• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Doc1806

1.6 Gti Starting Issues When Warm

Guest Doc1806

Ugh, My 1.6 GTI has some starting issues! ive had a quick search on here and found nothing (maybe im missing something)

it starts first time every time when the engine has been sat for a while and is cold. If i drive or leave it running for a few mins then switch it off, and try to restart it, it doesent like it.

It turns over fine, but it just wont fire when the engine is warm(ish)

I took it to a garage they had a look, its getting fuel to the engine, its got a healthy spark, so they said its an electrical issue.

Took it to auto electrician, he said its a sure fire mechanical problem. So im completely perplexed.

Ive replaced the temperature sensor to no avail, its had new plugs and leads, still no avail. Ive cleaned out the dizzy cap but there wasnt any moisture in there either, still no avail.

Really starting to bug me now, cant find the problem :D

Any help is really appreciated.

Tom

On a side note my passenger side window is also stuck halfway down, (damned electrics) and we have a storm here in Southampton at the moment.....lovely

Guest Doc1806

i found this posted in another thread about tempory issues when warm

Possibly dirty injectors?

When cold and miserable, the duty cycle of the injectors is increased and so will mask any poor injector spray patterns. When hot, and the duty cycle is less (ie less fuel for a given time), the engine might struggle to start initially.

That's an educated guess by the way, I have no proof :D

but my issue is constant, doesent fire at all

Guest Doc1806

i took it to a garage yesturday, they managed to fix the window, but are perplexed as to what the starting issue might be.

Anyone have any ideas?

pug_ham

TBH its got to be an electrical issue if its cranking over OK imo.

What colour plug is fitted to the temp sender? Should be a blue two pin one, if its black you have the one for the4 SAD fitted so swap them over & see if that helps.

Graham.

Guest Doc1806
TBH its got to be an electrical issue if its cranking over OK imo.

What colour plug is fitted to the temp sender? Should be a blue two pin one, if its black you have the one for the4 SAD fitted so swap them over & see if that helps.

Graham.

Thanks Graham, it was a blue one (well more a turquoise faded blue) previously, i replaced this with a new one (which is black) and the problem got neither worse nor better.

would you suggest putting the blue one back in?

Tom

pug_ham

The ecu temp sensor would originally have a blue plug, the black one is for the SAD but I take it you mean you swapped the blue plug for a new black one.

You haven't cross connected the SAD one with it accidentally since then have you?

Graham.

Guest Doc1806
The ecu temp sensor would originally have a blue plug, the black one is for the SAD but I take it you mean you swapped the blue plug for a new black one.

You haven't cross connected the SAD one with it accidentally since then have you?

Graham.

Yea i ordered a new plug from Motorworld, they got one for me, which was identical to the blue one i removed, but the new one had a black connector.

i put the black one in and reconnected it up as before, nothing else was disconnected so nothing has been cross connected.

its a shame, i have to sell it soon as im off to study abroad, but id rather it worked for the next owner.

Guest Doc1806

well, ive decided to list it on eBay, ive no longer the time to try and fix it before i go away.

hope it finds a good home. i would list it in the forsale section but ive not enough posts.

Sign in to follow this