• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Adnic69

Another Mi Conversion In The Making.

Adnic69

Yet another MI conversion in the making. I thought that I would post my progress and any problems I find along the way.

Started tuesday night after work and managed to do the following.

Disconnected all battery wires, ht leads etc, removed battery, removed both manifolds, removed starter and alternator, removed engine bay loom back to ecu, removed ecu, removed head, took out the driveshafts and dropped the box.

Thursday I managed to remove the rest of the block and stripped out as much rubbish as I could, leaving me with it as in the picture below.

dsc00886wo6.jpg

Today I have been doing more stripping of wiring and getting as much out of the bay as I can so that it makes it easier for me to spray. I will be putting gunk on everything and getting the jet wash out to get rid of all the old oil and crap.

I have got two questions that you could help me with. In the first picture below what the hell is that and do I need it?

In the second picture there is a nest of wires, can this be reduced or the black box removed and tidy up the rest of the wires?

picture007uh8.jpg

picture008ga1.jpg

taylorspug

The first picture shows the headlight resistor, usually found bolted onto the front panel below the passenger headlight, and yes it is needed.

The second pic is the main power fuse box that powers up the entire car, so you may well need that! :D The permanent live on the MI loom plugs into this, and it mounts up onto a bracket on the slam panel (or at least it should do). All you will need to take out of that is the power connector for the old jetronic loom.

Edited by taylorspug

Adnic69

Quick update.

Saturday was spent treating any rust that I found in the engine bay, glad to say there was not much at all, now cutting or welding needed so I am happy about that.

I spent lastnight preparing for spraying the engine bay for spraying and managed to get a good coat of barcoat on, this will reduce the risk of there being a reaction between old and new paints.

I also got a delivery of QEP parts and my head back. All looks lovely and will be being put back together in a week or so.

I will upload pictures of my progress later.

Adnic69

Very sorry for the amazingly slow updates.

The car now has the MI in and am just going through a few wiring problems then it will be up and running.

More or less everything was degreased and painted or sprayed to make it look as professional as I could. Below are picture of some of the things I did. As for the engine, the head was sent to QEP for 3 angle seats and the cam is a stage 1 grind from petert. I took the bottom end appart and rebuilt that myself, all new parts used.

The engine bay ready for spraying now.

clio116al5.jpg

Shot with DSC-P10 at 2007-06-27

clio117hl9.jpg

Pistons cleaned and are now rid of carbon

dsc01073rm0.jpg

AFM looked poor so gave that a clean and spray too.

dsc01075dw7.jpg

Fuel rail after spraying

dsc01076gs8.jpg

More to come

Adnic69

dsc01077eb5.jpg

dsc01078ab6.jpg

dsc01079hp8.jpg

dsc01082uw8.jpg

dsc01083xj1.jpg

dsc01085yo8.jpg

There are not many other inbetween pictures. The other pictures will show the completed install.

Edited by jackherer

Adnic69

Bloody imageshack!! Will upload the engine pictures later.

jackherer
Bloody imageshack!! Will upload the engine pictures later.

fixed, kindof... tbh I think its a bug in the forum code causing that.

Guest mattyh

That looks really good. Makes me regret just putting my Mi in not cleaning the engine bay out a bit more. Never mind, next time!

Good luck with the rest of the project!

Adnic69

Thank you.

I am just fussy and coulnt put it in all dirty.

I just want the bloody thing running. If it behaves then it can stay, if it starts playing up then I am off to buy another MR2 Turbo and have plans for 300 bhp at the wheels, which should be nice.

Sign in to follow this