• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DaveK

Underseal

DaveK

Goin to be seam welding (hopefully) soon but wondered if the underseal is going to be flammable

Could put abit of a damper on the occasion if it goes up in flames hehe

boombang

It does go up for sure.

Should get it all off both sides of a weld to make sure it is a good strong weld anyhow.

hengti

just scrape it away from the immediate area

don't know if the stuff they put on Peugeots burns particularly well, but it's likely to burn in some fashion i'd have thought - probably just melt and smoulder

keep an extinguisher handy and some wet rags etc

i waxoyled inside the sills (that i'd just replaced) on another car once and found i needed to do some more welding

it was rather exciting..

inferno

exactly what areas are you planning to seam weld... its something im sure i can do, but dont have a clue where id begin tbh...

16v205

I use wet tissue on the areas of underseal likely to be penetrated by the weld. Keeps the heat from spreading and also stops the underseal smoking ;)

Rich

Paintguy

Yep. As above, it'll burn very well if you let it.

Either clean it off completely, or find some way to keep it cool, and have someone standing by on fire watch.

Wet rags are one option, but I usually have an airline handy to blow compressed air over it.

Sign in to follow this