• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Veero

1.4 12v Engine Running Problems

Veero

Made the fatal mistake agreeing to look at a neighbours car...

Anyway, 1.4 12 valve Nissan Sunny, G reg so all mechanical timing and vacuum advance running on a carb etc. It's running really lumpily and will die if you don't keep giving it throttle. On idle (with throttle to keep it from stalling), it sounds like it's got an intermittent misfire.

The battery warning light is very faintly on all the time and then comes on brightly always just as it stalls which led me to believe it was the alternator but its putting out 16v when you rev the engine with full beam and fans/heater etc on so it's definately charging. Battery is relatively new and the voltage is steady and healthy. I've know of someone running a 309 on battery alone for a few miles once when the alt belt snapped, so it should run for at least a short time if the alternator was kapput. All alternator electrical connections seem ok. Fiddled around with the ignition advance and it changed nothing so set it back to where it was. From cold the alternator puts out around 14.5v as the engine warms and revs drop this increases to about 15.5v then up to 16.3v at which point or shortly after it starts struggling on idle and cuts out.

All cylinders are firing, spark plugs look ok but it has an occasional splutter and misfire on revs. With the alternator disconnected it starts and runs fine for about 30 seconds until the idle starts to drop then it cuts out. Reconnecting the alternator and it does the exact same thing.

I am stumped, all vaccuum hoses appear to be attached and intact, air filter is relatively clean and free flowing.

How can it be the alternator making the problems? I guess if it's generating an over voltage it could be producing insufficient current?

The old guy said he put half a tank of super unleaded in it, now it being an old car designed and timed for normal unleaded would putting SUL make it misfire splutter and cut out? Is it as simple as just refilling it with normal unleaded?

Any ideas greatly appreciated. :(

Veero

t16ryan

Sounds like a regulator fault in the alternator, shouldnt see that much Volts 14.8 ( max ) really, disconnect the alternator and see how it runs, it could of damaged the coil??

pugrallye

super will throw the timing out yes and too high a voltage will cause coil to overheat

Edited by pugrallye

Veero

Ahhh legend guys, Ill get down the scrappers and get a replacement alternator then.

Also worth draining the fuel out or just dilute it with a fill up of normal unleaded? I don't think there's much left in the tank.

Thanks for the advice, the Nissan forum was useless :(

Veero

Sign in to follow this