• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davemar

Removing Right Hand Driveshaft.

davemar

I'm trying to remove the right-hand side driveshaft from the 205 (1.1 TU with MA box) and I can't shift it. I've slackened off the two L-shaped bolt things that hold the intermediate shaft into the mounting, but the thing won't budge. The left-hand shaft came out very easily.

I've never had this problem on my 205 GTi, and it looks reasonably similar on this 1.1 model. Any ideas how to get this driveshaft out?

Rob Thomson

The bearing's probably seized into the housing. They usually come out with some gentle persuasion. There's a lip on the shaft just inboard of the bearing that's handy for smacking with a drift and a hammer.

Don't pull the outer shaft though, the CV will come apart.

Doof

Mine were quite stiff to get out, i stuck something in the gap and prised the thing out.

Casanova

I've done two and both were a bitch. In the end I just unbolted the housing from the back of the engine (three bolts and some locating dowels IIRC) both times.

§

swordfish210

make sure that the "L" bolts are not slipping back over the bearing and holding it in place, i find a slide hammer will pull the shaft out quite effectivly

macaroni

Mine was also very stiff and I ended up undoing the mounting and removing that with the shaft. It was then much easier to remove the shaft off the car.

Ruskyruss

Try a ball joint splitter and a hammer on the afore mentioned lip to knock her out, wd40 is good too

davemar

I think I'll go for the removing the mounting route, sounds less brutal. I'll let you know how I get on.

Anthony

Just give it a bash with a hammer and suitable drift - most 205/309 shafts do this to me to some degree, and I've yet to fail to shift one (eventually)

davemar

I removed the driveshaft and mounting in one go. That was a right hassle to as there wasn't enough room to get the whole lot out. Fortunately I was removing the gearbox anyway (to change the clutch), so once that was out of the way, the driveshaft and mount were easy to remove.

Once I got it on my bench vice it required a lot of hard hammering before coming apart. No wonder I couldn't remove it in situ, as I was never going to get enough welly on it under the car.

funkymofo

Ye I've got mine out by removing the engine mount housing from the block. Only problem is now I still can't get the bearing off so looks like new driveshafts (although they are probably due anyway).

Possibly the worst job I've had to do on mine yet.

Jrod

Only one time did I have a problem getting one out and I was rushing so I just snapped the driveshaft at the CV joint.... :)

Sign in to follow this