• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonnygoodhand

Which Gearbox Should I Go For?

jonnygoodhand

I've finally had enough of the long gearing of my UK 205 Rallye and have decided it may be best to replace the gearbox.

Question is, which would be best? I've seen a couple of reconditioned saxo VTR and VTS boxes on eBay, and wondered if this would be wise and if it'd fit?

swordfish210

the XS/XT box is geared for about 110mph which makes for some pretty rapid accelaration

Casanova

You would probably see a fair difference by fitting a shorter diff. IIRC its a lot less faff to change too ;)

§

GazRallye

As said the XS box is nice and short, i think the vtr box is quite long tho

I think the 1.1 boxes are quite short, a few the ax vts boys use them for there rapid acceleration

theres a list of codes and ratios here, but unfortunately doesn't say what cars they are from

http://www.suzukituning.com/PSA/MA5%20Gear...t_category_id=2

boombang
You would probably see a fair difference by fitting a shorter diff. IIRC its a lot less faff to change too ;)

§

Massive hassle to change - have to take apart the whole box!

trogboy

1.1 boxes are longer than the XS/AX GT boxes to give better economy!

The 106 rallye boxes are shorter by a bit but they tend to go for stupid money.

The euro rallye boxes are the same ratios as the XS box but have a reinforced diff.

Edited by trogboy

Casanova
Massive hassle to change - have to take apart the whole box!

;) My bad, sorry - must be getting mixed up.

§

trogboy

Just to put the cat amongst the pidgeons why don't you look at putting a BE box in your car (do a search). Once you've done it you can tell me all the details so that I can do it without doing all the legwork.

jonnygoodhand

Ideally, I'd like to use the BE box, but after doing a search it seems they may be a right pain to fit! Especially as I'll be paying someone else to do it, I don't want to be presented with an astronomical bill again!

I'm not after a particularly short box, just one that is shorter than the standard Rallye box. At present, it shows an indicated 80mph full-out in second, which just seems insane!

christopher
The euro rallye boxes are the same ratios as the XS box but have a reinforced diff.

The TU24 box (or 2CA23) has a 14/60 reinforced Diff as trogboy rightly says

Edited by christopher

DaveW
Ideally, I'd like to use the BE box, but after doing a search it seems they may be a right pain to fit! Especially as I'll be paying someone else to do it, I don't want to be presented with an astronomical bill again!

I'm not after a particularly short box, just one that is shorter than the standard Rallye box. At present, it shows an indicated 80mph full-out in second, which just seems insane!

no way your speedo must be well out as mine can only do just under 70 in 2nd at 6.5k but i dont like the sound it makes :) , you could use a be4 box from a 307 not sure who had one maybe Sam?

Sandy

DO NOT get a VTR box, they are the same ratio's as the 205 Rallye UK!

GazRallye

That is pretty mad, my xs must show maybe 55 tops, although as said dodgy speedo could mean anything

Sandy

The 205 rallye UK box is spectacularly tall!

jonnygoodhand

I've been scouring eBay for the last couple of days, and there doesn't seem to be any decent MA gearboxes from a 205. Does anyone have an XS box they'd like to sell?

Or would I be better going for a 106/Saxo gearbox? Sandy has helped me rule out the VTR box. But how about a VTS/106 GTi box?

I seem to remember reading years back that the GTi box is slightly shorter than the VTS - Which would explain why the 106 GTi 0-60 times are longer than the VTS, as the the VTS can hit 60 in 2nd, whereas the 106 GTi needs to be in 3rd... Just a thought.

Sandy

The 106GTi and Saxo VTS boxes are identical. Period!

206 boxes might be a better bet, because the 106 GTi and VTS boxes are prized, so you pay well for them. No good reason for that either, 3.98 FDR is hardly beneficial.

Seek out 206 boxes and find out what codes you can source (eg 20CA68 or similar), let me know the codes and I can tell you what ratios they are.

Sign in to follow this