• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty_gti

1.6 Tt Engine Into My Gti

matty_gti

Evening all, well i have the opportunity to buy a complete 1.6 TT engine and was asking (ive done a search and 90% of the posts are for 2l turbos :( ) what i have to consider when putting it into my 1.6 GTi?. I know it only has 4 injectors which are uprated so would i need new engine managment etc???. i know that the engine comes with a 'Turbo technics ecu', is this different from my current 1.6 GTi ecu?.

The current owner states....

"The previous owner did not have the fifth injector controller, it was removed at some point in its life. However it has larger fuel injectors to compensate and I have been running on four injectors with absolutly no problems.(If you wnat to go back to five you can easily get it from TT or Deamon Tweaks)"

Thanks.

Edited by matty_gti

205turbo
Evening all, well i have the opportunity to buy a complete 1.6 TT engine and was asking (ive done a search and 90% of the posts are for 2l turbos :( ) what i have to consider when putting it into my 1.6 GTi?. I know it only has 4 injectors which are uprated so would i need new engine managment etc???. i know that the engine comes with a 'Turbo technics ecu', is this different from my current 1.6 GTi ecu?.

The current owner states....

"The previous owner did not have the fifth injector controller, it was removed at some point in its life. However it has larger fuel injectors to compensate and I have been running on four injectors with absolutly no problems.(If you wnat to go back to five you can easily get it from TT or Deamon Tweaks)"

Thanks.

The 1.6 tt was rated at 160bhp and it may of been possable to have run with just 4 injectors, Not advisable though as they would be running @ 100% duration if you used your 1.6 injectors , also by putting bigger injectors you tend to get more fuel when at lower revs causing bore wash. best stick to a fifth injector or a emerald/omex/ etc to control the fueling.

cheers

paul

matty_gti

Ok thanks. If i go with 5 injectors am i looking at a whole new managment system like you said 'omex' for instance or can i get away with an 'add on' to control it?. Or if i wanted to stay with bigger injectors to cope, would i need somthing to manage them to stop over fueling and to add more fuel while on boost?.

I read this in an old post by 'welshpug' regarding the 1.6 TT....

"They run an additional 5th injector and a Map sensor, and also a modified distributor with a larger advance capsule.

so the AFM deals with anything up to standard WOT, then the Map sensor controls any additional fuelling required.

a very very simple but pretty effective unit, though obviously not up to the standards of a mappable system, I think one of these with a mapped ignition would work well if the budget doesnt stretch to a full management".

Now he states that the distributor on the TT is different to a GTi, when it comes to putting a TT engine in my car would the TT ecu solve any problem i would of had with the different ignition/dist?...and whats the "Advance capsule"?.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by matty_gti

brianthemagical

if the ecu is a tt item and the engine is the same as it left them then surly it should cope ok. is it possible to get a co2 anyliser in the exhaust throughout the rev range? the advance capsule is the silver space ship thing on the dizzy.

Miles

He must be talking about a 5th Injector controller as TT AFAIK never did a ECU as back then they cost a fortune and hense the cheap option,

I;d stick with a OMEX/Emerald etc then you can ditch the AFM, Dizzy, 5th Injector and have a very good usable engine.

I guess this is the Ebay one

matty_gti
I;d stick with a OMEX/Emerald etc then you can ditch the AFM, Dizzy, 5th Injector and have a very good usable engine.

I guess this is the Ebay one

Yeah its the one on ebay :blink: .

I didnt think goin with an OMEX/Emerald like you said would mean dicthing the AFM, Dizzy and a possible 5th injector. Ive been reading the main articules on the forum of fitting a 5th injector and fitting a emerald

I think goin with a 2D 5th injector controller is far easier.......for now, but i know that fitting a full system gets far more power.

Edited by matty_gti

matty_gti
if the ecu is a tt item and the engine is the same as it left them then surly it should cope ok.

The advance capsule is the silver space ship thing on the dizzy.

