• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest huddsta

6x9s With Sub

Guest huddsta

If i fit 6x9s in to my lovingly made parcel shelf and maybe add a sub wen funds allow is it gona sound toss? is it best to just have 1 or the other?

Robbie G

Mostly best to have one or the other. It will be ok if you box the 6x9s though. I say get a sub and spend the extra 6x9s money you've saved on a better sub/amp/fronts.

Guest huddsta

wats every1 think of active basstubes? i dont want my boot to be crammed full of amps n boxes so i thort mayb a couple of 10" wud b trick.

6x9s can be run of a head unit rite?

Guest Serg

they can yes but would sound better powered off a small amp coz im guessing your HU is only about 40-50 watts per channel.

huddsta - personal it can sound good. Like robbie said u could box the 6x9's and there would be no problem. I would definatly put some vocal componants in the back if only in the stadard spot because b4 i fitted my 6x9's it sounded crap coz there was only bass in the back.

Guest huddsta

i cant think now but is there a speaker space just back from the back window next 2 the parcel shelf? cud i stick vocal comys there?

Robbie G

Depends how much of an audiophile you are really with regards to sound staging. An active basstube would be ok but mostly not as good as a sub/amp combo or even an active sub such as vibe which are pretty good really. It's about what you can afford in cost and space terms, and maximising.

Regards higher frequencies from the rear, this is a very contentious issue and comes down to personal taste and whether you want your passengers to be happy at your expense. I personally like having a single point for my vocals, and I have some 13cm infinities in the rear factory location that I only ever switch on when passengers ask for it. The stereo effect is much greater with a front stage only, but if you want to fill your car with vocals coming from every direciton then stick some 13s in the rear quarters and an active sub in the boot if you can afford the space.

Guest jeremy

First it would be ok to run both, depending on how you like your sounds (my opinion, and sounded ok in my 106), but I would much prefer to save the money for the subs and amp and do exactly what Robbie G recommends. As if you have 6X9 in the rear this then reduces the area for the sub boxe/s. Also you say you don't want to take space up with amps, hence why you would consider an active bass tube/box, yet you would buy one with say 2X10', why not consider a single 12' either active or driven by a separate amp. Personally unless you get a cracking deal on an active bass box/tube I would buy separately as this will always give you other alternatives later, and at least if one of the components go the rest won't be wasted. Also you could place the amp under the front seat to reduce the space taken in under the boot. All this said however if I ever get round to buying bass for the rear I will buy an active box as I eventually hope to have my 309 on the road aswell and this would then be easy to be swapped from car to car.

Robbie G
i cant think now but is there a speaker space just back from the back window next 2 the parcel shelf? cud i stick vocal comys there?

Yeah here's a coupla pictures of what i've put in the rears in my car...

Arse it wont let me link to pictures, how gay. Here's the webby anyway, pics near the top: http://www.205gti.netfirms.com.

Edited by Robbie G

Guest huddsta

cool, do u use sum kinda mountin pod 4 the tweekers

?

Robbie G

Assuming you're talking about the tweeters in the front, i used the mounting baskets that came with the focals, and screwed them through the back of the trim with some small self-tappers.

Guest Gar

On the subject. Has anyone seen the Sony active 8" Active Sub?

What's it sound like? As i'm thinking of getting one.

P.S. I'm running Sony 6x9's on a custom MDF shelf. It seems to have turned the boot into a sub box, as the sound is s*ite with the rear seats down!

Guest Serg

iv been told its no that gr8 but then iv never heard it iv only been told so really not much help in posting :unsure: soz lol

Guest yoda

I had 6x9s and a sub in my xs and it sounded ok.

NickR

with subs and 6x9, they will share the same air in the boot, and they will endup cancelling each other out, esp when you consider reflections and harmonics.

Running them in or out of phase will only change the frequency ranges at which they contructly and destructly interfere.

