• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Veero

4-2-1 Manifold Fitting Query

Veero

Rigth I am getting my Mi16 back on the road after 6 months of it being SORNd. One of the problems I had with it was a blowing exhaust and leaking from the manifold - head join.

I was using a stanard Mi16 manifold on a QEP angling plate but no matter how I fitted it, it always blew. I bought a 4-2-1 Maniflow system and fitted that. only after actually spending 5 hours getting the damn thing in place and doing up the first row of bolts did I realise it fouled the bulkhead.

Maniflow were fairly rude down the phone and told me you can ONLY fit the Mi16 to a 205 if it's tilted... WTF ;) I argued for a bit and gave up... I wasn't prepared to bash the bulkhead in or tilt the engine. Anyway got a refund out of the seller on here because he had told me it would definately fit.

I have been offered another virtually brand new (I think never fitted) 4-2-1 system and would like to know whether it will definately fit my 205 without smashing the bulkhead in or tilting the engine. I don't want any oil pick up or clearance problems since I have customised everything to fit at the current angle.

The manifold was on eBay and listed as a Maniflow/Longman's so if it is a maniflow i am worried it again won't fit like the last one.

So any ideas if this one will fit? the Pugspares one says it will go in a 205 mi16 with clearing the bulkhead but doesn't mention tilting the engine or not.

Cheers for any help

Veero

Edited by Veero

jas-E

hey mate,

I have bought a used 4-2-1 manifold from pugspares from a member of the forum. I havent fitted it yet, but i know it came out of a mi16 converted 205 and that hadnt been tilted at all. Its designed for the conversion as far as i know.

jackherer

Which engine mounts were you using? Some aftermarket top engine mounts are a bit higher apparently.

Simes

Mine fits, not tilted...Group N mounts.

The middle silencer does hit the chassis in reverse.

jackherer

BTW I think I may have bought the mani you couldn't get to fit, who did you buy it from?

I haven't fitted it yet as the engine isn't ready for the car its going into, I'll let you know how it goes if it is the same one.

Veero

Im using a BBM group N mount kit.

jackherer, I bought the first 4-2-1 off easypug, he was decent about it all though and fully refunded me everything since he said it would fit. the car it came out of turned out to have had the bulkhead smashed in.

jas-E is that Kate's one you bought?

I am considering a re-angled standard 8-4-2 BX manifold which will be cheaper anyway but will bolt straight to a standard 205 downpipe and at least get me rolling for now.

Cheers

Veero

jackherer
jackherer, I bought the first 4-2-1 off easypug, he was decent about it all though and fully refunded me everything since he said it would fit. the car it came out of turned out to have had the bulkhead smashed in.

Yeah, thats the one then. He did tell me the situation when I got it but I figure I can make it fit, if I have to I'll cut it up and reangle it then weld it back up.

I am considering a re-angled standard 8-4-2 BX manifold which will be cheaper anyway but will bolt straight to a standard 205 downpipe and at least get me rolling for now.

That depends on the downpipe, I've always had to cut n shut them to get them to fit, except for the one I have fitted on my car now which is a stainless steel aftermarket d/p.

Veero

Yeah I had the feeling it might be cut and shut with a renagled manifold but I have been informed it will definately bolt straight onto a standard downpipe, which for now is a good option since I have a few other minor issues to sort.

I believe the Pugspares ones are meant to fit straight in with no tilt but could do with knowing. I might have to pass on this Maniflow/Longmans one ;)

Thanks

Veero

jas-E
jas-E is that Kate's one you bought?

Yes mate,

I bought Kate's manifold

pug309twin40s

Radster has a pugspares 4-2-1 manifold fitted on his mi16 205 and fits fine and manifold was fitted to my 309 mi16 with no problems.

Miles

Pugspares are a mix of Maniflow and the one's I supply (Abit allot less money), but it's a mix of some fit and some don't as it's a mix of the car's shell being different like the M/S clearance etc and the thickness/bending of the tubing. The one's I fit I normally press a flat into the top of the pipe slightly to miss the bulkhead with ease and the main thing with them is they are easy to fit compared to the std manifold.

GLPoomobile

When fitting these manifolds I presume they need to be lifted up and under the car rather than lowered from above. If this is the case, is it possible to do it with the car just on axle stands or do you need more ground clearance from a pair of ramps, or even having the car raised up on lift (i.e. fitted at a garage with a lift)

mikie

I had a pugspares one and it cleared everything with the engine in at the right angle.

pug309twin40s
When fitting these manifolds I presume they need to be lifted up and under the car rather than lowered from above. If this is the case, is it possible to do it with the car just on axle stands or do you need more ground clearance from a pair of ramps, or even having the car raised up on lift (i.e. fitted at a garage with a lift)

4-2-1 manifolds will only fit from above.

taking the top engine mount of and pulling the engine forward tiny bit helps to be able wiggle the manifold between the back of the engine and the bulkhead and down into place.

Veero
Pugspares are a mix of Maniflow and the one's I supply (Abit allot less money), but it's a mix of some fit and some don't as it's a mix of the car's shell being different like the M/S clearance etc and the thickness/bending of the tubing. The one's I fit I normally press a flat into the top of the pipe slightly to miss the bulkhead with ease and the main thing with them is they are easy to fit compared to the std manifold.

Ah right cheers Miles. I am getting one off a member on here and have no way to tell if it would fit or not until I try it. If it doesn't clear, how difficult would it be to bend the pipes a bit to clear the bulkhead or putting the flats in wiout causing any damage? I havent really got the means to do a good job of it, just a lump hammer lol.

This is the manifold in question.

Mi16421manifold.jpg

When I fitted the previous one I managed to get it in from above in 2 pieces without dismantling anything. However the engine is coming out for a camshaft seal change, clutch, cambelt and sump refitment in June so I will fit it then.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Veero

Edited by Veero

Dream Weaver
4-2-1 manifolds will only fit from above.

taking the top engine mount of and pulling the engine forward tiny bit helps to be able wiggle the manifold between the back of the engine and the bulkhead and down into place.

I did mine from below on axle stands, but mine is in 2 pieces so I had to dismantle it all, slide it in, then re-assemble everything - it was a ballache and I needed 3 or 4 hands really. :P

I'm sure there is a market for a full 205 Mi16 exhaust system from manifold to backbox.

Baz
I'm sure there is a market for a full 205 Mi16 exhaust system from manifold to backbox.

I'll second that! I need 2! :P

Miles, have some more made! :P:blink:

Veero
I'll second that! I need 2! :P

Miles, have some more made! :P:blink:

Ill need one form the manifold back, unless I coble a system together from what Ive got...

Yes get some more made :P

Miles

The system is available, Had one on my old car which James R now has, I'll get some prices for them next week

Sign in to follow this