• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
309PUG

Oil Breather

309PUG

I am a little puzzled and don't know if I should be concerned that my oil catch tank can get 1/2 full (1/2 ltr tank capacity) after a 20min session on track.

The breather pipes are all as std with the exception of one pipe from the oil filler goes to catch tank the other side of the filler is blocked off, the catch tank then vents to atmosphere via a small filter.

It is running on throttle bodies and is a good old fashioned 8V.

Thoughts anyone ??

Chris

Richie-Van-GTi

last engine I had that pushed that much oil through was piped wrongly, the cam cover oil pipe was going to inlet instead of bottom of block, check yours isnt the same. Mine done in 5 litres of oil between boro and FCS06 last year. I got lucky as the sump was pretty much devoid of oil when I got there.

rescue dude

My 8 valve is plumbed in with the cam cover to the catch tank, bottom of block to the catch tank and oil filler to the bottom of the catch tank via a 28mm welded spigot.

The tank is breathable and i top up the oil by removing the breathable cap.

Only problem i get is i need to regularly ( once every couple of months ) clean the white gunk out of the pipe going to the tank from the bottom of the block as it seems to over pressurize and blow oil out of the catch tank. Although i suspect i need to mount the tank closer to the refilling hole in the block so that it runs back into the sump better.

309PUG
last engine I had that pushed that much oil through was piped wrongly, the cam cover oil pipe was going to inlet instead of bottom of block, check yours isnt the same. Mine done in 5 litres of oil between boro and FCS06 last year. I got lucky as the sump was pretty much devoid of oil when I got there.

Yes, that is how I had it originally, ie cam cover oil breather pipe to catch tank, it filled the catch tank full in 5 laps !!!! So I put that pipe back into the sump.

Just to recap, ALL the breather pipes are connected as std with the exception that I have mentioned above.

Chris

309PUG
My 8 valve is plumbed in with the cam cover to the catch tank, bottom of block to the catch tank and oil filler to the bottom of the catch tank via a 28mm welded spigot.

The tank is breathable and i top up the oil by removing the breathable cap.

Only problem i get is i need to regularly ( once every couple of months ) clean the white gunk out of the pipe going to the tank from the bottom of the block as it seems to over pressurize and blow oil out of the catch tank. Although i suspect i need to mount the tank closer to the refilling hole in the block so that it runs back into the sump better.

So in theory your breathed oil is draining back to sump via the catch tank ??? thought this was a no no ??

Chris

m.i-man

I gave up trying to ask how these should be fitted. One person has it one way, another has it differently. Views differ so much on the setup of these! I installed mine with the return to the crank, but then had a load of people say this was wrong, so I change it to how they had them installed, adn was tod that the more oil in the tank means less in the sump. Once up to temp, the water should evaporate through the vent, and the oil vapour then returns to the sump. So after being told all this, I'm as confussed as ever with how they should be installed!

rescue dude
So in theory your breathed oil is draining back to sump via the catch tank ??? thought this was a no no ??

Chris

I suppose it is. I did it this way so i could get rid of a lot of the pipework and make it as simple as possible.

I don't have any problems with oil pressure and i don't use a lot if any in driving so it surely can't be that wrong can it?

Why is it a no no?

309PUG
I suppose it is. I did it this way so i could get rid of a lot of the pipework and make it as simple as possible.

I don't have any problems with oil pressure and i don't use a lot if any in driving so it surely can't be that wrong can it?

Why is it a no no?

I know where your coming from about simplifying all pipework, could,nt agree more.

Well you would'nt use a lot of oil as it is returning back to sump.

It's a no no due to the fact any moisture in the pipes (from sitting over night) gets fed directly back into the engine :ph34r:

I am confident that I have plumbed it in correctly, just concerned why it should fill up so quickly .

Chris

rescue dude
I know where your coming from about simplifying all pipework, could,nt agree more.

Well you would'nt use a lot of oil as it is returning back to sump.

