• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stu@

Pointing Afm Downwards

Guest Stu@

;) Ive nearly finished my Mi16 conversion (at last!!) and to save having to relocate the washer bottle I was planning on using a 90 degree bend in between the afm and the inlet pipe so that the air filter is pointing straight at the floor.

Will this be OK or am I going to get problems?

Thanks

pacey205

Im not sure if it will give you any problems but personally Id rather have it running flat. It will fit even with the washer bottle in.

I ordered a filter from Demon Thieves as it was cheaper to get a custom sized one rather than order a specific one for the 205 :S. Of course its the same size but if I pay less Im happy. I also made up a couple of brackets that bolt to the side of the AFM off the battery tray to help hold it off the slam panel as well. Oh and I also elongated the slot in the washer bottle where it attaches to the suspension turret to allow it to move further back.

I havent got a pic on this PC but I will stick one up when I get home. This is how it was before I sorted the bracket out, held in place with a zip tie. As you can see its not 100% flat but close.

p4150128mx0.th.jpg

HTH

Michael

Edited by pacey205

jackherer

I'd keep the air filter as high as possible to avoid any chance of inducting water.

Scottieb

I wouldn't. if you mount it pionting down you will need more air to flow to open the flap if than if it was horrizontal, as gravity will be acting on keeping the flap shut now too. Keep it flat if you can.

GLPoomobile

I pondered doing this on my 8V but when you actually mock it up you'll find that the filter ends up right down near the bottom of the valance. So you need some way of supporting the AFM ,then you have the problems with the flap that the AFM Police will hang you for, and you have the risk of sucking in water, so it's just not worth it.

Plenty of people have fitted the filter OK with the washer in place. Or you can relocate the washer bottle, which is reasonably simple.

James_m

If you have a non sunroof car, move the washer jet bottle to the scuttle panel. Best mod ever!

huzzer

I have done the same thing as James_m to free up space and improve air flow around the filter. It does mean cutting the scuttle panel around the filler cap but you cant see it when the bonnet is shut.

Rob_the_Sparky
I wouldn't. if you mount it pionting down you will need more air to flow to open the flap if than if it was horrizontal, as gravity will be acting on keeping the flap shut now too. Keep it flat if you can.

True but it is unknown whether this is actually significant. From what I've seen so far it doesn't seem to be

pugpete1108

i pointed mine down towards the wheel arch area and had no probs at all , no sucking up water etc.

saved a fair bit of space too

pacey205

Right took a few pics of how mine is now.

Overall view

p5230141wk2.th.jpg

p5230145ra5.th.jpg

Home made brackets to hold AFM in place (and the junction box as well)

p5230142qw4.th.jpg

Extended slot in washer bottle

p5230144gs6.th.jpg

HTH

Michael

Edd-XS

My set-up ;)

Photo-0024Jwtg.jpg

Photo-00531.jpg

Works a treat!

Edd

Sign in to follow this