• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty_gti

She Just Cut Out...

matty_gti

Well.....after replacing the cam belt and water pump last week as it was leaking i thought every thing would be just dandie!....so when running around i was in 2nd doin 4k just when i peaked on a bridge near me 'BOOM' :wacko: , the whole car died and i quickly just saw the battery light fade as i drifted onto a curb banging my head on the steering wheel!!! ;) .....i thort maybe just a battery conection so i gave it a wiggle but still nothing!.

When i got a lift home and back to the car again i had a look if there was any power from the battery, i connected my multimter up to the battery and engine, i got 12.57v and the same with the battery to the body with a bit of a scrape with the pointers on my multimeter...so again i tested lights and starter and still nothing!, even my immobliser isnt flashing.....basically i dnt have a battery in my car, all electrics gone!!! :ph34r: ........any idea?!?

ThAnKs

Edited by matty_gti

boldy205

so even with a decent battery the cars electrics dont work? is that voltage at the battery with the engine running (i presume not).

maybe im a bit tired but the post isnt totaly clear (i do appreciate it is difficult to get you point accross when writing it rather that talking, i tend to confuse myself sometimes!! :wacko: )

matty_gti
so even with a decent battery the cars electrics dont work? is that voltage at the battery with the engine running (i presume not).

Correct, the electrics still dont work even tho 12+v are coming from the battery :wacko: No, the engine wont run becasue there is no power what so ever,lol.

Edited by matty_gti

Miles

Worth checking the main power feed into the car from the Fuse box under the bonnet, never known one to fall off before thou

chrisj21

hi this same thing happend to me as i went screaching round a corner at 70mph.

all electrics dead!!!!!

anyway theres a small black box attached to the slam panel on the passenger side with two fuses in it.theres a wire mine was yellow that comes from the battery to this box mine had come off but was very hidden and took me ages to find. so maybe it has somthing to do with that either a wire or a fuse maybe???

hope this helps

boldy205

all earths ok? as in the one on the gear box and the ones on the body? and of course your positives too!! sounds like a (very) bad connection!

matty_gti

Damm this forum is good! :wacko:

"Miles - Worth checking the main power feed into the car from the Fuse box under the bonnet, never known one to fall off before thou"

The thing your talking about, is that the black box on the slam panel?

Cheers, tomorrow then ill have a look at the black box to see if any cables have come loose!.

P.s, all the fuses are ok :ph34r:

Thanks for the input guys!...any other things it could be??

Edited by matty_gti

chrisj21

a wild stab in the dark but maybe have a look at the ignition barrell end of things for loose disconected wires.anything can happen on a 15-20 year old car!!!!!!!

good look and keep us posted

matty_gti
all earths ok? as in the one on the gear box and the ones on the body? and of course your positives too!! sounds like a (very) bad connection!

Yeah pretty sure they are as im getting the same voltage wherever on the car, but just to narrow it down ill take them all off, clean them and put them back together.

matty_gti
a wild stab in the dark but maybe have a look at the ignition barrell end of things for loose disconected wires.anything can happen on a 15-20 year old car!!!!!!!

good look and keep us posted

Hmm, could be but would that affect the working of the lights, wipers and immobiliser ect?

ThAnKs

taylorspug
Worth checking the main power feed into the car from the Fuse box under the bonnet, never known one to fall off before thou

Damm this forum is good! :D

"Miles - Worth checking the main power feed into the car from the Fuse box under the bonnet, never known one to fall off before thou"

The thing your talking about, is that the black box on the slam panel?

Cheers, tomorrow then ill have a look at the black box to see if any cables have come loose!.

P.s, all the fuses are ok :D

Thanks for the input guys!...any other things it could be??

Id go for the power feed cable from the battery to the distribution box on the slam panel as Miles has said. Coincidentally a mate of mine had this exact wire fall off a few months back, its the first time i had ever seen it happen and i was bloody suprised! In the end this will cut EVERYTHING, as it feeds power to the whole car from that wire. :(

Edited by taylorspug

jackherer

The main power feed cable to the shunt box fell off on my 205 years ago as I stopped at a roundabout, the ring connector had snapped just below the bolt that connects it.

DrSarty

This little black box, which is really a power distrubution block can also be mounted to the front of the battery tray. Look there if it isn't on the slam panel.

Good luck, but I reckon this is the fault and YES...this forum is the nuts :D

DrS :(

Edited by DrSarty

Grim.Badger

Some of them may have two wires running to the distribution box, although they are not both needed.

I decided to replace my primary positives a couple of months ago because of some bad bodge work by the previous owner.

There were two wires that should have run to the dist box but one had snapped off at the box and been cut off closer to the battery leaving about 2" of badly insulated live positive.

I replaced the entire wire with one from an immaculate 306 S16, they use the same length and guage wire.

matty_gti

Well my fellow pug lovers this was the problem....

BB.jpg

After a bit of rumiging around i foud a bit of amp cable so did myself a new conection while just wrapping up the old cable at the end....

Cablepic.jpg

Thanks very much for the help!!!! :(

DrSarty

-------INVOICE-------

That'll be £423.67 incl VAT sir.

Immediate payment required.

Rich

:(

matty_gti
-------INVOICE-------

That'll be £423.67 incl VAT sir.

Immediate payment required.

Rich

:(

:D Sounds familiar....

chrisj21

ah yes good point. start from the battery and work you way around the wiring then something must have come loose somewhere!!!!

good look

James_m

Same thing also happened to my car. I ended up swapping the entire battery positive from a 405 mi16, which is considerably longer than the 205 original btw so not ideal :ph34r:

jackherer

I suspect ALL the people that have had this cable break at that point have also fitted K&Ns meaning the shunt box has been relocated and therefore the stresses on the connector will be different after being stable for 15+ years.

Sign in to follow this