• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Casanova

Refreshing Suspension

Casanova

I've scheduled the XS in for a week of overhauling in June - I should have a rebuilt engine and box ready to drop in by then and hopefully some uprated brakes too. However I'd like to look at the suspension too. Not really looking to spend any substantial money on performance dampers or anything, but what should I be looking at, bush-wise and otherwise, to make sure the car is working optimally and handling well?

This is partially because I want to anyway and partially because I'll be doing my first track day in August and I want the car to be able to handle it!

Any advice much appreciated, thanks

§

Baz

Strut top mount bearings and bushes, wishbone bushes - if the BJ's are good, anti roll bar mount bushes, drop links, rear beam mounts.

Probably more!

Pug_101

rebuild the rear beam sort out brakes if going on track.

Cheers

Casanova

Standard stuff or poly?

§

niklas

Standard bushes are fine.

You could also upgrade the suspension to gti spec if you like.

Casanova

As in shocks and springs? What differences are there? How much would that cost?

§

Longfield

Well... if this isn't like opening a can of worms! Seriously though, everyone will have their own opinion on this. My experience has been with using Spax RSX on my track biased road car [before i took it off the road] and Bilstein's [is it the streetline?] yellow set up on when my car was purely mean't for the road.

In my experience, the Bilstein set up with 25mm lowering springs [my car had was a 1.9GTi] was brilliant at on the front but the rear for the road was too harsh.

By comparisson, like the Bilstein the RSX set up is fine at the front for the road as well as the track when cranked up a few notches but the rear is waaaaaaay to soft for anything other than 'fast' road.

Not too sure how much the Billies cost these days but i think the RSX set up from spax is around the £450 mark.

My local mechanic swears by GAZ [he uses them on his ford race car] and the GAZ gold [which when I spoke with GAZ on the phone, this is what they recommended for a 205 for road and track] costs around £570 trade - so expect to pay around £750 RRP. Personally however, I don't have any experience of the Gaz dampers and springs so I cannot give any feedback on them.

Hope this helps

niklas

§

As in subframe, track control arms, front antiroll bar, front shocks, front springs, rear antirollbar, rear torsion bars.

You can probably find it to a quite nice price on here..

It will literally transform the handling of your car :)

Casanova
Well... if this isn't like opening a can of worms!

Not too sure how much the Billies cost these days but i think the RSX set up from spax is around the £450 mark.

My local mechanic swears by GAZ [he uses them on his ford race car] and the GAZ gold [which when I spoke with GAZ on the phone, this is what they recommended for a 205 for road and track] costs around £570 trade - so expect to pay around £750 RRP

As in subframe, track control arms, front antiroll bar, front shocks, front springs, rear antirollbar, rear torsion bars.

You can probably find it to a quite nice price on here..

It will literally transform the handling of your car :huh:

Sounding a fair bit more than what I meant TBH. I've always had the philosophy with the XS that there was no point spending serious money on it, if I was to do that it would be better to just save up for a better car. Its fun as it is; I was more after cheap upgrades that would make a difference on track and keep it fresh.

Lets set a budget of £100 max for the suspension (brakes are being covered elsewhere).

I plan to replace the top mounts, wishbone bushes, ARB mount bushes, drop links and rear beam mounts as advised below. That sounds about right, and I would hope I could pick all those up for a 2-figure sum (where is good?).

I might go as far as shocks and springs if I could pick a set up cheap. There's a CTi in the scrapyard near me - I assume the shocks and springs would fit OK off that. But regarding my question earlier - what difference would standard GTi shocks and springs make over XS items? I.e. is it worth doing?

§

Marlon

I didn't think the xs had wishbones? or is it the double wishbones

pug_ham
I didn't think the xs had wishbones? or is it the double wishbones
They all have wishbones but they are called lower track control arms on the XS & base models fairly often instead.

Graham.

Marlon
They all have wishbones but they are called lower track control arms on the XS & base models fairly often instead.

