• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jas-E

8v Timing Belt

jas-E

hey guys,

After reading a few posts on the forum and getting convinced its not that difficult, I finally decided to change my 1.9 8v timing belt myself today. Its sort of going according to plan but am having trouble removing the spring loaded tensioner.

I have taken out the 16mm bolt which holds the 'cam pulley' mechanism of the tensioner. According to the Haynes manual, this bolt needs to be slackened and the cam turned horizontally so that the tensioner can release the belt. Since i did not have a 6mm spanner i thought if i removed that bolt and the two 11mm bolts that hold the spring body on the tensioner, the whole tensioner should just pop out. However it doesnt seem to budge! I tried to push the tensioner away from the belt thinking it wud be easy as its under pressure from the spring, but it still wont move!

Do i just need to get slightly angry with it and force it out or do i follow the haynes manual and put the cam pulley back on with the 16mm bolt and turn it horizontally, remove the belt first then remove the tensioner?

Is there any easier way of doing this? I am off to buy a 6mm spanner tomorrow. Please any help on this would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Jas

Edited by jas-E

Mikey G

Never had a problem with these, as soon as you slacken the 2 bolts and the locking nut on the cam mechanism i simply use a small spanner or a square brake adjusting spanner.

Taking it out may be a problem if the spring is still under tension but should come out with a bit of pulling.

matty_gti

I use adjustable pliers to clamp the roller and the lip on the tensioner (the end where the 2 nuts are) together to release the belt and then withdraw the tensioner.

Edited by matty_gti

jas-E

Could have done that I guess but the lack of space there was soo frustrating and I did not want to make it even lesser.

For changing the timing belt, Gods gift to man is a 6mm spanner!! Once i had that it was really easy to turn the cam and the belt just came off..!!Iv just finished putting everything back together and am about to crank the car!!Hope it'll run!

Thanks for the help guys. All much appreciated.

Edited by jas-E

Sign in to follow this