• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt Holley

[trackday_prep] My 205 Gti6 Diary

Matt Holley

Before I go onto the latest engine I will give some background into my 205 :(

I bought this car in july 06 a week before rallyday at castle combe, it was a standard 1.9 with a magnex exhaust, it had a few faults but i worked on it every night for a week to get it ready for some track time at rally day, I didnt get much of a chance to test it out as it was very wet out :(

IMG_3071.jpg

I then fitted some gti6 front brakes and did a quick service ready for a track session at trax, this went o.k till I came to the cool down lap and noticed the oil temp was off the scale and then the bottom end stated knocking :(

Not to be put off I went in to the demon tweeks stand and got a very good deal on some sparco pro2000 seats and harnesses :D

In november I bought an mi16 engine from anthony and fitted thet in december along with bbm group n engine mounts it all went well and after a few weeks it was back on the road :D

205mi16engine025.jpg

Over the christmas holidays I thought it was about time I fitted my seats

205mi16engine017.jpg

I then got a leak from the sunroof which flooded the passenger carpet so instead of drying it out I took it all out :D

205mi16engine035.jpg

I did a BAT day at castle combe but before that I fitted some spax shocks and spings, the car went really well and I had a great day :D

IMG_1424Medium-vi.jpg

I still missed the torque of my old gti6 205 so when an engine came up for sale not to far from me I had to buy it, I also had a set of twin 45 dellortos to go on :D

So in the middle of march the mi16 was removed engine bay was cleaned up and while the engine was out I fitted a 406 master cylinder along with new brake lines, I also ran the rear lines through the car with a bias valve

Then it was time to fit the new engine before I did I replaced the timing belt, tensoiners and water pump and an mi16 clutch

PICT0726.jpg

Good clearence on the master cylinder

PICT0727.jpg

Now I always knew how I was going to fuel the engine but wasnt sure on the spark side, I eventually went with a kms ignition only ecu and a ford coil pack and leads, after a few problems with the kms mostly the fact it came with the wrong wiring diagrams and software I sent the car off to sandy and we dcided to go for a dta ignition only ecu instead and he also set the carbs up.

I also moved the battery to behind the passenger seat to get rid of a bit of weight from the front

091.jpg

So this is what the engine bay looks like today I am very pleased with it now I drove it back from cornwall yesterday 160 miles and I did another 50 today I just cant get enough of it :D

093.jpg

Current spec

ENGINE

Xsara vts (gti6) engine

New timing belt tensioners and water pump

Twin dellorto carbs and longman inlet manifold

ITG sausage air filter

Maniflow exhaust manifold into a magnex center and rear box

DTA ignition managment with a ford coil pack and leads

BBM group n engine mounts

1.9 be3 gearbox

Rally designs quick shift

BRAKES

283mm Gti6 front brakes with mintex 1144 pads

406 master cylinder

New copper lines run through the car with a tilton bias valve

BF goodridge hoses

Standard rear brakes

SUSPENSION

Spax adjustable front shocks with spax springs

E Tech strut brace

309 front arms and driveshafts (to be fitted)

309 rear beam (to be fitted)

Koni adjustable rear shocks (to be fitted)

WHEELS

1.9 wheels with goodyear eagle f1 tyres

EXTERIOR

Auto bonnet ( needs painting)

Roof plate still to be fitted

INTERIOR

Sparco pro 2000 seats

Sparco 4 point harness's

Momo steering wheel and boss

Battery relocated to behind the passenger seat

Edited by matt holley

t16ryan

Very nice :(:(:D:D

Matt Holley

Thanks I forgot to add I have also got working oil pressure gauge and light and water temp the only gauge I dont have working is the rev counter but I have a shift light for that :(

boldy205

nice one!! how have you mounted those bucket seats? are they on Sparco runners? and do they still tilt forward?

Thanks

Matt.

Matt Holley

They are mounted on standard runners with the tilting bit removed

205mi16engine032.jpg

205mi16engine031.jpg

Baz

Very nice Matt! :(

Did you have to modify the sparco mounts to get them to bolt to the runners giving the right width? I see you have one turned round.

Matt Holley
Very nice Matt! :(

Did you have to modify the sparco mounts to get them to bolt to the runners giving the right width? I see you have one turned round.

Yes I turned one round but other than that they lined up,that also gave it more room between the seats when I put them in the car :(

funkymofo

very nice indeed!

Glad there's a few threads kicking about like this, makes me motivated to get to work on mine!

What box are you using?

Matt Holley
very nice indeed!

Glad there's a few threads kicking about like this, makes me motivated to get to work on mine!

What box are you using?

1.9 box at the moment but I might change to an mi box if I can get one ;)

Guest Kernows16

Nice car, bet it sounds lush on the carbs :D

James_R

Looks nice any pics of the exhasut mani?

