• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
blackpug

1.9 Mods

blackpug

I'm building (another) car up for road rallying which means it must retain the standard inlet plenum. Now, this is up for debate as it could well be flowed and stuff inside but look standard, so that would be fine ;) .

What should i do to the engine to eek out a bit more power? Cheap as possible really, i've done things like cone filter, exhaust, removed things like inlet heater water pipes and SAD valve. Just wondering if there are any more obvious things i should do? I'm pretty handy with a spanner so i'll attempt most things (or get someone who knows how to to do it!).

Cheers,

Ad.

welshpug

I know a lot used to run emerald or similar on stock engines, does away with the AFM and gets fully mapped engine management.

blackpug

I'm hoping to run aftermarket management one day but funds dont allow at the moment as i'd want to run a proper cam and have it mapped to suit. Is there any scope for improvement with different injectors or exh manifolds?

willxs

could you fit a bigger throttle body?

blackpug

Depends, i have seen cars with astra GTE bodies on go through scrutineering so i guess so. What one to go for and how much better is it?

Craigb

Can't see you making much extra without some head work (3 angle valve seats) or a Cam and extra compression ( a skim or 1600 pistons).

Maybe the next stage is weight reduction if you are not going down the above route.

In my experience, a quicker road rally car comes from suspension mods, better tyres, and the right gear box.

The power is the expensive bit , unless you put a different engine in ( Mi16 etc)

SPGTi

Best performance mod is a good navigator !!!

Steve

blackpug

It's pretty much as light as i can get it realistically, and i have a 1.9 box with a 1.6 cwp in it which seems to work pretty well.

lol at SPGTi's comment - i dont think the mrs a.k.a. nav would like that idea!

smckeown

As mentioned above, i have a set of 1.6 pistons for sale with very few miles on them.

Have you looked at the gearbox/final drive combinations ? As craig alluded to, I think people tend to focus too much on power rather than al lthe other areas like gearing, weight, ability, suspension etc..

Craigb
Best performance mod is a good navigator !!!

Steve

Where do you buy those from Steve?

SPGTi
Where do you buy those from Steve?

Wish I knew, your brother seemed to do OK on the Pirelli though. Are you not doing any stages in the funny seat ?

Steve

Craigb
Wish I knew, your brother seemed to do OK on the Pirelli though. Are you not doing any stages in the funny seat ?

Steve

Yes first Fiesta ST was a great result for him. I think they have a chance of winning the Championship this year

This year , for me may be quiet on the Co driving front , My usual driver is having a year off. So I'm just waiting for the phone to ring for other offers .

blackpug

I've got a 1.6 engine with the head gasket on the way out so i'm good for pistons - are they a direct swap and do things like fuelling and ignition advance need adjusting to suit?

SPGTi

Sorry for going off topic.

My road rally car spec is

1.9 8v std plenum etc

hotter cam

increased compression

l+b bottom end

head slightly worked (not sure what as I bought the engine complete from out of a rally car)

I get very good torque and power, but surprising well mannered. In comparison with other std 1.9s it is quick.

Steve

blackpug

On standard management?

SPGTi

At the moment. It has been set up on the RR for fuel pressure, advance and retracking AFM.

Steve

blackpug

How much did it cost to have it set up like that (on the RR)? Just a rough price would be cool, as i know that these things will vary from place to place and car to car etc...

DamirGTI

Hi !

See this test of 205 GTI OE inlet mainfold :

http://www.guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?t=7

this also :

http://www.guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?t=45

And if you wish you can try to do some head porting by yourself B)

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...c=69859&hl=

(valve seats are : inlet 15',30',45',60',75' and exhaust 15',45',60',75')

I've done this on my engine togheader with flat top pistons (11.1 CR) from DFZ engine and car is running sweeet !! :rolleyes: (allthou i have some problems with lean fuel mixture but that is normal when making head modifications.. must sort this out :angry: )

cheers !

Damir

SPGTi
How much did it cost to have it set up like that (on the RR)? Just a rough price would be cool, as i know that these things will vary from place to place and car to car etc...

At the place I use this is all done as part of a std rolling road tune. He does a few runs at different settings and if there is any noticeable difference in curves we decide which one will be best, usually sacrifice top end for a better torque spread (as the ignition is not mappable it is always a comprimise and not big differences).I pay £50 an hour, as he knows my car very well it never usually takes very long to set up now.

Steve

Sign in to follow this