• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ah250

Uprated Wiring Loom For Headlights

ah250

Hi....

I used to own a Mk1 Golf GTI that had poor headlights....this was mostly based on a large voltage drop from the battery to the bulb....made the fatal mistake of throwing massive (100W+ bulbs) in, that subsequently fried a small piece of wiring...

The 'sensible' common fix was to make up a relayed set up like the diagram here:

http://www.matey-matey.com/tech_diag.shtml

This gave a tremendous increase in both bulb 'whiteness' and the ability to run 150W bulbs with no problems.

Has anyone done this with a 205, is it beneficial to???????

Cheers

Dave

Richie-Van-GTi

loads of people do it, usually to run uprated bulbs.

ah250

So are you saying that a relayed set-up is necessary to protect the existing wiring when running bigger bulbs? (i.e. like the Golf) or the existing wiring set-up is adequate.....

Or that a new homemade loom increases the voltage at the bulb (also like the Golf)?

Or both (like the Golf)......????

Cheers

Dave

Super Josh

Both ;) Being French the wiring isn't on the over engineered side :D

Josh

Rik

would be nice if someone could do a similar drawing for a 205 loom...

i can do wiring, but i'd rather someone else tell me what to do :D

Rik

ah250

Doesn't anyone make a relayed loom for the 205?

BRMotorsport & other 'followers' used to do them for Golfs.....

They were a 5 minute fit, and (used) to cost about £50....

Sounds like a good little money spinner for someone capable!

Dave

welshpug

the original setup has relays in it already, and its not a bad setup with only the earths needing attention on most.

only the rally boys would need anything like this as the original system is well up to the task of standard road legal bulbs,and when they do they make them up themselves as its only a few quid for a few relays and some wire, but I cant see where the figure of £50 came from unless the Golf really is that bad!

Rik

If i had the time i could get A/c spec looms made up, a little OTT but the voltage drops would be minimal!

Rik

ah250

From memory the 'bought' Golf looms were an absolute breeze to fit...

You connected two cables to the battery connectors, then disconnected the multi-plug from the back of your bulbs, plugged those connectors into the loom, then the loom to your bulbs. Job done......

I'm starting to wonder whether the 205 'bulb connector' may be the same fitment as the Golf? If it is the looms should fit......just dont connect the extra connectors that are available for the Golfs extra spots...

Ehmmmm???

ah250
the original setup has relays in it already, and its not a bad setup with only the earths needing attention on most.

only the rally boys would need anything like this as the original system is well up to the task of standard road legal bulbs,and when they do they make them up themselves as its only a few quid for a few relays and some wire, but I cant see where the figure of £50 came from unless the Golf really is that bad!

Yes, the Golfs lighting really was that bad! There was approx a 2.5V drop across the existing wiring which gave a really dull output. Couple this to the fact that just fitting 100W bulbs could fry your electrics (usually the main beam/indicator stalk was the part that packed up)........

Check here http://www.mattiegriffin.vispa.com/loompics/index.htm for some pics of a Golf Loom (that also has extra outputs for the Golf's driving lamps).

Now will that fit a 205?

Answers on a postcard please! :D

Anthony

At first glance, yes it looks like it would fit as it looks like it uses H4 bulb connectors, although you'd need to change the connectors for the driving lamps over.

It would be easy enough to make a relayed setup like that for a 205, but generally speaking, so long as the earths are good the standard 205 wiring setup is "good enough" for standard 55/60W bulbs and give light output as good as most non-HID modern cars that I've driven.

ah250
At first glance, yes it looks like it would fit as it looks like it uses H4 bulb connectors, although you'd need to change the connectors for the driving lamps over.

It would be easy enough to make a relayed setup like that for a 205, but generally speaking, so long as the earths are good the standard 205 wiring setup is "good enough" for standard 55/60W bulbs and give light output as good as most non-HID modern cars that I've driven.

Has anyone got a multimeter to measure the voltage at the bulbs (against the voltage at the battery), as thats the bottom line i suppose on 205's efficiency?

My lights are far from quality, and put next to my Focus C-max there is a major difference in the whiteness which makes me think theres a voltage drop happening (or my alternators underperforming) :D

Sign in to follow this