Bonzai

Did you do anything to fix the leak? Mine has got something similar although doesnt sound as bad,

Matt Holley
Looks nice any pics of the exhasut mani?

I have got some on my phone I will see if I can upload them, It looks like the one they do for the mi16 thought :D

Matt Holley
Did you do anything to fix the leak? Mine has got something similar although doesnt sound as bad,

Do you mean from the exhaust? how did you know it was leaking :D

I did put it on the ramp yesterday and re seal it all :(

edthedrummer
Yes I turned one round but other than that they lined up,that also gave it more room between the seats when I put them in the car :D

so are you still able to use the tilting part of the original mount with them? I'm a bit of a newbie so any info on how or what you used would be appreciated.

Other than that, i really like the look of your car. Does relocating the battery make much difference?

Matt Holley
so are you still able to use the tilting part of the original mount with them? I'm a bit of a newbie so any info on how or what you used would be appreciated.

Other than that, i really like the look of your car. Does relocating the battery make much difference?

You probably could use the tilting bit but I just removed it, the seat would be higher up and I can only just get in with a helmet on as it is and I am 6ft.

I have not had much of a chance to test out the handling yet with the battery behind the seat but it has to be better to get a bit of weight off the front wheels :D

Thanks

edthedrummer
You probably could use the tilting bit but I just removed it, the seat would be higher up and I can only just get in with a helmet on as it is and I am 6ft.

I have not had much of a chance to test out the handling yet with the battery behind the seat but it has to be better to get a bit of weight off the front wheels :D

Thanks

Cheers.

I take it you just moved the battery there and used longer electrical cable to get to it?

Baz
Do you mean from the exhaust? how did you know it was leaking :)

I did put it on the ramp yesterday and re seal it all :)

I think Ben meant the water leak from the sunroof! :)

Matt Holley
I think Ben meant the water leak from the sunroof! :)

O right :)

I removed the plastic trim from round the front of the sunroof and smeared some sealer round, it still leakes a bit but seems to have moved to the drivers side now :) I am fitting a plate to replace the sunroof soon so hopefully that will fix it :)

Matt Holley

Pics of the exhaust :)

phonepics007.jpg

phonepics022.jpg

tidypug

Very nice mate :).

Can you use the original exhaust manifold or do you need an aftermarket one like yours?

Matt Holley
Very nice mate :).

Can you use the original exhaust manifold or do you need an aftermarket one like yours?

You can use the original gti6 exhaust manifold and it is very good but this came up for sale as a complete exhaust so I bought it as it was easier for me as I didnt have to mess around making a down pipe to fit the manifold etc.

Matt Holley

Next update

I fitted the 309 rear beam and koni rear shocks yesterday and I am really please with the result, it has made such a big improvement to the handling, it has to be my 2nd best mod so far ;):)

Pics for you :D

rearbeam006.jpg

rearbeam2004.jpg

rearbeam2005.jpg

sonofsam

Really nice Matt ;)

Koni's and 309 beam is good isnt it :)

Matt Holley

Time for an update on the 205.

Much has been done since I last posted, I have fitted an omp 10 point cage and I aslo got hold of an mi16 gearbox with a quaife diff.

I also got round to getting the roof plate fitted and painted along with the bonnet :)

After a few track days the 1144 pads were cracking up and coming away from the backing and the discs didnt look to good either so I got some ds2500 pads and black diamond discs, they feel much better now :lol:

I am in the middle of fitting a new nissens rad and changing a few hoses ready for a track day at combe in december and I have some 309 bones and shafts to fit too :lol:

rollcagefitting002.jpg

IMG_6274resized-vi.jpg

Here is the current spec

ENGINE AND GEARBOX

Xsara vts (gti6) engine

New timing belt tensioners and water pump

Twin dellorto carbs and longman inlet manifold

ITG sausage air filter

Maniflow exhaust manifold into a magnex center and rear box

DTA ignition managment with a ford coil pack and leads

BBM group n engine mounts

Facet red top fuel pump

Mi16 be3 gearbox with quaife atb diff

Group n gear rods

Rally designs quick shift

BRAKES

283mm Gti6 front brakes calipers

Black diamond 283mm drilled and grooved discs

Ferodo ds2500 pads

406 master cylinder

New copper lines run through the car with a tilton bias valve

BF goodridge hoses

Standard rear brakes

SUSPENSION

Spax adjustable front shocks with spax springs

E Tech strut brace

309 front arms and driveshafts (to be fitted)

309 rear beam

Koni adjustable rear shocks

WHEELS

1.9 wheels with goodyear eagle f1 tyres

EXTERIOR

Auto bonnet )

Alloy roof plate

INTERIOR

Sparco pro 2000 seats

Sparco 4 point harness's

Momo steering wheel and boss

Battery relocated to behind the passenger seat