• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugbliss

Coil And Ignition Amp

pugbliss

hi

what are the syptoms of when a coil breaks down under load also what are the syptoms of when an ignition amp does the same.

cheers

welshpug

coil=misfire, especially when warm.

amp=nospark.

Ahl

Thats right, but the amps usually start to misfire too, starting at high rpm, then gradually getting lower.

Anthony

Failing coils generally give misfire/stuttering under load, usually worse when warm

Failing amps generally give a misfire (often almost rev-limiter like) at higher revs, typically starting around 4000-4500rpm in my experience.

Complete failure of either will give no spark.

Super Josh
Failing amps generally give a misfire (often almost rev-limiter like) at higher revs, typically starting around 4000-4500rpm in my experience.

This often happens when the thermally conductive paste on the back of the Amp. dries out, and the Amp. starts to overheat.

Josh

pugbliss

ah i see .

well thats what im getting( slight missfire/jump /hessitant on motorway feeling )

better get new ones very soon.

best place to get them anyone...cheaply???

hodgy

ive got the same problem. mine feels like limiter is coming in at 5500rpm n mine is on carbs n i have no limiter

how do you know if its a 5 pin or 7pin module?

sounds a silly question like

pugbliss

i would take a wild guess and count the tabs on the conector part of the old module you will be replacing???

hodgy

ive changed my amp n its a lil better.my mate got me the wrong coil (phase2) so once i change that i hope its better cos its only been funny since i fitted my 285 cam tho

pugbliss

i havent done mine yet due to insurence paying. got 26 quid knocked off with being a member though!!!!!!!!

with what everyone has said to me it should fix the problem with renewing both componants. let me know cos im doing this real soon..

hodgy

ive changed them all and its still no better!!!

but it could also be my carbs that need re jetting as the valves are open longer now so need more fuel

Rob_the_Sparky
ive changed them all and its still no better!!!

but it could also be my carbs that need re jetting as the valves are open longer now so need more fuel

Sounds like a somewhat non-standard car so you may well have a different problem.

huzzer

Ive had a problem with mine for weeks! Changed the ignition amp twice and it made no difference. The two that I changed were unipart ones. As soon as I put a Bosch amp on it was fine. They dont seem to like non bosch.

Rob_the_Sparky
Ive had a problem with mine for weeks! Changed the ignition amp twice and it made no difference. The two that I changed were unipart ones. As soon as I put a Bosch amp on it was fine. They dont seem to like non bosch.

But I've had a non-BOSCH on my 309 for a while, since the old one blew and apart from needing a new coil as well then it has been fine (dying coil and ignition amp had the same symptoms...probably because the coil killed the first one but I can't prove that 100%). Quite likely the duff coil blew the ignition amp in the first place...I'm using a GSF ignition amp that also have a reputation for being a bit iffy.

Have you replaced your coil?

Rob

pugbliss

ive looked into the diffrent ignition amp ( bosch and after market) and there seems to be a big price diffrence.

after market = £27 ish (gsf)

bosch = £ 66 ish (price from pug dealer)

erm what do i do?

Huzzer.... where did you get your bosch amp from???

hodgy

ive got a brand new coil from gsf and an amp cost me £55 for both <_< but might try source a bosch one. what annoys me with mine is the car was fine before i put the new cam in now its slower cos i cant rev past 5500 rpm

pugbliss

how did you manage that???? on there web site it £25 each + vat???????

hodgy

my mate works there. can get alsorts of stuff! comes in handy for cheap bits

pugbliss

oh thats not fair.....

why dont i know anyone worth knowing lol

hodgy

he works and BRADFORD GSF if you want me to sort you out!

pugbliss

if you could that would be cool???

Sign in to follow this