• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DaveK

Sand Blasting Equipment

DaveK

Im after some sandblasting equipment to remove rust from the engine bay and other areas.

What equipment do i need and what do you guys recommend? I have an air compressor already.

Cheers, Dave

B1ack_Mi16
Im after some sandblasting equipment to remove rust from the engine bay and other areas.

What equipment do i need and what do you guys recommend? I have an air compressor already.

Cheers, Dave

Just get one with external pickup, meaning it's got a hose that you can put in a bag of sand, instead of the ones with internal sand-containers that'll use all the sand in no time.

Normal sand like I used is apparently not good for your health, so at least you should wear a mask with filters if you can't get another type of cheap blastingmedia. The aluminium silicate seem to be pretty expensive over here at least.

DaveK

will sandblasting remove underseal? or am i gonna have to grin and bear it and be under the car scraping till next christmas

B1ack_Mi16
will sandblasting remove underseal? or am i gonna have to grin and bear it and be under the car scraping till next christmas

Heavy equipment will, but if you're gonna get rid of underseal with hobbuy equipment just use a heatgun and scrape it off.

Also heavy blasting equipment might deform the plates so it's not that good idea to use blasting to get rid of the underseal.

DaveK

cool cheers! btw you always respond quick, the wife got a ban on working on the car? :D

16v205

Just a quick hijack but how quick do you find the sand blaster removes old paint/rust to get to bare metal?

Ive got a Sealey gun thingy with the smaller nozzle for little compressors. It draws the media from a 25kg bag but even though a bit of sand comes out it doesnt do anything when it comes in contact with the metal? Tell a lie it removes the flaking paint after about 2 minutes but id have to wait all day before it can clean a patch of metal the size of a small coin, and id run out of sand :D

This is the gun Clicky

I know the compressor is just a cheapy 2hp with 50ltr reserve and im using the blaster at 6-8bar by letting the compressor recharge all the time but is this what you'd expect?

Cheers

Rich

DaveK

Ive got a cabinet sand blaster at work which is pretty much the same thing as an external pickup like yours. Originally it did bugger all, but upper the pressure alot and it works well. Different grades sand give better/worse blasting aswell

Maybe your compressor isnt strong enough though would have thought it would be reasonable. Try using a bigger grade sand?

B1ack_Mi16
Ive got a cabinet sand blaster at work which is pretty much the same thing as an external pickup like yours. Originally it did bugger all, but upper the pressure alot and it works well. Different grades sand give better/worse blasting aswell

Maybe your compressor isnt strong enough though would have thought it would be reasonable. Try using a bigger grade sand?

Mine are a bit different to that on the picture, but I think the nozzle size looks approx the same.

My compressor also is just 2hp and 50 litres, but as long as I keep the pressure above 5-6 bars it will blast away paint in no time, and also rust is just gone.

the sand I was using was very very fine, not sure if that might have anything to do with the efficiency, maybe it works better with the small nozzle.

Batfink

Hi im going to resurect an old thread as I am looking to buy sandblasting equipment

Rich I am looking at the same sandblaster hand tool as you and I noticed it says it runs at 14-18cfm to that would be why you are not shifting paint possibly. I do not know what size compressor you need for that sort of power as i'm struggling to understand how powerful you need your compressor as there seems no relationship between the stats of the tools and the stats of the compressors

Edited by Batfink

Nathan

Make sure you have some sort of water trap in the line from your compressor, notthing buggers up blasting quicker than having damp sand.

Sign in to follow this