I was thinkin the same thing. thought it was.

Edited by matty_gti

TEKNOPUG

There are no difference in components between the 1.9 & 1.6 TT conversions AFAIK. Some of the 1.9's got larger oil coolers but that's it. It would be preferable to use the 1.9 engine as you'll get a healthy increase in power. There is no "TT ECU", they run on stock ecu's. Whilst it may be possible to run on 4 injectors, it's not a good idea as it'll be over fueling when not on boost. If it's been run like this for a while then it may have damaged the engine (bore wash etc). The only thing different internally are the low comp pistons anyway. If you can find a later CAT XU9 engine then the parts will go straight on as it runs low comp as standard. IF you decide to go Emerald/OMEX then you can run standard comp providing you don't go silly with the boost - you'll be looking at 30%+ more power with mappable management and standard comp.

mak

You can run a 5th injector on an mf2 controller if you dont want to spend money on a fully mappable ecu. The mf2 performs exactly the same function as the tt unit.

pdd144c

For the price of an MF2 or similar and mapping etc you might as well go for something like the Emerald K3. It will only cost a few hundred pounds more and will give you a much better performing engine. I've had both and would never use a 5th injector again on a fresh build.

TEKNOPUG
For the price of an MF2 or similar and mapping etc you might as well go for something like the Emerald K3. It will only cost a few hundred pounds more and will give you a much better performing engine. I've had both and would never use a 5th injector again on a fresh build.

Nor would I but youre looking at £1k at least if you consider that youll need the ecu, loom, some form of crank sensor/flywheel/pick up, coil pack, new leads, new injectors, throttle pot sensor and other ancillaries, lambda sensor and preferably knock sensor, add in any additional labour costs plus the costs for mapping. The benefits definitely merit the cost but its not a cheap alternative compared with running a 5th injector set-up.

mak

A few hundred pound, and the rest!

As tekno has listed, the cost of an emerald is significantly more.

There's not doubt if you have the money the emerald is the way to go, but a MUCH cheaper alternative is the mf2.

pdd144c

MF2s cost £250, still need an injector, tb modified to take it, fuel lines, and mapping. They never make reliable power, you end up keeping the air flow meter, and all the issues the standard ECU give. For the sake of an extra £3-500 I'd still can't see the point of not doing it properally.

A lambda sensor and knock sensor aren't really nessecary if someone decent has mapped it...

Henry Yorke

Motronic 3.2 is not a bad unit too that can do all these things with the lambda and knock sensor!

matty_gti
Motronic 3.2 is not a bad unit too that can do all these things with the lambda and knock sensor!

Thats the mi16 managment?, this cant run a fifth injector though can it just because it has a lambda and knock sensor?, is it mappable?, or it can be with say a throttle sensor, instead of a switch. A throttle switch only detects when the throttle is closed, it doesn't give a linear signal to the ECU. Is this the term 'mappable'?.

If i make sense :rolleyes:

Edited by matty_gti

TEKNOPUG
Thats the mi16 managment?, this cant run a fifth injector though can it just because it has a lambda and knock sensor?, is it mappable?, or it can be with say a throttle sensor, instead of a switch. A throttle switch only detects when the throttle is closed, it doesn't give a linear signal to the ECU. Is this the term 'mappable'?.

If i make sense :lol:

They can be rechipped but they are very expensive. Run a search for posts by Matt Cony and "ChipWizards"

Guest Pugw0t

So i went for this engine ur talking about.. Should i run a fifth injector? im guessin from ur replys i should.. but will running a fifth one with normal ecu be ok? Also where can i get an injector?

matty_gti

o so did you buy the TT engine that was on ebay in the end?

Guest Pugw0t

Yup just hoping that like sum1 said the engine aint f***ed due to running 4 injectors did u bid?

matty_gti

yeah i was the first one. Thats what put me off in the end thinking that it may of had its day + it was just over £100 to be deliverd on a pallet to my house :P

Sign in to follow this