• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dani959

Cambelt Covers - Are They Really Needed?

dani959

Hi, I'm about to assemble my new timing belt kit and I realized the cambelt covers are not in the best condition... There are some rubbing marks from the belt in one and from the crankshaft pulley on another.

Are they actually nedded for protection or doe anyone use a car without them (for the road).

Thanks,

Daniel

205johnnyxsi

my mate does`nt have one on his and his has been fine, so should`nt see a problem there, but thats from my expirance so not sure.

pug_ham

Yes they are needed for protection, even in road use a stone can get flicked up by a tyre & if it finds its way into the cambelt area will make a real mess of things if it gets caught in the belt.

Graham.

boombang

I've had an aux belt snap, which then was sucked into the cambelt and destroyed an engine.

As Graham says, even a tiny stone can cause the belt to skip on the pulley then you're talking rebuild time.

jonnie205

It depends, some people have had bad luck but all the rally cars i build down have them, to be honest they are just hassle. It can be hard to identlfy problems quickly when they are on and also things can get trapped behind the cover and then dont easily come out. On the road i rekon you will be fine.

Mikey G

Fit them, ive seen the consequences...

it only takes 1 stone or (loose bolt :ph34r: ) to destroy 1 engine, its not worth the risk.

dani959

Thanks a lot guys, I better fit them, then. Any suggestions where to find the bottom one behind the pulley (it's the one in really bad state...)?

pugrallye

peugeot or citroen still sell brand new covers, i have seen the mess even a small amount of plastic makes of cambelt, so would quite honestly sue anyone who advised me to run a road car without them!

Edited by pugrallye

rallyman

Make sure you keep the bolts or get some new one's, they are and M7 thread! :rolleyes: I tapped some of mine out to 8mm (proper size) :P But the top 2 which are nuts, are M6. I think the 2 bottom ones could be tapped out but you will need to shorten the lenght.

johny105_y2k

when i did mine the wear you talk about was present .

i just used washers as spacers when i put the new plastics on and i checked around a month later and it was fine

no rubbing what so ever.

just normal flat washers

Edited by johny105_y2k

Sign in to follow this