• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

I Think My Clutch Has Gone Why Now......

Atari Boy

Could I have you thoughts please?

I have just had my 1.6 GTi sorted, or so I thought as I am meant to be taking it to the ring next weekend. The 89 car has done 153k miles so since I bought it I have the head rebuilt, and a major service including cam belt done. It has just passed its Mot after a few minor tweaks with the emissions and a new CV boot fitted.

The car was perfect and all ready for our adventure.....

So I take my pride and joy for a little run earlier today. By the end of the 20 mile journey which is mainly on duel carriageway I started to really struggle to get it in either, first, second or reverse. By the end of the run, all the gears were out of bounds.

I have been told my clutch is gone and a new one is circa £80 plus labour and sundries which adds up to £250 in total. :wacko:

Are my assumptions right and why does it have to happen now; life at times is not fair!

When I bought this car six months ago I thought it would be a good, fun cheap weekend toy. It is a good, fun weekend toy just not cheap. :)

gti-si

find a clutch on here, or buy a new one yourself then use the fitting guide on the main site? Doesn't look too much hard work, and with a little effort im sure its worth saving circa £180. Rope in a forum member to give you a hand or something, just offer up a crate :)

t16ryan

If ya need a hand doing it mate i aint far from ya and have all the tools and it aint a big job :)

chris1986

it is quite easy to do. at least it didn't go on you at the ring

Atari Boy

There could be light at the end of tunnel but getting one quickly will be tricky wont it and how long would it take to fit?

I am leaving for Dover at 6 am next Saturday but will gladly supply a crate or two for some help. I could do without a £250 bill just before my trip.

t16ryan

can get one same day from eurocar parts, usually takes around 2-3 hours to do, i am free wednesday and thursday in the day if thats any help ?

jonnie205

make sure its gone before you take it out. Where does the clutch pedal sit? you may want to get someody to check its actually the clutch thats gone, it could be the cable etc. Clutches dont usually give the syptoms you descirbe when they are shot

Atari Boy

I will check the cable tommorow but the cable is only a week old. :huh:

T16ryan is going to save the day for me on Wednesday.

Thanks Ryan I owe you one. :)

I shall go to the ball - well the'ring anyway...

t16ryan

have you checked your gearbox oil ? we will get it sorted wednesday either way :huh:

205johnnyxsi

you can pick clutch up off ebay fairly, cheap and there not that hard to fit, you made sure full off oil, have a look in the old haines manual help you out may be

steve@cornwall

Is it be1 or be3? (89 is changeover?) If it's BE1, check that the operating arm on the 'box isn't bending under pressure- not unusual

gti-si

Once you've checked the cable, 'box oil and like steve says, the operating arm and your sure its the clutch, get one from eurocars. I'd avoid buying one off eBay because you can never guarentee you'll get it in time. You don't half get some a*seholes on ebay

28CRAIG

I done one today £72 for a valeo clutch from euro.

silent_running
Is it be1 or be3? (89 is changeover?) If it's BE1, check that the operating arm on the 'box isn't bending under pressure- not unusual

What, so the box could be running dry (ish)? How can you tell which box it is? Are the clutches pre and post 89 the same or different? And what grade of gearbox oil do we need?

matty_gti
What, so the box could be running dry (ish)? How can you tell which box it is? Are the clutches pre and post 89 the same or different? And what grade of gearbox oil do we need?

Hi, basically if you have a 'lift up reverse' you have a BE1 box, if you have you reverse opposite fith (below fith) then you have a BE3.

As far as clutches go they are the same its just the release bearing thats different.

Regards to Gear Box oil nearlly everyone goes for 'Total bv 75w80'.....or any good 75w80.

Thanks.

Edited by matty_gti

Alastairh

Don't spend a penny until tomorrow morning and see what its like then.

As soon as you said after a 20 minute drive (so when its warm) alarm bells of crap gear box oil got me thinking :huh:

Do you trust the place that told you it had gone?

Richie-Van-GTi

Im with the oil or cable people, a bad clutch would slip, a badly adjusted one or incorrect oil would cause issues getting into gear. Try getting into gear this morning, if it still wont go try adjusting the cable up a bit and see what happens then. Not unusual for a new cable to be fine for a week then need adjusting as it beds in from use.

Atari Boy

UPDATE

I have just tried to use the car and I can get it in both first and reverse fine...

Does this mean the clutch is okay and the gearbox oil is the problem.

I haven't taken it for a proper run, just up and down my drive.

Lats night I could not engage either.

Alastairh

Yeah id go shop and buy some oil and see from there <_<

johny105_y2k

if the cable is only a week old

that rings alarm bells.

who fitted it?

Sign in to follow this