• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GTI_Lee

Hydraulic Handbrake - Strange.

GTI_Lee

hi.. well the car has been stood for ages..

i have just bought it serviced all brakes and fitted new pads on front also fitted a hydraulic handbrake aswell..

i have blead the system 2 times now and still im having no luck with the hydraulic handbrake. i am having to yank it as hard as i would normally have to with the standard handbrake.

any ideas whats could be happening? could it be because the discs have crapon them because it has been stood for some time?

thanks lee

fxi1900

For some reason 205's with discs on the rear have never had a very good "bar". However i did achive better results when i took it from a dual circuit to a single and braided the whole lot from handbrake back. Oh and make sure your calipers are working 100% because to put a finer word on it they are crap!

GTI_Lee

hmm right.well my lines come out the HH and then into a t-piece then direct to back lines with braided flexis.

whast caslipers should i use?

thanks lee

jonnie205

use the latest 206 gti or 306 gti ones you can find as they are likely to be in better condition

GTI_Lee

do they just bolt,straight on?

Richie-Van-GTi

yes 106, 205, 206, 306, 309 all use the same rear calipers. Not sure how you pipe in a hydraulic handbrake as its not something Ive tried before, but assuming you use standard calipers then as above, use the newest possible, preferab;ly with decent discs and pads that have been bed in.

TKH

How have you fitted your hand brake? What hand brake is it? How have you plum it in and so on. Tell us as much as you can about it and I may be able to help. What I can say is that the rear callipers have a very small capacity. A lot of the hand brake system available use a way to big master cylinder as standard. Also if you still have the cable hand brake fitted and legally you have to for a road car and if its operated at the same time as the hydraulic one it will actually have a very detrimental affect. If you do have it set like that loosen the cables as much as you can so they only really start to pull if the hydraulics fail.

Anton green

I have to pull my HHbrake harder than I would like to to get wheel lock and my system is 100% brand new all over. Unless the calipers are swapped for something else with a bigger piston maybe, I think I may have to live with it as that just seems to be how it is.

Maybe wait for some rally boys to turn up on this thread and see what they say about it?

Anton green

Mine did improve once the crap had vanished from the disc surface, but it is still not as perfect as I would like.

JamesLumley

205 rear h/d handbrakes are just crap!

I've used one for years in my rally car and it's never worked perfectly.

I've tried changing calipers, disks, pads but nothing makes much difference.

We currently run 306 calipers with a set of good quality std discs and pads which have proved the best combination.

I have an upright handbrake next to the gear lever which is angled towards me so i can pull it harder than if it was straight.

It will lock the rear wheels on dry hot tarmac when running cut slicks but you have to pull the lever so hard that it focusses your attention away from the actual corner as you're more concerned with getting the wheels to lock.

Perhaps a drum setup would be better?

James

TKH

A common trick for rallying is to use the Peugeot sport AP calipers. Then to get round the road legal cable bit you simply have a set of pads with eyelets welded to the top. Then use a normal bicycle cable to them on each side. It looks like you have cables and it does pull when you pull the handbrake. The only thing is it actually does nothing. It gets you past scrutineering and then you just stick a plain set of pads in. But then there is always the possibility of a fussy scrutineering arguing the point I guess. I would not recommend this for a road car though.

TKH

Thats on the 106 though. but guess it can be done to a 205?

Sign in to follow this