• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
westy

Where To Mount An Amp?

westy

Morning all,

I'm getting my hands on an amp & sub soon, and I've been starting to think about where to install the amp.

I was thinking about underneath the passenger seat, in the rear passenger footwell, but tucked under the seat.

Where has everyone else put their amps?

Thanks ;)

matty_gti
Morning all,

I'm getting my hands on an amp & sub soon, and I've been starting to think about where to install the amp.

I was thinking about underneath the passenger seat, in the rear passenger footwell, but tucked under the seat.

Where has everyone else put their amps?

Thanks ;)

Bit of a tight one under the passenger seat id of thought. My amp in my other 205 is screwed to the back of the rear seats in the boot, that way my wires just ran outa the amp to under the seat. looks good to me.

westy

I thought of that too, but I'm going to be amping the front speakers too, so I'm not keen on running masses of wiring through the car ;)

Garry

I would put it in the boot too, either on the back of the seat or onto the boot floor, easier to fiddle with then. Also any passengers you have won't wipe their feet on it!

johnnyboy666

mines screwed into the bottom of my mdf parcel shelf, but if you want to amp the front speakers aswell, why not put it in the little compartment to the right just below the steering wheel?

DrSarty

Westy you big jessy! :P

It's my sub and box you're fitting and I've offered free advice at the south meet on the 3rd June. Obviously you're planning ahead which is a good thing, but I can assure you that running in the wires to power the amp, switch it on from the head unit, feed it signal from same and also run speaker wires to the front is a doddle.

I'll help you at the meet but I agree with most of the replies here; put the amp either on the back of the rear seats or screw it to the sub box. The other alternative is a false (perhaps covered) MDF floor in the boot to mount it and the sub box to.

All you do is lift one seat out and remove the kick trim over the carpet on the sill, then just slide the wires under the carpet. You should also try to keep power and signal cables seperate, but that's not difficult when the access is this good even if you only use one side for the cabling.

See you at the meet, and plan to install in the rear my friend.

Rich :blink:

Nathan

I've got my amp for the front speakers in the glovebox, proper stealth!

DrSarty
I've got my amp for the front speakers in the glovebox, proper stealth!

Little amp then?

Nathan
Little amp then?

Slightly bigger than the glovebox, fitted a treat with the end caps removed though.

Simes

Both of mine are on the back of one of the rear seats with a small sub box in front hiding them. Still can get a 26" MTB wheel on the other side.

westy
Westy you big jessy! :P

It's my sub and box you're fitting and I've offered free advice at the south meet on the 3rd June. Obviously you're planning ahead which is a good thing, but I can assure you that running in the wires to power the amp, switch it on from the head unit, feed it signal from same and also run speaker wires to the front is a doddle.

I'll help you at the meet but I agree with most of the replies here; put the amp either on the back of the rear seats or screw it to the sub box. The other alternative is a false (perhaps covered) MDF floor in the boot to mount it and the sub box to.

All you do is lift one seat out and remove the kick trim over the carpet on the sill, then just slide the wires under the carpet. You should also try to keep power and signal cables seperate, but that's not difficult when the access is this good even if you only use one side for the cabling.

See you at the meet, and plan to install in the rear my friend.

Rich :)

Yep, planning ahead me :D

After reading this thread I was going to install it in the boot anyway, probably attach it to the sub box too, as I don't want to be drilling holes in my seats :)

Hopefully all the wiring should be laid by then, should only take a couple of hours to sort it out, just need some cables :P

Ahl

Is there any reason why you couldn't mount an amp behind the rear side panels? (on a 3 door)

DrSarty
Is there any reason why you couldn't mount an amp behind the rear side panels? (on a 3 door)

A nice idea, and nothing stopping you really AHL. But you're making work for yourself IMO.

The rear trims are easy to remove as you no doubt know, but you're gonna have to make a shaped mounting board to fit the amp and really, to be safe, to secure the cables to; otherwise only the terminal screws on the amp will be holding the wires in. A few bumps, jolts and time and the power cable could pop off and short :P . Good place to mount stealth-wise, but a fair bit of work would be involved.

Personally I think the rear seat backs are the most secure location, particularly if your amp has its terminals at one end meaning this end faces down and only a short length of wires needs to protrude from underneath the bench seat.

I have 2 amps screwed to the rear seats and my dedicated sub amp is fixed onto the rapidly removable sub box (which contains 2 x 15 Earthquake subs :) ... :) ). This way for rallies (and speed seshes) I undo one speed plug and an RCA cable to lift out the box, which itself is secured to the underside of an MDF stealth shelf.

Edited by DrSarty

Paintguy

Apart from a possible lack of ventilation, no :D

Westy:

I didn't take many pictures of my wiring, but there's the odd one here that might help. Also check out Chris's guide to cable routing in the Tech articles.

As for amp mounting - false floor every time!

westy

Ooo, excellent, cheers :unsure:

Where did you get your battery terminal blocks from out of interest?

Paintguy

I'm sorry, but I can't remember, as I've had them for years :)

There's a good selection here though :D

westy

Right, cables are IN!

westy

Right, cables are IN!

Only took me a short while, the biggest hassle was taking the seat out!

1x Power cable from the battery, 1x switch cable from the HU (cheers for your phone help on this Rich) and a pair of RCA cables going back too.

I'm leaving the front speakers un-amped at the moment, as I haven't got enough speaker cable to do it!

If they need amping in the future I've got a small Sony amp that can sit in the glovebox and do the job perfectly :D

I love cars that are made of lego, so easy to take apart..

cybernck

i'd say the best location for an amp is where you're sure the water won't leak in.

so that rules out under the seats, behind the rear side panels and on the boot floor in my case :D:).

Paintguy

^^ Nowhere inside a 205 then really! :D

Sign in to follow this