• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ajones12

Reverse Light Woes

ajones12

I'm close to being able to MOT my 91 'H' plate 1.9 and have issues with the reverse light. As a bit of background, I know nothing to the car's history as I bought it off a bloke in work who was going to turn it into his rally car, but I rescued it and am trying to get it back on the road.

All of the lights in the rear clusters work fine and so does the fog lamp, but on closer inspection where the reverse light should be in the rear bumper there is nothing behind the red lens :)

So, the questions are:

1. Where does the wiring come in for the reverse light?

2. Can I buy the lamp holder for the reverse light?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Craigb
I'm close to being able to MOT my 91 'H' plate 1.9 and have issues with the reverse light. As a bit of background, I know nothing to the car's history as I bought it off a bloke in work who was going to turn it into his rally car, but I rescued it and am trying to get it back on the road.

All of the lights in the rear clusters work fine and so does the fog lamp, but on closer inspection where the reverse light should be in the rear bumper there is nothing behind the red lens :)

So, the questions are:

1. Where does the wiring come in for the reverse light?

2. Can I buy the lamp holder for the reverse light?

Thanks in advance for your help!

the red lens is just a reflector .

the reveresing light is in your light cluster .

welshpug

unless some doofus has done a P2 light conversion and not updated the reverse lamp.

ajones12

Thanks for your comments guys.

Well, the car has the phase 2 light cluster fitted to it, which matches the age of the vehicle(?). If that is the case then its a bit worrying why there is no reverse light...........

Any idea where the reverse light wiring comes in??

welshpug

I've seen H plate phase 1.9, seeing as H started august 1990 so there may not be any wiring present.

take off a light cluster and check the wiring.

tri_longer

Are reversing lights now part of the MOT test?

I had a failed switch on my old Rover 200 and never bothered to replace it and it was never failed at the MOT.

Might just save you some time and money if it's not needed.

jackherer

Reversing lights are not needed for the MOT.

Sounds like its an original ph.2 but maybe had a ph.1 rear valence put on with the dummy red cover.

pug_ham
Any idea where the reverse light wiring comes in??

phase2lights2and3.jpg

Runs from the passenger side rear light unit out through the rear panel & down to the light near the exhaust. Red plug on rear of light)

You might find it stuffed up behind the valance somewhere but is not needed for the MOT so I wouldn't worry about it to much unless you want it present & working.

Graham.

ajones12

Thanks for the info - I'll have a look tonight to see what wires I have left over dangling by the junction box behind the near side rear cluster.

But as you (and others) say - if it ain't needed for MOT then why bother???!!

Alun.

Sign in to follow this