• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ajones12

Selecting Reverse

ajones12

Sat in my car last night mentally preparing myself for the MOT next Monday (car is currently SORN) I thought I'd double check the gears as I've replaced the clutch and generally making brum brum noises imagining what it going to be like to finally drive the thing.

I put it into reverse, but I didn't have to push the gear stick down - it just seem to push in normally as you would for any of the forward gears :( and this piece of plastic fell onto the floor :D :

DSCF0562.jpg

Any thoughts as to what's going on? Sorry about the fuzzy image!

M@tt

iirc it covers one of the holes on top of the gearbox i think somewhere around the clutch arm.

Not sure that it would affect the gear selection though tbh

Baz
I put it into reverse, but I didn't have to push the gear stick down - it just seem to push in normally as you would for any of the forward gears :(

As it should, you have no worries there. :D

ajones12
As it should, you have no worries there. :)

So you don;t have to push the stick down to select reverse then? :)

gti-si

No? :) Haha. The BE3 (reverse under 5th) is selected like any other gear. The BE1 is a lift up reverse and thats next to 1st. You have no worries. The plastic piece is unrelated I think, not a clue what it is though

Anthony
So you don;t have to push the stick down to select reverse then? :)

No. BE3 gearboxes (reverse below 5th) go straight into reverse, whereas BE1 (reverse next to 1st) have a lift-up mechanism on the stick

ajones12
Hi !

See this :

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...c=73266&hl=

hope this helps ! :)

Damir

It sort of helps!!?? I also have no lift up mechanism on the gear stick and reverse is shown as being to the left of first. I've no idea on the history of this car - could it be a 1.6 box fitted?

I'll see if I can move the car tonight backwards!!

ajones12
It sort of helps!!?? I also have no lift up mechanism on the gear stick and reverse is shown as being to the left of first. I've no idea on the history of this car - could it be a 1.6 box fitted?

I'll see if I can move the car tonight backwards!!

I moved the car backwards this morning by moving the stick to the left of reverse, no lift up mechanism on the stick, no pushing down needed - she just slotted in so to speak!

Is this normal? Help!!

jackherer
I moved the car backwards this morning by moving the stick to the left of reverse, no lift up mechanism on the stick, no pushing down needed - she just slotted in so to speak!

Is this normal? Help!!

no, if reverse is by first gear then you should have to pull UP a sleeve on the gearstick to select it. If that isn't needed then the lift up reverse cable must have been disconnected from the gearbox by somebody, probably because the cable has broken.

ajones12
no, if reverse is by first gear then you should have to pull UP a sleeve on the gearstick to select it. If that isn't needed then the lift up reverse cable must have been disconnected from the gearbox by somebody, probably because the cable has broken.

Ok, where does the lift-up cable come from on the gearbox? When I removed the gearbox to change the clutch, I only removed one cable and that was the clutch. Plus there isn't any sleeve on the gear stick!

Presumably the gearbox will still function ok without that mechanism in place.

Does this suggest a Be1 box?

jackherer

Yes its a BE1, the gearstick will function fine without it, theres just a risk of selecting reverse instead of first.

The cable should screw into the top of the gearbox.

pug_ham
Ok, where does the lift-up cable come from on the gearbox? When I removed the gearbox to change the clutch, I only removed one cable and that was the clutch. Plus there isn't any sleeve on the gear stick!
See attached picture, there should have been three cables, clutch, reverse lockout & speedo cable.
Presumably the gearbox will still function ok without that mechanism in place.
It will work but you need to be very careful that you don't accidentally select reverse instead of first when you stop.
Does this suggest a Be1 box?
Yes, if you don't have a sleeve on the gearstick either the gearstick has been changed or the car has the wrong gearbox fitted. What year is your car?

Graham.

post-71-1180979459.jpg

ajones12
See attached picture, there should have been three cables, clutch, reverse lockout & speedo cable.

It will work but you need to be very careful that you don't accidentally select reverse instead of first when you stop.

Yes, if you don't have a sleeve on the gearstick either the gearstick has been changed or the car has the wrong gearbox fitted. What year is your car?

Graham.

Thanks for your reply Graham. My car is registered I think as 1991, but from memory I don't have the outlet circled in red as shown in your picture - I'll have a look tonight.

Is it a straightforward job to fit a new cable? Where does it go through the bulk head or does it follow the route of the gear linkage?

pug_ham

I've never fitted a cable sio couldn't really say if it is a straight forward job or not but it shouldn't be that hard imo.

A 1991 registered car should amost certainly have a Be3 gearbox, what is the gear selection pattern shown on your gearnob?

AFAIK the cable runs from the gearbox to the bulkhead & then under the car to the gearstick where it then runs up to the collar for the outer cable & the inner connects to the sleeve somehow.

m@tt might be able to help better as he has swapped a Be1 gearstick after his broke after his homemade quickshift broke. :) I'll aim him in this direction soon.

Graham.

ajones12

Thanks for the reply Graham.

The pattern on the gear knob shows reverse to the left of 1st and an arrow underneath it. Having had a quick look last night (bit pushed for time so couldn't remove the air intake etc.) where your red circle is showing the location of the reverse lock out, I have got a brown electrical plug which I assume is the speedo cable? I couldn't see the reverse lock out, but it could have been hidden underneath the air hosing etc.

I should have a bit more spare time later in the week to have a proper look.

steve@cornwall

Lifter cable comes through the bulkhead (should be a 2cm by 1cm grommet) under the dash, passenger side. it comes into the cabin under the heater and is clamped in place by the metal plate that holds the lower gearstick gaiter in place.This plate is different to the BE3 one.Also if your gearstick doesn't look like this you'll need a be1 stick,too

post-7883-1181117432_thumb.jpg

pug_ham
The pattern on the gear knob shows reverse to the left of 1st and an arrow underneath it. Having had a quick look last night (bit pushed for time so couldn't remove the air intake etc.) where your red circle is showing the location of the reverse lock out, I have got a brown electrical plug which I assume is the speedo cable? I couldn't see the reverse lock out, but it could have been hidden underneath the air hosing etc.

Thats strange if your car is a 1991 model it should have a Be3 (reverse below fifth) gearnob, sounds like someone has swapped the gearbox etc over but not fitted the reverse lockout cable because it was to much hassle.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this