• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest huddsta

6x9s With Sub

Robbie G

Who cares what I say, it's just my opinion from trying it myself. Try it and see what you think sounds best.

205man

ah i thought there was some technical reason for not putting an amp on them, i think i might still take the sub out though is so bloody heavy, its not in a box its in a custom built tube its 18 inches long and the walls of the tube are over an inch thick and made from the same material as gas pipes as it doesnt flex, but just weighs a ton and in my old car i had 2 off these,its a wonder the car moved

and i wan to remove as much weight as possible as i want to a couple of track days, and dont need to be dragging that around the track

NickR

Sound starts to loose directionality @ 50hz approx, but this varys person to person.

Then add to the fact that a music sound has more than one freqeuncy with harmonics and sub harmonics, its been shown that the average male voice has SOME sub frequencies, tho probably of such a small order, they are inaudioable.

A REAL bass drum has a high concentration of 100 to 150hz sound, depending on the drum can have some audioable sub-bass.

This is why a sub can have a good effect on something like rock music which has no deep bass, as there is some sub-bass which adds extra depth and warmth to the sound.

Remember this, a pure sub-bass sound is in audioable, only felt, its actually the harmonics that you hear. This is why having good cross overs makes such a difference to a speaker system as a poor cross over will simply hide the harmonics, using a gentle xover slope prevents this, but then reduces clarity.

As robbie said, the best thing to do is to try various setups and listen to them carefully and pick the one that sounds the best to you.

Ive been building speakers for years (built surround speakers at gcse, built my own pseudo surround analog processor at a-level), and 50% of the effort is in careful design and matching of components. The other 50% is in the installation and attention to quality control. You can have all the power on earth and feck it up with poor install or oversight in design.

This is why most good hifi-s and ice are simple, but oozing with quality and attention to detail.

Guest Duroc

I put 5.25" speakers in the front as I wasn't confident about cutting. But I wish I had gone for 6.5"'s, as the smaller speakers don't give enough depth at the front, at lower volumes.

205man

okay ive tried the stereo with just the sub in the rear and then just the 6x9s and the 6x9s won

so ive took the sub out it just sounded to bassy on its own and im glad as the thing weighs a bloody ton so now the car is lighter

i havent though tried the 6x9 with an amp ill have ago tonight but that might come out yet if not happy with it,

alan

C_W
okay ive tried the stereo with just the sub in the rear and then just the 6x9s and the 6x9s won

so ive took the sub out it just sounded to bassy on its own and im glad as the thing weighs a bloody ton so now the car is lighter

i havent though tried the 6x9 with an amp ill have ago tonight but that might come out yet if not happy with it,

alan

I've found amping 6x9s just takes the load off the headunit. But if you have a pokey headunit then I wouldn't expect to see any benefits, just extra wiring.

If people are going to the French Car Show this weekend, it might be a good opportunit to compare systems???

Robbie G

alan

Why did you buy a sub if you didn't want proper bass? If there's too much just turn the gains down on the sub channel and leave the front gains the same.

205man

robbie ive had the sub for about 5 years now and ive always thought it sounded ok but now im not so sure it my of course be down to the fact the sub could be getting past it as its had some thrashing, i tried playing around with the gains but just couldnt seem to get it right, so anyway for time being ill just run a set of 6x9s in the rear (until i get bored and either put them back in or buy a new sub and try that :D )

Sign in to follow this