• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

Dampers

skinner2k3

Hi

I am looking for a set of front dampers to replace the ones I think I blew the seals on at Prescott!

I dont need springs as I have some -30mm (ish) Spax jobbies. Nor rear dampers.

There are so many brands I dont know which to go for! Which would people recommend?

Car will be used on the road but not daily and for track days/sessions etc.

Something around £250-£300 max.

Thanks

Ben

Batfink

How about some Bilstein Group N dampers :blush:

skinner2k3
How about some Bilstein Group N dampers :blush:

What would they cost me?

Nathan
What would they cost me?

Get a set of Bilstein sprintlines, slightly over your budget, but you will not be disappointed.

skinner2k3
Get a set of Bilstein sprintlines, slightly over your budget, but you will not be disappointed.

Full set or can the fronts be bought seperately?

Batfink
What would they cost me?

not sure - rrp is just over your budget though I have no idea what they are currently selling for on the market. I only have the trade price with me and thats rather good :blush::lol:

skinner2k3

Cheers Batfink!

Has anyone had any experience with Avo struts. Shenpar has suggested I go for them. They have adjustable rebound. Work out about £100 ea.

Cheers

Ben

pdd144c

Bilstein Group N dampers everytime for your price budget.

skinner2k3
Bilstein Group N dampers everytime for your price budget.

Are the Blistein Group N dampers OK for road use, only they are non-adjustable so I guess they are designed for smooth tarmac?

What's the part number of the Bilsteins? Shenpar didnt think they were still available!

Cheers

Ben

Guest Cally

Bilsteins, if you dont wanna pay that much try AVO. www.motorsportworld.co.uk are good for prices.

smighall

I've just put a full sprintline setup up for sale. Just need to wait for the topic to be approved.

skinner2k3

Going to commit and get some dampers on order tomorrow. Depending on price I may have a set of Bilsteins group N in budget. The other option is the Koni yellow adjustables.

Having never driven a car with either I dont know which to choose. Billies or Konis and £70ish in my pocket?

Koni's give me the option to soften them up for the road and then adjust to suit track days, but I get the impression the valving/design of the Billies makes them very capable in either situation.

Help! :blink:

Benito

Both Koni and Bilstein shocks are more than adequate for fast road use, I've run both and they're good, but I'd recommend getting some Eibach springs. Go with the Koni's if you want to be able to adjst the damping.

Jrod

And then you can adjust them from hard all the way to very hard. :blink:

chris1986

i got the bilsteins from miles. they are very good but if the roads are harsh round you. like they are here you might regret it. mine where the tarmac ones. i don't use mine much on the road but they're the best i've tried yet

oli-pug

i've just fitted koni sport on the front with eibach pro-kit springs and bbm top bushes.

i've matched them with some bilstein group n tarmacs on the rear.

yet to try them out as the car has no mot

skinner2k3

Well it looks like I may go with the Koni's as it seems I need to find £100 ish for some Eibachs. So the saving over the Billies will cover most of that!

oli-pug: exact same set up as you then (front at least), shame you've not had a chance to drive it yet I would have been interested to know how it handled.

Got my MOT last night, had to fit new wishbone bushes (pug ones) so with new dampers, springs and BBM GRN top mounts it should be pretty well sorted.

Batfink

i pm'ed you but will say it here too

The Eibach pro-kit is not designed for stiff dampers like the Bilstein Group N

They are for ether standard dampers or eibachs pro-kit dampers which are about 15% stiffer than an OEM damper.

skinner2k3

The Eibach pro-kit is not designed for stiff dampers like the Bilstein Group N

They are for ether standard dampers or eibachs pro-kit dampers which are about 15% stiffer than an OEM damper.

Just read PM, cheers.

I think with the state of the roads in Wilts I will be best off going with adj Konis and Pro kit springs.

What springs would be required for the Bilsteins GRNs?

Benito

Or Bilstein's 'B6 Sport' Dampers, these aren't as stiff as the Group N spec.

Jrod
Or Bilstein's 'B6 Sport' Dampers, these aren't as stiff as the Group N spec.

Friend has them on his Xs and they seem ok, he says they are a bit soft at the rear though?

Sign in to follow this