• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest cookiemonster

Windscreen Replacement

Guest cookiemonster

Hello

I'm looking at replacing my front windscreen - the question is, is the a DIY possible job ?

When Ive had it done in the past the guys have used the hammer type thing, suction pads and various bits a bobs to take out and put in the new glass.

has anyone done this themselves with the standard garage tools and can offer an opinion ?

thanks

Guest scotf

ok with the windscreen out and the rubber fited to the new screen you will need plastic coated washing line push it in to the channel in the rubber put the windscreen in place as you pull out the washing line it should pull the rubber lip over the metal push the screen from the outside as you go while pulling the washing line out continue all the way round and hey presto

Guest CB-Dave

That would work if it wasn't bonded in, which it is afaik.

Just break it, go to auto windscreens and (provided you have fully comp insurance) pay the £50 excess and get a new one bonded in. You have to take care for the first 48 hours or so, for the bonding agent to set but that's about it.

Plus you don't lose any NCB or anything like that - so it's a winner on both counts!

Rob_the_Sparky

AFAIK 205 windscreen is not bonded - hence the tradtional windscreen rubber that modern bonded screens lack

Guest Al-2

Go down the scrapyard with a stanley knife and find out :unsure: i need a new screen sometime soon as well.

Guest RALLYPUG

My mate just fitted a new tinted screen to my pug for £60....bargain

He works for a top replacement screen co. and made it look a piece of piss.

He used the old 'rope in the seal' trick!If you live near Mnchester I could ask him to help

Miles

Easy job :D The way I do it not very teccy, Is with a couple of samll flat blades working the rubber out from the inside, A pain to get started but when you complete a couple of inches it's fine, And fitting is the reverse of removal :unsure:

jackherer

they're definitely not bonded, its not difficult to change a 205 screen at all...

Guest Super Josh

Front screen isn't bonded, rear one is.

Josh

Guest CB-Dave

Damn you haynes - damn you to hell!!!

(it says the front and rear screens are bonded!)

Guest himbigchief

Just kick the front screen through from the inside (making sure to hoover all the little shards back out!) and push it through. Then I've used the old washing line in the seal trick as mentioned above. Takes about 10 - 20mins from start to finish. Not difficult really.

James

jackherer
Damn you haynes - damn you to hell!!!

(it says the front and rear screens are bonded!)

I just looked and yes it does!!!! thats so s*it, I looked in my early edition, is that what you have? If it says it in the later version too then its even worse!!! :D:wacko::P

Guest CB-Dave

Yep, i've got the later one!

Guest cookiemonster

mmm... whats the "washing line in the seal trick" then ?

also the current screen is still intact, i want to replace it with a heated screen as i dont have a heater in the car (and i cant see where im going when it mists up...)

:)

Miles

Have you got your heated screen yet? As I've got to order 5 soon so let me know as I can get them nice and cheap!!

cybernck

heated windscreen as in FRONT heated windscreen? B):)

are they available for 205's?

Guest Bigj
Have you got your heated screen yet? As I've got to order 5 soon so let me know as I can get them nice and cheap!!

Miles

How much can you get heated screens for and where are you

John

Miles

Heated screens are around £175 each + delivery and fit both the 205 & 309. I should be getting one first to check the quality of it then if anyone wants one let me know.

Guest cookiemonster

£165 incuding VAT & delivery at http://www.gi24.co.uk/

no idea about quality though...

anyway, ive just used bob heath visor spray and its done the job ok :)

Guest CB-Dave

Remember tho, with a heated front screen your radar detectors won't work!...

Guest cookiemonster

LOL @ CB_Dave

I'm unlikely to be done for speeding at castle combe ;) (the cars just used for race & track :lol: )

speedy

i changed my windscreen DIY, so it's doable

the problem is i fuc$ed 3 windscreen before i did it right (while taking them of for respray on 3 different cars)

Sign in to follow this