• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest kuipers23

Car Wash Catastrophe

Guest kuipers23

This may seem like a stupid question to most.

After going through a car wash I noticed that my ariel had been snapped off. It has snapped it right at the base.

How do undo the bolt so I can put another one on. It looks a bit funny. Do i have to do something around the interior light?

One thing I do know is don't use automated car washes.

Thanks in advance!

Batfink

pull the interior light out and you can then get to the nut i believe

Edp

I did the exact same thing in my xs many moons ago and have never used a car wash since.

Batfink is right. The interior light pops out (snapping its fixing lugs in the process) you should then see a really corroded nut which is attached to the base of the aerial. Once you f***ed about with that for an hour the nut should round off and hey presto you have the base removed. Get a new one from ebay for a tenner.

Super Josh

There's usually a chrome coloured cap over the nut, where the cable it clamped. Just prise it off and you should see the offending nut :rolleyes:

Josh

hoody_g
Get a new one from ebay for a tenner.

Or about the same from you local pug dealer

Hoody

Richie-Van-GTi

bit of silicon on refitting ensures the inetrior light wont fill with fluid next time the clouds decide to get a little close as well :)

Edp
Or about the same from you local pug dealer

Hoody

Thats not delivered to your house and you have to deal with peugeot parts people :P

TaffyTim

If youve not done the job yet heres my thread when i did mine, theres a pic of this said cap in there.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...c=66152&hl=

Also, have a mate about when you are ready to tighten up the new ariel. You will find your arms are not long enough to hold it in place and tighten the screw inside at the same time ;)

kate205gti

and if u run ur hand up and down the snapped off ariel u find metal splinters for weeks ;):)

but as said - car washes are bad!!! :D

205gt-ty

Just replace my aerial with a short 40mm pug one of ebay I had to do the job twice as tried to do it at work and found the locating lug on new one was slightly larger than the old one so had to do it again at home where I had a drill.

Method that worked for me

Open sunroof lever

Prize out interior light then using philips screwdriver remove interior light trim to give better acess it will lift out over sunroof lever.

Using flatblade screwdriver prise of cap then use 8mm socket to remove nut then replace aeril then put it all back.

hope this helps.

mossy

All learn from your mistakes!!!! :(

I all ways unscrew my areal if using a car wash ( which is very rare) :)

Al

Sign in to follow this