• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mickie

What Can I Keep

mickie

im thinking about fitting a 1.9 with twin 45s to replace my 1.6 gti..

but what i want to do it keep as much as i can from the 1.6 engine as i've re-built it and know how reliable it is now after all the work i've done to it.. cant find anything searching and the main guide just says to change everything over really..

will i just need a 1.9 block, crankshaft and pistons ?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v649/mic...urrent=zhdr.jpg

also got a 405diesel alternator

thanks for any help

Edited by mickie

welshpug

It all depends on how far into a rebuild you went, if its a fully rebuilt lump then it may be worth getting hold of a crank, rods and pistons to suit.

block and liners are the same.

on the other hand you may be better off selling your engine as a known good unit and getting hold of another 1905 engine, be it a good unit or one to rebuild.

mickie

yeah i've fully re-built my 1.6. i didnt know the 1.9 block and liners were the same, so would my piston rings go onto 1.9 pistons ? so all i'd need is the rods, pistons and crank, seems easier than i thought :D

is the 1.9 dizzy any different too? it tells you to use the 1.9 in the article

thanks

Edited by mickie

matty_gti
Is the 1.9 dizzy any different too? it tells you to use the 1.9 in the article

thanks

Yes it is, only slightly tho, differant advance curve. Some ppl put them on there 1.6 to gain a little in mid range.

Ill have a 1.9 crank and pistons for sale shortly :D

Richie-Van-GTi

Mickie, Im about to strip a 1.9 bottom end to weigh the block in along with a lot of other alloy I have. Will have 6 1.9 pistons and 2 cranks lying about. I wont include the rings or liners but they will be free if you want them :D

1x crank is known good, 1 had a spun shell so may require checking.

pistons, 5 are known good, one had the spun shell with the other crank. I know which are which and will label them all on removal anyway :D

alternativley, you can take the full bottom end with rings, liners etc still in, swap the piston with spun shell for a known good one, and build the bottom end up ready. Id want £35 that way though as the rings and liners are mint.

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

mickie
Mickie, Im about to strip a 1.9 bottom end to weigh the block in along with a lot of other alloy I have. Will have 6 1.9 pistons and 2 cranks lying about. I wont include the rings or liners but they will be free if you want them :(

1x crank is known good, 1 had a spun shell so may require checking.

pistons, 5 are known good, one had the spun shell with the other crank. I know which are which and will label them all on removal anyway :)

alternativley, you can take the full bottom end with rings, liners etc still in, swap the piston with spun shell for a known good one, and build the bottom end up ready. Id want £35 that way though as the rings and liners are mint.

that sounds great, you're only down the road from me too.

pm me your address and i time i can come along :D

Sign in to follow this