• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest sweetiewells

Newbie Suspension Issues

Guest sweetiewells

Hi this is my first thead and i have a few problems with the suspension on my 205. For a start it knocks quite loud and does not handle well at all at the moment, also when you look at the top mounts they are very oily, does this mean the shocks are leaking?? I have seen the bilstein streetline kit which i was thinking of buying but a few guys i know with 205s say dont bother. I dont want to spend alot of money but want to get it sorted out, any suggestion?? and which parts am i going to need to replace???

Guest sweetiewells

I should also say that the car is going to be mainly used as a track car if this helps.

GTI6BOY

bilstein/koni are both good kits, and you can adjust the stiffness of the konis.

also when i changed mine i went to peugeot and bought the full top mount kit as my bearings were gone £80 for both sides

i changed the drop links too £20

Guest sweetiewells

sounds good, ive heard the konis are good, i found a kit for around £270, this a good price??

bilstein/koni are both good kits, and you can adjust the stiffness of the konis.

also when i changed mine i went to peugeot and bought the full top mount kit as my bearings were gone £80 for both sides

i changed the drop links too £20

Miles

You need to check the Drop Links and track rod ends too, Bottom ball joint's on the wishbones, But for the top mount's I;d just buy the bearing and a hard rubber ring as the std ones are very soft

GTI6BOY

i paid 350 for adjustable konis (delivered)

Guest sweetiewells

I think the ones i was looking at are not adjustable, they just lower the car by 20mm. Are the bilsteins on this page worth getting??

http://www.justperformance.co.uk/springsanddampers.htm

We were thinking of getting the front shocks and then using them with the standard springs as these should still be ok, then getting a peugeot top mount kit and probably look at replacing the droplinks aswel as they dont cost alot.

Dream Weaver

Maybe just renew the std stuff if you're on a budget?

Lower arms, trackrod ends, drop links, bushes, top mount bearings/bushes, struts/springs etc.

Guest sweetiewells

I dont know a great deal about suspension so not sure what all the parts do, does anyone know of a site which explains the different parts of suspension.

I have found these following parts in the GSF catalogue:

Tie rod 12.50

Tie Rod Ends 9.50

Top Mounts 22.50

Droplink 17.25

Droplink Bushes 1.50

is it a good idea to replace all of these parts? are there better aftermarket alternatives i should buy instead?

Cheers

Edited by sweetiewells

M@tt

Try phoning a couple of your local motor factors as some prices can defiantely be beaten on gsf's (but on most things they are very good)

I've just done my Track Rod Ends (£5 +vat) and Droplinks (£10 + vat) so you could save your self some money there

I wouldn't bother doing your track rods themselves unless you have play in them, just do the ends instead.

Also GSF bushes are said to be a bit pants, best getting genuine Peugeot ones, they aren't that much more but alot better quality.

HTH

also

Instead of the complete top mount kit you can buy the bearings themselves from gsf (look for Citroen ZX bearing - same thing) for £7.50 each + vat and get some www.bakerbm.com rubber mounts (£16 for a pair - 205 gtidrivers discount + £2.50 p&p)

Edited by M@tt

Guest sweetiewells

Cheers thanks for the help will have a look into that lot and see what i can come up with :P

Sign in to follow this