• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
inferno

Rad Lowering (again)

Henry Yorke

2Rad-lowering.jpg

This is what I have in my sip to allow boost pipes over the top.

2IMG_7371-med.JPG

The top of the rad is held in place by the coolant and boost pipes! It moves about only a little bit, but I have never had a problem. The fan is bolted direct to the radiator. There is no cowling anymore.

Personally not dead keen on chopping bits out when you can do this easy solution

sutol

Personally not dead keen on chopping bits out when you can do this easy solution

Does the grill fit and has the radiator been lowered ?

And will an MI 16 fit in there?

If yes yes yes then congratulations, all my schemeing and reaming has been in vain ;)

inferno

If yes yes yes then congratulations, all my schemeing and reaming has been in vain :)

but... im fitting a turbo and a massive intercooler... so no B&Q for me, just IMS and a welder ;)

Pugnut

this reminds me of when i was fitting a brand new rad . the old rad was fixed via tiewraps to the cowling via small holes on the perimeter of it iirc . the new rad didnt have holes so i got the drill out . snapped the bit on the last hole and pushed the drill through the brand new rad rendering it useless.doh!

that was years ago ;)

Henry Yorke

If yes yes yes then congratulations, all my schemeing and reaming has been in vain ;)

Yes - little brackets made up to hold the bottom of the grille from the side of the headlight panel, just twisted bits of "Meccano" you can get from Homebase!

Yes - the rad is loads lower so the boost pipes can go over a standard 205 rad

Yes - loads of room as the rad can sit further forward than standard as the fans are not in the way

sutol
pushed the drill through the brand new rad rendering it useless.doh!

that was years ago ;)

I repair accidents like that with 'Milliput'

About a year ago, whilst removing the security armour from a 106 Diesel pump, I shoved my large screwdriver through the radiator. I made an easy permanent repair using the two part putty called Milliput bought from the modeling shop (not those models, the little car and train models) and it is still going strong after hot summer weather and a cold damp winter.

I also repaired a BMW exhaust manifold with it so it is good stuff.

I still can't see that grill fitting over that intercooler thing ! :)

DrSarty

Well that's it for me. Bumper bracket holes fixing in a tube with captive nuts with side mount brakets for rad.

I am hereby stealing this idea for my own personal use at the expense of SUTOL and INFERNO as it's his thread.

:lol:

....... :o ...at least I'm honest.

Anyway, how simple was that with a bit of a discussion? Well done all. :D

Rich :blush:

P.S. I'll post up on this thread when I've down mine with my measurements and parts used too.

P.P.S. Not MY measurements!!! The rad stuff you pervs :lol:

Edited by DrSarty

max0
Well that's it for me. Bumper bracket holes fixing in a tube with captive nuts with side mount brakets for rad.

I am hereby stealing this idea for my own personal use at the expense of SUTOL and INFERNO as it's his thread.

:lol:

....... :o ...at least I'm honest.

Anyway, how simple was that with a bit of a discussion? Well done all. :D

Rich :blush:

P.S. I'll post up on this thread when I've down mine with my measurements and parts used too.

P.P.S. Not MY measurements!!! The rad stuff you pervs :lol:

How come your lowing your rad?

Ive been looking at lowering my rad to fit my intercooler behind the grill... as its less pipework and in turn cheaper.

however now I dont think its the way to go. Think im going to leave the rad alone and mount the intercooler under the rad.

I thought about using bonnet pins and removing the pin bit that goes into the slam panel and safty catch to give a bit more space.

I wouldnt cut that metal bit at the front. Ive got a lower strutbrace to go on mine which looks like it will help if i was going to. If you cut it you could maybe get around it with a lower stuct brace but the front wings are still going to have a bit of flex?

inferno

imo the only dissadvantage of fitting the IC in the grill, COULD be the limited air space behing the IC due the to pipes/throttle body being so close. it MAY restrict air flow. obviously if flow is seriously reduced then heat soak from the rad may occur.

with the intercooler in the valance this wont be the case.

probably wont be an issue tbh, and id rather have my ic away from the road and large stones/rodents!

DrSarty
How come you're lowering your rad?

Well first off I acknowledge I don't have intercooling to worry about. Also it's not being done just to stay in with the in-crowd because it's an 'in' thing to do.

It's mainly for much more manifold clearance AND increased air-flow into and around the engine. That would cover bringing it forward, but the lowering aspect is to leave the way for ITBs in the future. In short I want my engine to run cool, have loads of cold air to breath and be tidy for access with a route for yet another upgrade. My oil filter BTW on the Mi basically touched the rad under load and marked the fins. :blush:

As an aside, I can't help but feel a lowered rad is another contributing factor towards a lower CofG and even better handling.

Just my reasons.

Rich

GLPoomobile

Edited my reply as it's appeared in the wrong frickin topic :lol:

But since I'm here now I might as well give my 2 cents worth :D That looks a good inch or so lower than the towing eye. The Towing eye is only about 1cm above the bottom of a standard valance isn't it? So surely that will sit below the level of the valance :D

Edited by GLPoomobile

ifcho

Yeah, you might be right.

However I have not welded it yet, just two or three drops to see how it would stand. I'll move it up a a 2 inches.

Sign in to follow this