• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
maxi

Vernier Pulleys On A Xu10j4r And The 1.816v Equivelant, Are They The S

maxi

Does anybody know if the standard adjustable vernier pulleys on the 2.0 16v and 1.8 16v engines found in low output Xantia's etc) are the same as the GTi6 items??? I have one of the late engines and would like to upgrade to them.

Maxi

Richie-Van-GTi

Ive got a pair of the car right now, can take a photo if you want to comapre them to others? No idea what the gti6 ones look like.

maxi
Ive got a pair of the car right now, can take a photo if you want to comapre them to others? No idea what the gti6 ones look like.

Cheers mate, I just wanted to know if they had the same amount of teeth thats all. Can you remember what size bolt holds them on?

Maxi

maxi

Top bloke, thankyou!

Im going to whizz up the scrappies I think and grab a pair.

Maxi

kate205gti

im coming to see u 2moro with anthony i think :unsure: i'll burn u another parts CD in exchange for picking your brain about gti-6 conversion :):P

maxi
im coming to see u 2moro with anthony i think :unsure: i'll burn u another parts CD in exchange for picking your brain about gti-6 conversion :P :P

No problemo! :)

Thankyou very much people.

So nice to make a post and get some sensible answers.

Maxi

VisaGTi16v

hmm they look slightly different to the ones on my xsara vts but then I only saw them briefly a while ago. Im sure the adjustable tab on the inlet one was larger but I could be wrong. I think from other thread Kate has just bought a gti6 engine so could possibly take the cover off and chuck up a photo quickly :unsure:

im pretty sure the J4RS ones are only on that engine and also some dw8 (whatever that is) in a Partner van?

Edited by VisaGTi16v

kate205gti

ooh yup - covers off :unsure:

DSC01306.jpg

will take close up pic tonight and ask anthony in the meantime! :)

Richie-Van-GTi

they do look different, Kates look to have 4 spokes where mine have 3. Still suppose if number of teeth is right then they will fit no problem, they may have more or less adjustment in them though?

DrSarty

I'm always on the scrounge for new ideas. This looks like a good 'un Maxi.

Would this work on Mi head to be used instead of potentially having to have new offset cam keys made? I'm gonna leave the current offset keys in for now, but I fancy the idea of having a little adjustment to get the cam timing 'dead on balls accurate'. :blush:

Rich

PsychoSimon

to fit the mi cams you need to have the pulleys machined, but it can be done, and if your having offset keys machined anyway it will save any re-investment in the future

Anthony

Early XU10J4RS (GTi-6) with standard verniers:

Camshaft Gears = 0805 66

Camshaft Hubs = 0805 68 (both inlet and exhaust)

Early XU10J4R (2.0 16v) with standard verniers:

Camshaft Gears = 0805 66

Camshafts Hubs = 0805 67 (inlet) and 0805 68 (exhaust)

Early XU7JP4 (1.8 16v) with standard verniers:

Camshafts Gears = 0805 66

Camshaft Hubs = 0805 71 (inlet) and 0805 70 (exhaust)

So the actual gears themselves (ie the bit the cambelt runs on) are all the same, but the hubs (ie the bit that bolts to the cam) have different part numbers. The 2.0 16v ones certainly fit a GTi-6 though, although I've not tried timing a cam up to see how far offset (if at all) they are.

I've got a set in my toolbox at the moment Maxi that I picked up from the scrappy earlier in the week, so I'll bring them down tomorrow for you to have a look at if you want. Either that, or given the ones I've got are off a XU10J4R prehaps Matt could measure both hubs and see if there's any difference in offset between them (as one is a 080567 and one a 080568 the same as a '6)?

welshpug

they all use the same cambelt, you just need to find out if the 1.8 16vcam ends are the same (it may just be the timing thats different?)

petert
to fit the mi cams you need to have the pulleys machined, but it can be done, and if your having offset keys machined anyway it will save any re-investment in the future

I've got a solution where you use 0805 66 outer and fit a new centre to fit the smaller Mi16 cams.

Edited by petert

DrSarty
I've got a solution where you use 0805 66 outer and fit a new centre to fit the smaller Mi16 cams.

Is this advantageous (my real question) in fine tuning cam timing, which to me is still a little of a black art?

So is it something quite economical to add to my Mi head/cams in conjunction with or instead of my offset keys, which I understood basically changed my no.2 pullies into no.4's? Are these cheap Verniers?

DrS :P

Edited by DrSarty

petert

To me it's only advantageous if you can't get the cam to line up properly with a standard pulley and an if necessary, an offset key. They're cheaper than a new pair of verniers. Most of the time you only need to fine tune the inlet anyway, as the exhaust timing is far less critcial, thus you only need one vernier, not two.

Edited by petert

Anthony

Vernier pulleys from a DW8 diesel fit straight onto Mi16/S16 engines

petert
Vernier pulleys from a DW8 diesel fit straight onto Mi16/S16 engines

Wow! Thanks Anthony. That makes it easy. I assume you're talking about parts 0805 90 and 0805 91?

Mandic

Yes,

0805 90 for outer pulley and 0805 91 for central hub.

Cheers

Ziga

Sign in to follow this