• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Batfink

A Simple Task I Thought

Batfink

When I removed my oil filter I noticed a spring hanging out and a few metal bits dropped off.

What are they all and should I be replacing them?

welshpug

sounds like the non return valve in the filter has come apart, they are part of the oil filter so you'll have a new one in the new filter (as long as you buy a decent one, many cheap filters don't have the valves)

richsmells

sounds like the non return valve in the filter. Just hope that nothing has got into the engine :(

Batfink

hmm I think I will strip off the whole oil/water housing and drop the sump to make sure there is no debris there too.

Batfink

ok i think i need to dig this up as its not part of the filter and i'm finally going to get to work on the car this weekend :blink:. The remote filter housing has the main part that the filter screws onto. If you look directly at the housing then there is a small hole at the top left. This has a spring and other metal bits hanging out. I am planning to just pull it all out and fit the new filter.

pug_ham

If the bit you are asking about is what I think it is, imo its a seperate non return valve that holds some oil in the pipes.

Pictures below are from oil filter side & pipe face side with the spring valve I think you mean below.

Graham.

post-71-1180057177_thumb.jpg

post-71-1180057188_thumb.jpg

post-71-1180057199.jpg

Batfink

that would be it! Its basically fallen completely apart

Batfink

do i need this part? should I be finding a replacement or should I not be worried?

pug_ham
do i need this part? should I be finding a replacement or should I not be worried?
It must be fitted for a reason & I think you might be in luck if you want to fit one as I've found one yesterday on a spare exchanger unit.

Graham.

Batfink

you have pm!!

Sign in to follow this