You could try and seperate the air they use, instead of sharing, to reduce the interference down to normal levels, but it will be so much hassle you might as well do one or the other.

Simply put, your best spending more money on one than the other, rather than both, in not one single case have i heard (in a car) 6x9 with a sub sounding as loud or quality as one or the other.

Really is not worth the effort of trying to run both, save your money towards a bigger amp or better speakers.

205man

ive got a 10inch sub in my boot with 6x9 on the shelf i hant really of thought of the things nick has said so ill think ill try it without the sub and power the 6x9s with the amp instead, and at least the car will be alot lighter as that enclosure weighs a ton

Robbie G

Pfff it was good until u said amp the 6x9s and ditch the sub. Try it the other way around aswell won't you!

205man

okay ill do that but hten surely it will be all bass in the rear i would have thought it would sound better with 6x9s

Guest huddsta

wat size are the standard speakers? i think i remember it at 5" but im not sure, if so is this the biggest size that will fit in?

Robbie G
okay ill do that but hten surely it will be all bass in the rear i would have thought it would sound better with 6x9s

Bass in the rear? Can't remember at what frequency bass loses directionality (if thats a word) but it's higher than that which will be played by your sub. In my car it doesn't sound like bass is all in the rear at all, it sounds like it's all over the place. Try them both and see which you like though. However 90% of subs are located in the boot of hatchbacks, including competition winning motors, so this phenomenon of "bass in the rear" obviously isn't that pronounced.

If you want to use both then low pass and box the 6x9s, and run them from the head unit.

Robbie G
wat size are the standard speakers? i think i remember it at 5" but im not sure, if so is this the biggest size that will fit in?

5.25" in the front, 13cm. In the rear it's more like 5" cause my 13s wouldn't fit in until I bashed the speaker holes.

Loads of people have put 6.5"s in the front factory locations, mattcony springs to mind: http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?a...413&hl=speakers and http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?a...t=ST&f=4&t=5431. C_W also put 6x9s in the front but I can't find the thread.

The cutting looks scary, I bought some enclosures but they were muchos greenbacks. Depth of magnet seems a bigger issue, i.e. will they foul the window rail.

205man

okay i was going to give it ago but its pissing down now so ill try it tomorrow but i dont want to tak eout my 6x9s really as i havent got a spare shelf and it will look rank with 2 big holes there and if there left it seems a shame not to use them.....oh bugger now youve confused me i thought i was happy with what id got, but i want it to be right so ill give it ago

C_W

Yes, I have 6x9s in the front doors of mine by cutting out the original hole (a touch :unsure: ). You need to be careful about the depth of the speaker (but more importantly) the way the casket frame angles in towards the magnet as this needs to avoid the window channel. The 6x9s I've put in aren't the bassiest 6x9s in the world but they were what I had at the time (I used to have them on the shelf) and they do give extra bass over the original size (obvisouly), but can also handle more power withot distortion (compared to some Sonys I had).

I've got better 6x9s on the rear shelf on an MDF stealth shelf and they sound a lot better than my old 6x9s on the normal parcel shelf, not sure how much is to do with the fact that the speakers are higher quality or the MDF making a better mount for the speakers. Mat172 & NickR have heard and I'm sure they will say it sounds ok!

As for running 6x9s and a bass box in the boot I used to run it like this (bass off the speakers leaving the sub to give the bass) and it was fine. I can't see speakers blowing unless as it will breather a lot around the shelf and seats. I got rid of the sub because it was too heavy for me and wanted more bass from the shelf speakers.

Simes

Chris,

Do you have any pics of 6x9"s mounted up front - interested to see your stealth arrangement!

Guest huddsta

kinda paranoid bout gettin my 6x9s nicked, any1 used that glass strengthening film?

Is it any gud? i.e will it take a knock with a hammer?

205man

i havent tried removing one or the other yet but robbieg why shouldnt i amp the 6x9s i sounds as if you dont agree

Sign in to follow this