It's a no no due to the fact any moisture in the pipes (from sitting over night) gets fed directly back into the engine :ph34r:

I am confident that I have plumbed it in correctly, just concerned why it should fill up so quickly .

Chris

While i remember i added a breather filter in the pipe to the bottom of block and the catch tank to sort out any condensation problem but this doesn't seem to have done a fat lot.

If i go from bottom of the block to the cam cover and still keep the breathable catch tank attached to the filler in the large bottom of block spigot would my engine breathe ok?

I knew my set up was not perfect but every Pug i look at has a slight variation so getting the optimum set up hasn't been easy.

rescue dude

After a bit of thinking and searching i'm going to use this set up on my 8valve.

Should be fine and is pretty tidy.

breather2.gif

309PUG
After a bit of thinking and searching i'm going to use this set up on my 8valve.

Should be fine and is pretty tidy.

breather2.gif

Hi,

Definately not, this is how I originally had it, you will be amazed how much oil passes through the cam cover pipe, it will fill your catch tank in next to no miles.

Mine is plumbed in like your sketch but the cam cover pipe is connected in its original position.

Chris

rescue dude
Hi,

Definately not, this is how I originally had it, you will be amazed how much oil passes through the cam cover pipe, it will fill your catch tank in next to no miles.

Mine is plumbed in like your sketch but the cam cover pipe is connected in its original position.

Chris

Sadly i won't be surprised about the oil because i've had it all over my engine bay more than once. :huh:

Remind me where the cam cover pipe was originally?

309PUG
Sadly i won't be surprised about the oil because i've had it all over my engine bay more than once. :huh:

Remind me where the cam cover pipe was originally?

The cam cover pipe is fixed to the bottom of the oil filler pipe (has small 'T' piece for cam cover pipe to attach) near ish the oil filter.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Guest ashnicholls

Where is the catch tank located in the engine bay.

Idealy it needs to be in the warm.

Mine had similar problems but the catch tank was located at the front of the bay near the rad, and my local tuner said that it was collecting so much because it was condensing all of the vapour being released thus filling the tank.

Cheers Ash

rescue dude

Mine had similar problems but the catch tank was located at the front of the bay near the rad, and my local tuner said that it was collecting so much because it was condensing all of the vapour being released thus filling the tank.

Cheers Ash

Mine is screwed to the bulkhead over the exhaust manifold but i still suffer with condensation. :huh:

309PUG

Cheers Ash

Hi,

Mines located roughly where the battery used to sit.

Chris

steige

Mine is located the same as yours 309pug by the sounds of things.

DSC_1008.jpg

rescue dude
Hi,

Mines located roughly where the battery used to sit.

Chris

Thats where i'm going to fit mine when i re-pipe it.

309PUG

Someone has suggested to me that the diameter of the actual pipe itself going into the catch tank could be an issue, he says you want that bore to be as big as possible within reason. Mine is only 6 - 10mm bore.

rescue dude

Off the top of my head mine is a bit bigger but definitely not smaller than std size.

309PUG

Car is going back to my engine mapper shortly, I / we will discuss this oil breather issue there and try to bottom it.

rescue dude
Car is going back to my engine mapper shortly, I / we will discuss this oil breather issue there and try to bottom it.

Yes i'll be very interested in what they have to say.

slowmo

i had this issue with my 8v, we spoke to alot of people at lots of trackdays and decided that it was best to run with the oil only half up the dip stick. this has sorted it for us, it has been 2 years now 2 trips to the 'Ring and lots of track time .

309PUG
i had this issue with my 8v, we spoke to alot of people at lots of trackdays and decided that it was best to run with the oil only half up the dip stick. this has sorted it for us, it has been 2 years now 2 trips to the 'Ring and lots of track time .

Sort of makes sense what you have done but would have thought only half filling the sump would give oil surge issues ???

Chris

pugbender

i've put the inlet of the oil catch tank with the output of the oil filler cap but i'can't see any oil after 4 hours of running it's normal?

Sign in to follow this