• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
philfingers

1900 Gti Sump Gasket

philfingers

is there a sump gasket fitted to the 1900s? Is there 1, 2 or none? I've an oil leak from the sump to block join so need to remove it but better get the gasket first if it needs one. Wasn't sure if it was maybe just a instant gasket seal instead. Where the best place to get a gasket from?

Ta,

Phil

Banjo

Its silicon from the factory :lol:

edthedrummer

i'm sure if you look on gsf or euro car parts, they sell sump gaskets for 1.9's.

If not try pugspares.co.uk.

i need to replace mine and by looking at it, there does appear to be a gasket. Although i am sure they are using a instant gasket type bond as well, because haynes manual states that you have to cut off the sump with a knife around the seal.

Banjo

There is a gasket available for it but was not one there from the factory just sealant, its not hard to put a bead of silicon round it.. Also take the sump spacer off and seal that too as they often leak.

edthedrummer

sump spacer? never heard of this before? Could it be what i was reffering to as a gasket?

philfingers

thanks guys. Ed the sump spacer is around 10mm thick, it's used on the 1900s to allow for the additional stroke of the 1900 crank, 1600 and 1900 use the same bore but the 1900 has a longer throw crank. sump spacer is aluminium I believe, although I've never had one off (yet!)

edthedrummer

oh phew thanks, I have a 1.8 d turbo, so i dont have one. Learn something new every day.

Mikey G

I think the gasket depends if you have a pressed steel sump or an alloy sump. Steel one needs a gasket due to the bit of flex in the thin steel but the alloy is solid and can be sealed with a fine silicone or other metal to metal sealant.

edthedrummer

I'll go stick a magnet to it next time i'm down there. I am right in thinking that a magnet won't stick to aluminium but it will to steel?

Mikey G

Alloy sumps only tend to be fitted to cars with aircon and have the lugs on the front near the bottom below the alternator that the aircon pump fixes too.

And yes a magnet wont stick to alloy unless there is steel the otherside close by :D

edthedrummer

mine hasn't got aircon. stell pump it is by the sounds of it.

philfingers

mines steel too, so did the 1900s with a steel sump have a gasket from the factory?

Anthony

RTV is your friend for jobs like this.

I've never had any luck with the sump gaskets on either tin or alloy sumps, but so long as you prep and degrease the surfaces properly and let it dry before filling it with oil again, RTV seems to seal the sumps pretty well.

Used bathroom silicon sealant from B&Q before now as well with success.

edthedrummer
RTV is your friend for jobs like this.

I've never had any luck with the sump gaskets on either tin or alloy sumps, but so long as you prep and degrease the surfaces properly and let it dry before filling it with oil again, RTV seems to seal the sumps pretty well.

Used bathroom silicon sealant from B&Q before now as well with success.

I was under the impression that some silicon bathroom sealants can be attacked by the oil, depends on which one i guess, just a warning.

Grim.Badger
mines steel too, so did the 1900s with a steel sump have a gasket from the factory?

Yes they did.

Sealant between the spacer and the block, a gasket between the spacer and sump. I haven't had a problem with getting a seal with a gasket; I've even had it all apart and put it back together and the gasket still seals (Peugeot OE item).

Sign in to follow this