• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johny105_y2k

A Really Dumb Question That I Feel Bad About For Asking

johny105_y2k

ok as i said above i feel really dumb for asking this, but its something i've never had to do and have seen it once when i was a lad.

i have a donor car which i've just pinched the fuel pump off and can see atleast 3/4 of a tank of fuel and i want it without damaging the tank.

i know its best to use clear pipe so you dont drink the stuff and then you keep it lower than the tank ( i think) after the point of no return.

ithink anyway.

any tips or tricks advice,

cheers johny

(feeling dead dumb right now)

lagonda

Yes, that's basically it. Ideally you need to make sure the pipe is at the lowest point of the tank, to save you repeating the job. Clear tube is best , as you say, you will see where the fuel is in the pipe. You won't die if you get petrol in your mouth, but try not to swallow if you do! It tastes unpleasant & the taste lingers. Be ready with plenty of water to rinse with if necessary, but brushing your teeth is the quickest way of overcoming the flavour.

The higher you have the tank & the lower the pipe exit, the quicker you'll empty the tank, so consider jacking the car up, that'll also help you positioning the lowest point in the tank. Just suck on the pipe, once you see the petrol is lower than the bottom of the tank, it will syphon from there. One trick is to suck on the pipe & quickly put a finger over the end, then point it in your container. If you've got the heights right, it should syphon automatically from there.

inferno

ok what car we talking about? i normally put some wires on it direct to a battery, switching the battery end , and putting a pipe on the fuel supply line to the container... drains the tank in no time!

on a 205 you can take the fuel feed from the rail and switch the ignition on n off... :(

Baz
ok what car we talking about? i normally put some wires on it direct to a battery, switching the battery end , and putting a pipe on the fuel supply line to the container... drains the tank in no time!

on a 205 you can take the fuel feed from the rail and switch the ignition on n off... :D

That's the easy way, but it doesn't work without a fuel pump!! :(

johny105_y2k

2051.6gti its an 89

is their not a bung in tank?

i really dont want to damage the tank.

i was considering doing the latter with some pipe on the out feed of the pump but its in the garage and in a really confined space i was floating around just taking the pump out so i dont think a battery and 2 wires and possible arcing would be a good idea not for me anyway

steve@cornwall
. You won't die if you get petrol in your mouth,

But if it "goes down the wrong way" like choking on a glass of water and one drop hits your lung- you most probably will :( and you wouldn't be the first- is it really worth it? As it's from a donor, either remove the tank and tip it out or make a hole in the bottom of the tank and drain it.

johnnyboy666

easy way- get under the car, cut the fuel lines and be ready with a bloody big bowl/jug/something and watch it all piss out :(

16v205

Or get something like this from a local motor factors,

Clicky

Rich

Sign in to follow this