• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonand

Cheap Datalogging For Megasquirt

jonand

I have recently fitted a MS to my race car, and thought that it would be useful to be able to view the datalog created in the tuning software. Only problem with that is that it would require my laptop to be connected durung the races - which is not ideal. I tthen came across the free suite of applications in the MS community for using Palm PDAs, and subsequently bought a brand new Palm 111c from ebay for the princely sum of £19.95. Having loaded the relevant applications in the Palm (palmlog, palmtune, palmedit), I can now plug the Palm into the serial port of the MS and not only create a datalog (for subsequent uploading and viewing on the laptop), but also view selectable realtime data on the palm display. There is also a realtime map editing facility - although I haven't used this yet.

If anyone wants more info, it can be found at the MSefi.com forum under 'palm based software'

Jon

Ahl

Thats a very good tip. Thanks Jon.

SPGTi

Yep, have a Palm ready to use .... just need to get MS installed :D

Steve

cybernck

i've got a Garmin iQue 3600 Palm-based GPS handheld unit - would i be able to use this?

SPGTi
i've got a Garmin iQue 3600 Palm-based GPS handheld unit - would i be able to use this?

You need a serial output on the Palm top. This is usually the older models, the newer ones with USB output don't connect with the MS unit. I got mine for £5 off ebay with all the discs leads, fold out keypad etc etc. If you go to the MSEFI website there is a list of known compatible machines.

Mad prof. was also looking at bluetooth connectivity, I don't know how far he has got with this though.

Steve

jonand

As long as it uses Palm OS v3.5 or above and has a serial port, it should be OK. Best try it using this link for info http://www.msefi.com/viewforum.php?f=73&am...fc90cb018421f9a. You may have to register to the forum, but its all for free. If it doesnt work, you can find Palms on ebay very cheaply - there is a section on the above forum which advises the best Palm models (I bought a Palm 111c which has a colour display)

Regards

Jon

Ahl

You do get USB to Serial converters though - I use one with a garmin GPS and it seems to work fine once its configured.

Scottieb

Nice tip Jon.

I was going to design a flash based memory unit for data loging, looks like you just sved me the trouble!

Scott

jonand
You do get USB to Serial converters though - I use one with a garmin GPS and it seems to work fine once its configured.

I believe that using a USB / Serial Adaptor is do-able with this application, but there have been some issues. If you go onto the forum I linked previously and do a search - there is a lot of info which should answer your queries. I have the standard serial port on the 111c and use a null modem adaptor whilst datalogging, then the standard straight thro serial lead to upload the datalog to the PC.

Regards

Jon

SPGTi
Nice tip Jon.

I was going to design a flash based memory unit for data loging, looks like you just sved me the trouble!

Scott

Apparently these don't work very well with MS. Lots of info on the forum though.

Steve

Scottieb

Jon, Are you Running Squirt and Spark Extra software on your ECU or just standard B&G code?

Edited by Scottieb

jonand
Jon, Are you Running Squirt and Spark Extra software on your ECU or just standard B&G code?

Yes - running MSnS Extra v3, but for ignition only ATM (R1 carbs).

Regards

Jon

Scottieb

OK, just bought a IIIc and a serial 'hot sync' cable off ebay £40 all in. Will aheva play with it. Anything to watch out for? bearing in mind I have not used a Palm ever?

Scottieb

if you dont mind me asking how are you triggering it?

jonand
OK, just bought a IIIc and a serial 'hot sync' cable off ebay £40 all in. Will aheva play with it. Anything to watch out for? bearing in mind I have not used a Palm ever?

You will need a null modem adaptor cable to link the Palm to the MS (via the hot sync lead), and standard serial cable for uploading data from Palm to PC. Otherwise its all very straightforward - help files in the software download.

Enjoy

Jon

jonand
if you dont mind me asking how are you triggering it?

My set up is triggered from the std PUG VR sensor (60-2 crank sensor), then PUG wasted spark coil pack fired via 2 drivers built into the MS.

Regards

Jon

Sign in to follow this