• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
aldo56

Air/fuel Idle?!

aldo56

im at the stage of my build where im trying to get hte car running right. Its ideling not bad at the moment exept when it first starts up. Ive been playing about with the air fuel mixture screw on the throttle body and the wee tiny screw that adjusts the idle speed.

I now have no idea what it was like originaly tho ^_^

Ive got access to an emisions machine at work and was gonna try setting it up on that.

what kind of CO's and HC's should i be looking for? and what sort of idle speed? im thinking about 1000rpm

cheers

j_turnell

Around 1-2.5 Co i generally set them to around 2.0, HC less than 400 ideally around 150-250.

Mikey G
Ive been playing about with the air fuel mixture screw on the throttle body and the wee tiny screw that adjusts the idle speed.

STOP put the screwdrivers down and take a breather...

Which screws are you adjusting? There is no mixture screw on the throttle housing, this is the 5mm allen key in the top of the AFM.

The idle screw is the brass screw in a recess in the throttle housing looking down from the top. The little screw at the back of the throttle is to set the initial throttle position and if turned can cause problems due to the switch on the back of the throttle itself which tells the ECU the car is in idle mode and the throttle is shut.

aldo56
STOP put the screwdrivers down and take a breather...

Which screws are you adjusting? There is no mixture screw on the throttle housing, this is the 5mm allen key in the top of the AFM.

The idle screw is the brass screw in a recess in the throttle housing looking down from the top. The little screw at the back of the throttle is to set the initial throttle position and if turned can cause problems due to the switch on the back of the throttle itself which tells the ECU the car is in idle mode and the throttle is shut.

thanks for the info, ive been turning the two screws on the throttle body. what would you advise to set the car up properly?

cheers

Rob_the_Sparky

Now I'm worried - two screws? which car have you got?

There is normally a large brass screw, this controls the throttle bypass (idle). The only other screw I can think of is the throttle plate end-stop. This should not normally need to be adjusted, it is a set-up and forget adjuster.

Idle mixture is on the AFM and is used to adjust idle mixture, the brass throttle body screw is used to control idle speed.

To set-up I'd recommend first giving everything a good clean, (particularly the AFM and throttle body) then adjust the ignition timing, then move on to idle mixture once the ignition tming is correct.

Idle speed can be adjusted at any point in the process (and will probably need a fiddle as you change other things).

Rob

aldo56
Now I'm worried - two screws? which car have you got?

There is normally a large brass screw, this controls the throttle bypass (idle). The only other screw I can think of is the throttle plate end-stop. This should not normally need to be adjusted, it is a set-up and forget adjuster.

Idle mixture is on the AFM and is used to adjust idle mixture, the brass throttle body screw is used to control idle speed.

To set-up I'd recommend first giving everything a good clean, (particularly the AFM and throttle body) then adjust the ignition timing, then move on to idle mixture once the ignition tming is correct.

Idle speed can be adjusted at any point in the process (and will probably need a fiddle as you change other things).

Rob

yeh it must have been the throttle splate end- stop screw. i had a look at setting up the timing and im finding it hard to get a reading from the gearbox with the coolant pipe in the way. any tricks to this??

cheers

Rob_the_Sparky

Try a search, it has been a while but have been through it a few times on here so a search should get results. Basically you can set it up on a trial and error basis by adjusting, check for pinking and repeat. The gearbox whatsit you are meant to use is a total git to get to so most don't bother. I think someone said it was possible using a short pipe to hold things out the way so you can see it but I've never tried it.

Rob

aldo56

cheers for the help guys! got it sorted

Sign in to follow this