• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

Mi16 Head

driversdomainuk

Hi

I am correct in thinking that an Mi head with fit directly onto an 8v block..?

I am considering going down the Mi16 route for next season and instead of having to buy an entire engine I can just buy the head, pay for work on it and then when the time is right put it on to my 8V block...so much easier to store etc.... :wub:

Anyway I have seen this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/405-205-Mi16-head-Mi...1QQcmdZViewItem

Should I buy this, as I could do the porting etc (well not myself) get cams....then get a suitable garage to take my old 8v head off and drop thsi one on...will also be able to add my twin 45 to them also

cheers

B1ack_Mi16

Sure it's a 1.9 Mi16 head, but your compression would be rather low if you're putting it onto a 8v block.

So can't see that work very well at all if you're not planning on running boost, or changing pistons to raise compression etc.

driversdomainuk
Sure it's a 1.9 Mi16 head, but your compression would be rather low if you're putting it onto a 8v block.

So can't see that work very well at all if you're not planning on running boost, or changing pistons to raise compression etc.

Well, I have just had a bottom end rebuild on my 8v including new piston rings, all new bearings reground crank and new oil pump. It would just seem mad to bin it all now - hence wanting to buy the head alone.

I am going for a pair of rally cams (as I will also have webers to add to them) so the CR will need to be raised anyhow - can I do this by skimming a bit more of the head? if not what option will I have..?

Also going for a BVH too

Also, will I be able to use my current inlet manifold or will that have to be changed..?

willxs

could you not skim abit off the block? saves you having to skim most of the allowance off the head?

Sandy

eeyore has an 8v block which has all the work done for the MI head which he might be selling, PM him?

miamistu

Quote from Miles:

You can put an 8v head on the 16v block but not the other way around due to the cam belt tensioners, plus on the 16v block you've got oil spray bar under the pistons

:wub:

driversdomainuk
Quote from Miles:

:wub:

Quote Matt from QEP in an email I had a few months back:

"The we have to modify the 8v block to take the 16v tensioners and possibly the 16v oil spray bars (depending on how much power you are looking for) and rebuild the Mi16 engine with this block."

So I think I can fit it :lol:

gti_al

I don't wish to be rude, but that seems like a strange way to do things... With the access you guys have to engines, why not just make life easy and start again? I'm sure the cost of new rings would be offset by the savings in machining/pistons/f*cking around.

Inlet/exhaust are different too... plus the mi16 crank has counter balancing weights. (noticed this when i compared my crank to an 8 valve the other day)

driversdomainuk
I don't wish to be rude, but that seems like a strange way to do things... With the access you guys have to engines, why not just make life easy and start again? I'm sure the cost of new rings would be offset by the savings in machining/pistons/f*cking around.

Inlet/exhaust are different too... plus the mi16 crank has counter balancing weights. (noticed this when i compared my crank to an 8 valve the other day)

I will be using my webers so the inlet manifold suely would not have to change? I guess I would just need to get my hands on a Mi16 exhanust manifold and that would be fine?

StuF215

Just get a 16v block it should be first on the list if your going for a bhv, rally cams, carbs and the like. Your gona be doing more than 8v rpm remember. Better crank, liners, flywheel, correct c/r, pistons.

Sell your recon 8v block, alot of work to save changing it.

Stu

driversdomainuk
Just get a 16v block it should be first on the list if your going for a bhv, rally cams, carbs and the like. Your gona be doing more than 8v rpm remember. Better crank, liners, flywheel, correct c/r, pistons.

Sell your recon 8v block, alot of work to save changing it.

Stu

Hi - thing is I am limited on space/have very basic mechanical skills...there is no way I could store an engine at my house, and they are not the sort of things you can just pickup and store on a shelf ^_^

I might even consider buying an old BX 16v and keep it on a friends drive, have it rebuilt in situ then transplant when ready - what better way to transport an engine...i.e under the bonnet!!! :D

M_R_205
Hi - thing is I am limited on space/have very basic mechanical skills...there is no way I could store an engine at my house, and they are not the sort of things you can just pickup and store on a shelf :D

I might even consider buying an old BX 16v and keep it on a friends drive, have it rebuilt in situ then transplant when ready - what better way to transport an engine...i.e under the bonnet!!! :P

if storage is a problem could a mate not keep it hin his garage / shed?

if you were local you could keep it at my place but im a bit far away ^_^

what i did is buy a shed, stick it in the garden and cram all my parents gargening junk and bikes into that :D

just a thought

petert

Belt tensioners are the least of your worry for using a 16V head on an 8V block. The biggest issue is the top engine mount. Only three of the five bolts can be used, that join the mount to the block.

Baz
Belt tensioners are the least of your worry for using a 16V head on an 8V block. The biggest issue is the top engine mount. Only three of the five bolts can be used, that join the mount to the block.

Now that definitely throws a spanner in the works! :o

NNN
Now that definitely throws a spanner in the works! :o

Well... I have to say I dont completely agree with that.... I mean... its true, the tensioner and the top engine mount (a 1.8 16v fits just fine i think) are the things that require quite some effort but its not that big a deal imho.

Engine blocks are quite expensive here in Argentina, the serial # and paperwork its quite complicated and therefor the 16conv are done by swapping heads.

In fact the 2.0 86mm head is the most common. May be what´s lost there is gain in not having to tilt the engine (i dont know how hard can it be), slightly lower center of gravity and 15kg of weight saving, although i reckon that pistons need to be changed, so i guess it really has to do with how much you want to work and what´s cheaper for you given the things at hand... in a budget proyect of course.

driversdomainuk
Well... I have to say I dont completely agree with that.... I mean... its true, the tensioner and the top engine mount (a 1.8 16v fits just fine i think) are the things that require quite some effort but its not that big a deal imho.

Engine blocks are quite expensive here in Argentina, the serial # and paperwork its quite complicated and therefor the 16conv are done by swapping heads.

In fact the 2.0 86mm head is the most common. May be what´s lost there is gain in not having to tilt the engine (i dont know how hard can it be), slightly lower center of gravity and 15kg of weight saving, although i reckon that pistons need to be changed, so i guess it really has to do with how much you want to work and what´s cheaper for you given the things at hand... in a budget proyect of course.

All getting too much !!!! :o:P

I think I will keep with my 8v until whenever....

Will let you all know LOL

DrSarty

Well if you still want an Mi head, for farting around with whatever, as it needs one x spark plug hole heli-coiled you can have it for £25. No hydraulic tappets provided but otherwise in perfect working order with newly ground in valves and minor cleaning (basic visual flowing) done.

Rich

P.S. Due to my next iron block 2183cc project, my alloy block will soon be for sale also.

Cheeky or what! :P:o

Sign in to follow this