSCF2130.jpg

paul205mi16

Don't surpose you have any better pics on the rear arches and on the inside where the inside arches joins on the under side.Ta.

Paul.

chesney
Don't surpose you have any better pics on the rear arches and on the inside where the inside arches joins on the under side.Ta.

Paul.

Will try to get some before and after of this area cos the rear inner arches need a section made up after cutting the rust out. Will be the tricky bit cos there are no pattern parts for this area.

chesney

As ever these things end up taking longer than planned. Doesn't help that I've moved and the car is 200 miles away! Have done quite a bit in the last 2 months but not as far ahead as hoped.

Inside floorpan is sorted. Spent a lot of time cleaning and grinding out the rot underneath and next task is to put plates in the areas that have holes. The metal that isn't structural really is wafer thin and the slightest bit of rust ends up being a hole. Thankfully its not anywhere load bearing so happy to weld in small plates where needed.

Rebuilt the rear beam and painted it up. Now ready to go back on. Just need to finish the underside and then get it all treated and sealed. Painter plans to use something called shoots as an underseal. Never heard of it!

DSCF2133.jpg

Sign in to follow this