• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dee205

Dp Engineering Turbo Kits.

dee205

Does anyone on here have a DP engineering turbo kit on their Mi16? the don't seem to be too badly priced and I'm tempted into going for one. What kind of power would be expected if ran on Emerald. (as there is a guy over here who does Emerald)

I can't see it being much more awkward a job than fitting tb's which is another option I have but the turbo route would be a bit different than the norm.

Cheers

Damien

pdd144c

Great way to. I'm running both DP and Emerald bits. You'll need the iron block for good power.

dee205

I'll probably just stick with the 1.9 block I have. Why do you say use the iron block? Is it the extra cc's? How good is the decompression plate they sell? The engine will get ripped out and rebuilt to give it a bit more reliability before hand. I'm not sure on which of the turbos would be best suited. Idealy one without much noticable lag or turbo diesel - no power, then whizzzz effect, which is a pain when you plant it to overtake and have to wait for the turbo to spool up.

kinda leaves it between the T25 and T28 but I haven't decided yet.

Damien

pug_life

alloy block is abit weak for boost although i'll prob be fired down with stories of alloy blocks being better....

S16 block is best, better with lower compression pistons and then depending on boost output rods may need changing (sure they're ok for 300bhp?).

DP's manifolds are a work of art :(

Jer309GTi

I too have been considering this turbo conversion. Apart from engine management, what other parts would you need for the conversion?

The list of parts you get is:

Garrett GT-series ball bearing turbocharger

'Welders Nightmare' equal length exhaust manifold

Stainless 3" downpipe

Stainless 3" flex pipe

Turbocharger water cooling connection set

Stainless braided oil feed line

T-piece; oil pressure switch dual outlet

T25 Oil drain flange + gasket

T2 turbine intake gasket

Hose connection for oil drain flange

Hose connection XU block

Oil and heat resistant hose

pdd144c

That's all you need really, bar engine mods and intercooler. You may want to change your inlet, we are currently developing one for mine.

Like Jay said the S16 block is the way forward, liners don't like much over 240-250 bhp....

Jer309GTi

Nice :(

Do you not need to run an extra injector then?

Shame about needing an iron block, I've only just rebuilt my engine. Might have to keep an eye out for an iron block then.

TEKNOPUG

Just bigger flowing injectors are required. Everything will depend on how much power/boost you want to run though.

pdd144c

And management yes! Forgot about that!

dee205
Everything will depend on how much power/boost you want to run though.

Sorry bit of a dumb question but I know what it is and what it does though but how do you alter it? Is it to do with the actuator or wastegate? I think i'll stick to a nice safe level and keep the engine happy rather than blowing up after a week!

Damien.

pdd144c

By regulating the wastegate you can control the boost.

Internal wastegates are fitted to most smaller turbos and these are controlled is via an actuator. You can set the minimum amount of boost by adjusting the length of the actuators rod, and any kind of boost controller will block/pulse the signal to the actuator to allow it to run higher.

External wastegates are usually fitted when using bigger turbos, and are fitted to the exhaust manifold just before the turbo. They use an integral type actuator system, which requires the spring to be changed to set the minimum amount of boost. A boost controller can again be used as above.

Hope this helps!

dee205

Yep! Great help!

:D

TEKNOPUG
Sorry bit of a dumb question but I know what it is and what it does though but how do you alter it? Is it to do with the actuator or wastegate? I think i'll stick to a nice safe level and keep the engine happy rather than blowing up after a week!

Damien.

If you run less than say, 10psi, the alloy block and other ancillaries will be fine, you'll only need a small intercooler, there will be relatively low stress on the engine and drivetrain, low levels of heat produced etc. If you get a decent engine mapper then you can no doubt run it on the standard compression, making it a very simple and straightforward conversion. Should comfortably see over 220bhp I would imagine.

dee205

For a lower CR I was thinking about the decompression plate that DP sell but then for a few hundred quid more a set of proper pistons would be better in the long run.

There would be less heat and strain them surely.

Damien

pdd144c

I can supply Wossner forged pistons for under £500 if required.

dee205

How about the rods and stuff? Will the standard ones do ok? It's going to be rebuilt with arp bolts and balanced. Prosumably the pistons clutch, flywheel and all done at together.

I'm not after mad power just a good reliable running engine with a bit of poke!

What are the Wossner pistons like?

Damien

pdd144c

All depends how far you wish to go eventually and how much you want to spend...

The pistons are good, I'm using them in my engine.

Sign in to follow this