• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Locking Wheel Nuts Again!

johnnyboy666

right sorry to bring up this subject again but my locking whell nut is REALLY not coming off, basically i had some new tyres fitted a while ago and the bloke did the nuts up with an airgun thing, the things are so ridiculously tight that it snapped all the pins off the key. its and old set so i cant find a replacement key and have so far had no luck in removing them

i have tried the following

1.smacking a smaller socket over the end - doesnt grip enough and twists off

2. driving a small way with just the one bolt in to free it up- no luck there

3. tw@ing it with a sledge hammer with various bits of tube on it to try and distort it - still nothing

4. drilling it out- its clearly made of the same stuff as wolverines claws out of x men :ph34r:

5. taken it to several garages to use 'locking wheel nut removers' of varying types - no luck

6. it is currently at the garage where they have been trying for about 4 hours to weld bolts on, bars on anything to get a grip on it and it still just brakes the weld off

i'm assuming that the plum at the tyre place has cross threaded it as i cant think of any other way it could be so tight

my only other option is cutting the wheel off and i really REALLY dont want to do that so please please please can somebody help!!!

p.s its only the one nut thats left on the front drivers side

t16ryan

i have some good snapon locking wheel nut removers and they have worked on every one i have tried it on, its a lef thand thread and frips into it the more pressure you put on it, if you want them i can send them out to ya as long as i get them back ?

johnnyboy666

that would be an absolute life saver!! i really would appreciate it

chris1986

air chisel mate. hasn't failed onced and i have done more than enough. never damaged a wheel either

inferno

i like the air chisel idea! i also have snap on extractor tools, and again have never failed to remove a locking wheel bolt. unfortunatly id loose too much money if i went 4 days without them!

im pretty sure if u had time you could remove the hub assembly and cut the hub rather than the wheel though, although if its only a standard alloy youll find a replacement cheeper than a hub n bearing.

johnnyboy666

it is a standard 1.9 alloy but if i got a new one i'd have to get it painted (as mine are white) and have the tyre swapped over, on top of the cost of the new wheel i'd just really rather not unless i really have to

djinuk

i would go back to the tyre place and go give them a bollocking for using a air ratchet on locking wheel nuts as you are not meant to, if you have some form of a recipt that would be even better

johnnyboy666

yes i intend to be taking the invoice, from the garage my car is currently at, to the tyre place, unfortunately i didnt get a receipt tho as i paid in cash and forgot to ask for one. i have already taken it there to see if they could get it off but they said they didnt have any tools to do it.

are thes any good? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

cos ive seen them sell for £100 and they say they can remove 95% of all wheel bolts so i thought they might be worth a try?

Jrod

If they are the original pin wheel bolts then harldy any kits can get them off.

The kit I use us actually for rounded nuts but you just hammer it onto the small round middle bit and it grips into that.

8706_1.JPG

If you search ebay for bolt remover you can find them. Not cheap though.

johnnyboy666

ive already tried those type they cant get enough grip on the centre bit and i cant find any that will fit round the outer bit and still fit in the hole

Jrod

Did you try a smaller size and REALLY hammer it on?

I can't see how these can not get it off.

They even got off a gearbox bolt when the allen key rounded it off!

johnnyboy666

the bolt has clearly been done up far to tight (with an air gun thing) and must be crossthreaded cos it is completely stuck

Jrod

Cutting time. :)

johnnyboy666

well ive got it back from the garage and theyve had no luck getting it off so looks like i'll have to get meself a new wheel and lopp the old one off <_<

Toddy
well ive got it back from the garage and theyve had no luck getting it off so looks like i'll have to get meself a new wheel and lopp the old one off <_<

If you chamfer the edges of the bolt first then smack a hexagonal socket on preferably 1/2inch then use a crowbar over a breaker bar, if it doesnt loosen it, it will shear the bolt so you will get the wheel off.

johny105_y2k

can you not just jack the car up and get an open ended hacksaw in between the wheel and hub then cut . then you could heat it up and try some other ways?

then damage to the alloy is minimal.

sutol

I've heard that it is possible to remove the three bolts and then snap off the fourth using the wheel as a lever but I've never tried it. Might be worth a go before cutting. <_<

Phil H

I had this issue before and after tightening the three other bolts effing tight, get a sledge hammer and whack a socket over the raised bit in the middle and gently loosen with a breaker bar.

The only time this didn't work, I had to get a decent welder to remove it and it took him two hours and cost me £90, all for the sake of trying to keep some nice wheels and tyres.

johnnyboy666

well i tried the take the 3 other bolts out and pull like chuff but that didnt even budge it...but...... thank buggery i finally managed to get it off today, after doing another world tour of garages in the local area one of them manged to file the side of the lower bit of the bolt with an air file jobby then twatted a chuffing great socket on it and got the 200psi air gun on the bugger.... i could've had a wank when i saw it slowly coming off (but i decided against it) anyway this now means i can change the overdue brake pads and at last fit my new shocks and springs :unsure: yay and dont have to cross my fingers that i wont get a flat every tome i go out :D:);)

205turbo

last time we had this we knocked a old 1/2 " socket over the top and weled them on then used the snap on electric impact gun to remove them

Sign in to follow this