Graham.

ah ok thanx ;)

Casanova

I have bought a set of GTi shocks, front and rear. They came with the springs for the front but I haven't decided whether or not to fit them yet.

§

DirtyFlare

I am also refreshing my suspension and have purchased most of the items already discussed in this topic but have a few questions;

1) can you by the balljoints that are in the wishbones separately or do you have to buy a whole new wishbone?

2)do drop links come in pairs or individually? (from gsf ecp etc?)

Pug_101
1) can you by the balljoints that are in the wishbones separately or do you have to buy a whole new wishbone?

Only with new wishbones.

Not sure about question 2.

Cheers

pug_ham
2)do drop links come in pairs or individually? (from gsf ecp etc?)

Individually but its best to replace them in pairs.

Graham.

DirtyFlare

Thanx for the replies guys ;)

i have searched and found out that OE bushes (ARB and wishbone) are more desirable, but where is the best place to get them?

ECP list them at only about £2 per bush, are these any good or are they inferior after market ones? Is it bes to get them direct from Peugeot?

GLPoomobile
Thanx for the replies guys ;)

i have searched and found out that OE bushes (ARB and wishbone) are more desirable, but where is the best place to get them?

ECP list them at only about £2 per bush, are these any good or are they inferior after market ones? Is it bes to get them direct from Peugeot?

Get OE Pug ones. They are not expensive. You can get a kit which includes all the wishbone bushes, nut and bolts for about £15, and IIRC that has everything for both sides.

ARB bushes are only a few quid too.

Super Josh
Get OE Pug ones. They are not expensive. You can get a kit which includes all the wishbone bushes, nut and bolts for about £15, and IIRC that has everything for both sides.

ARB bushes are only a few quid too.

Part No. 359907 for the wishbone bush kit. You'll need one for each wishbone.

Josh

GLPoomobile

I dunno if I just got lucky, but I did get all the parts for both sides in one kit.

See here cheap bush

Edited by GLPoomobile

DirtyFlare

I have just been down to Peugeot and ordered the parts for my car.

The parts I ordered were;

Top Strut Mounting Kit (suspension top mounts, rubber, bearing etc) - 503193 - £39.96 each

Anti-Roll Bar (ARB) Bushes - 509442 (Left) - £3.70 each

- 509443 (Right) - £3.84 each

Wishbone Bush Kit - 359907 - £17.74 each

Although I was informed that the ARB bushes come in pairs per side and have to be ordered from Peugeot in France. So I would have to buy 2 bushes for each side as they wouldn't be able to sell the the two bushes (1 left and 1 right) that i didn't want.

So once i get them i will have two ARB bushes (1 left and 1 right) for sale.

I hope this is helpful to people.

pug_ham
Part No. 359907 for the wishbone bush kit. You'll need one for each wishbone.

Josh

No you don't, I recently bought the lower wishbone kit from Pug & ordered two thinking thats what 'd need to do both wishbones.

When I collected them, there are enough bushes & bolts in one of the 3599 07 for both wishbones.

I now have spare wishbone set for use in future. :(

I had the same with the oe arb bushes, you have to order two of each. :(

Luckily I have four 205's that use these bushes so I wasn't bothered. Its less than £10 for them both anyway.

Graham.

DirtyFlare
No you don't, I recently bought the lower wishbone kit from Pug & ordered two thinking thats what 'd need to do both wishbones.

When I collected them, there are enough bushes & bolts in one of the 3599 07 for both wishbones.

ahh now he tells me :(

ahh well looks like i will spare ones of those too :(

Edited by DirtyFlare

GLPoomobile
ahh now he tells me :D

ahh well looks like i will spare ones of those too :P

Eh? I mentioned this fact days ago! B)

DirtyFlare
Eh? I mentioned this fact days ago! :D

Well i wasnt too sure if yours was a one off or not as to me it didnt seem definite.

Ahh well you live and learn... :lol:

Sign in to follow this